USRA Folded?

chiefs13

From the front page story on Speedzone:

"The team’s Super Late Model car will once again be piloted by Chris Davidson. Davidson and his Turner Motorsports #41 Super Late Model team won the USRA Super Late Model Series crown in 2006. However, they will not be back to defend, as the series folded during the off-season."

Folded? Is this the "OFFICIAL" word?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speed51 also had something the other day about the SLM disbanding. It is obvious about the SLM. I am surprised though we haven't seen a PR from the USRA/SAS PR department regarding this. I guess sometimes its just easier to not say anything and hope everyone forgets. Just think how things were at the beginning of 05. So much promise. Wheres Terry Barden and Robert Mullins?

Speed51 also had something the other day about the SLM disbanding. It is obvious about the SLM. I am surprised though we haven't seen a PR from the USRA/SAS PR department regarding this. I guess sometimes its just easier to not say anything and hope everyone forgets. Just think how things were at the beginning of 05. So much promise. Wheres Terry Barden and Robert Mullins?

Terry Barden is the race director at THR. Robert Mullins is probably still making plenty o cabage selling heavy equipment.

Sorry Jason. I know your question was rhetorical. I too will miss seeing the SLM cars run.

I'll try to explain the future of the USRA Super Late Models, including the reason for no press releases so far.

Let me start with a quote in Rick Day's letter to all USRA drivers (SLM, Mods & Trucks) dated January 24, 2007:

An announcement will be made at the SAS/USRA banquet on February 17 regarding a possible race date for the USRA Super Late Models. A final decision has not been made on the future of this series.

As you might know from reading the posts on TSZ, Doug O'Neal from Hill Country Satellite has been trying to put a SLM Outlaw race together. It would be misleading for USRA to put out an announcement about the series "folding" if we're trying to work with Doug to put on one or two races at SAS in 2007.

On the other hand, we have not been successful in promoting the USRA SLMs as a "touring" series. During December, Rick and I met with the staffs at THR, HMP and CCS. Although we had good meetings with each of the tracks, they all felt that the SLMs were too costly to run at their tracks. The SLM purse is over $16,000, and the income from grandstand tickets and pit passes is inadequate to cover the purse and other expenses related to the series.

It boils down to car count = fans = $$$, simply put. For example, when USRA offered $5,000 to win at a special race in 2006, SAS had an 11-car field and paid the full purse. The equation didn't balance.

I'm not sure why Robert Mullins decided to sell the series, but I wouldn't be surprised if considerable money losses were a big factor (just my guess and not a fact). It's defintely a factor in determining the future of this series.

I can tell you this, Robert did not sell The Romco Series because of loosing money. He sold it because his bussines came first. His father was getting ready to retire and Robert was needing to take over more control of the business as well as over seeing the expansion of the engine shop.Also Robert wanted to see the series grow and thought this would be the best way for that to happen. As far as losing money on the series it cost Robert a pretty good chunk of change to get the thing of the ground. Robert spared no expense to get the right equipment and some training for the people to tech the cars. The purses for the series races werenot completely paid for by the tracks as was the case before he started Romco, his company as being the title sponsor plus other sponsors helped with what the tracks did not.

When we leased SAS for two years, and paid for two other series to race with us, WE MADE MONEY. This was even after paying for two ambulances to be at the track, 2 more security, double wreckers, and all advertising. I know that it can be done.

With someone like Doug, who knows how to advertise, he probably get it done.

Good luck to all SLM drivers. I hope something gets worked out or aleast some of the other tracks might put together some races of there own.

Terry Barden

oh....so now USRA is trying to work with Doug on this deal too.

I wonder how many SLM teams are aware of that?

Its so nice getting info thru the grape vine.

Debwill... dont you think that feb might be a little late for scheduling a slm race?

I know it was Ricks quote but come on, if they have decided by now, their not going to.

TD has made it well known he has no use for the series. In return, some of the series have no use for him.

Im not trying to cause any trouble here but deal with the USRA SLM's is dead. Let it go.

SLM Owner, Driver, Crew

well put mudpacker. it's the responsibility of the series to promote it (not the race track, the drivers, fans nor car sponsors) and part of "promote" means finding sponsors for races.

That's what I've been saying on here for years.

Easier said than done...

Nick

All that stink caused and names called when I dared to ask if USRA and the Hill Country race were somehow in collaboration... hmm

how predictable and history does repeat itself (no way in relation to TIDA/Neil or ROMCO)

Thank you Neil Upchurch, Terry Barden, and Robert Mullins for the series' I grew up watching. Will miss the great racing.

Here you guys go.

HCWS is a sponsor for USRA/SAS...

Prediction....

USRA will drop the SLM class and HCWS will be sponsoring a 3-5 race series at GASP...SAS. All responsible parties will come out "clean" in this because everyone was to busy drooling over this race and the rug was pulled under what we used to call the Texas Tornado Tour. All it took was 2 years!

I am sorry to rain on the parade but the writing is on the wall. I bet we get a great "PR" about the outlaw race and a little sniplet about how the slm's are dropped. Just predictions. None of this has happened yet officially but don't be surprised when it does.

The BIG question is...who is really behind this outlaw race and who/what group will administer it?

Jason

hmmmm

and of coarse I got bashes from Rusty Mirth, Mel Krauss wanted me banned for bringing up the idea of it all, Doug of coarse. Kind of surprised I didnt get a response from Hallas or Rosie on the post as they are usually on there after me pretty quick.

You can paint a cow any color you want but its still a cow. Lets get a MOOOOOOO going.

PREDICTABLE!~

well put mudpacker. it's the responsibility of the series to promote it (not the race track, the drivers, fans nor car sponsors) and part of "promote" means finding sponsors for races.

That's what I've been saying on here for years.

Easier said than done...

Nick

Nick,

This is not a shot at you, USRA, any track, or anybody or anything in particular. With that disclaimer in place:

Of course its easier said than done. But it is that simple.

That's why some businesses succeed and some don't. If it was easy me and Jason would have a Track and we would both be bathin' in Champagne. There are only 3 things it takes to make a series or track successful.

1. Money-as in cash flow

2. A product that your market wants

3. A progressive active promoter/manager that gets ahead of the curve and stays there. This can mean cutting costs, increasing payouts, increasing marketing, changing the rules, any number of things. I don't have the answers, but I can guarantee you that I know how to get them.

I don't know the demographics of the market back in the ROMCO Days. I do know that there seems to be plenty of guys out there that are willing to supply the SLM product. Is there a market for it? I don't know. Maybe others know that answer. I am not saying that where the SLM's are is anyone's fault. I am saying that either there's a place for it or there's not. If there is they will survive, if there's not they won't. Its as simple as that.

I get tired of fans blaming tracks, tracks blaming series, drivers blaming everybody, and fans whinin.

The track and the series doesn't owe the driver anything.

But from a business standpoint he needs to do something to attract them.

The fan doesn't owe the driver anything. He's paying to watch you play with very expensive toys.

The driver doesn't owe the track or series anything. He's looking for a place to play.

When someone pleases enough people then they will come play in his series/track. When enough people play in his series/track more people will come watch. When more people come watch more people will pay to have their name in front of those people(sponsorship.) When the track/series is successful it can more successfully dictate the classes and rules. Why should anybody put up with changes that cost them a lot of money when there is no consensus that it will increase opportunities for them to use their new or altered equipment. Why should a track/series change (or not change a rule) just to get 11 cars to show up.

No its not easy and doing everything right does not guarantee success, but IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

On edit- I do think what the Doug guy was doing was the right way to get something started. Remember he was just trying to get a race on, not a series or a class. If it worked then maybe it would go somewhere.

That's why some businesses succeed and some don't. If it was easy me and Jason would have a Track and we would both be bathin' in Champagne. There are only 3 things it takes to make a series or track successful.

1. Money-as in cash flow

3. A progressive active promoter/manager that gets ahead of the curve and stays there. This can mean cutting costs, increasing payouts, increasing marketing, changing the rules, any number of things. I don't have the answers, but I can guarantee you that I know how to get them.

Sounds easy enough... Give Terry Dickerson a call and make an offer for the SLM series.

Nick

Jason:

I actually got accussed by many at SAS for inaccurate reporting with this story:

USRA may be dropping Super Late Model Series in 2007

It appears that there really is truth to the contents of this column that I wrote last October.

Stay tuned. I'll be posting a new column on this subject within the next few days.

Mike Haag

Mike,

May I suggest that this time you actually call Terry Dickerson as part of your preparation for your story?

Nick

Jason:

I actually got accussed by many at SAS for inaccurate reporting with this story:

USRA may be dropping Super Late Model Series in 2007

It appears that there really is truth to the contents of this column that I wrote last October.

Stay tuned. I'll be posting a new column on this subject within the next few days.

Mike Haag

Mike,

May I suggest that this time you actually call Terry Dickerson as part of your preparation for your story?

Nick

Come on, Nick. Why let something as small as facts get in the way of an article?

1. Money-as in cash flow

Sounds easy enough... Give Terry Dickerson a call and make an offer for the SLM series.

Nick

Nick, At the first usra meeting in San Marcos, we were told there was know reason for us not to have sponsors. That there are plenty of sponsors out there, so there is know excuse for us not to get them. Actions speak volumes. All that talk just wasted alot of peoples time...

Archived