Racing Club

Guest noclutch

Guest noclutch

Since there are not many fans in the stands or sponsors to support the race track, maybe they should go to the County Club type deal. Charge the racers a fee to join the track club to race, plus monthly dues, or they can pay an inflated per race fee, but could only race once or twice a month without a membership. If you can afford a race car, you should be able to afford a membership. There are fishing clubs, hunting clubs, golf clubs, so why wouldnt this work? Plus it might keep the riff raff out.

Fire Away

Edited by noclutch

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would happen if the NBA , NFL , WWE or Boxing got rid of all the riff raff. People are still paying boat loads of cash to watch Tyson on PPV and he sux. They (me included) buy it to see what the psychotic maniac is going to do next. How many jersey's does Allen Iverson sell? He's a thug. Stone Cold Steve Austin is as riff raff as it gets and he is or was the hero of the WWE. Pick one in the NFL. The sponsors are lined up to spend the bucks.

Sometimes riff raffs can sell tickets. Remember when all the retaliation crap was going on a month or two ago in Nascar (can't remember which race it was)? The next weeks ratings went thru the roof. Not that they are riff raff but the were doing some riff raff type crap. I understand that I'm comparing apples to oranges but theres a connection.

Guest noclutch

now your talking Jracer, put a little ko kart track for the kids in the middle, something for the ladies to do besides carry around a clipboard. A little clubhouse with full service to get out of the weather, does not even have to be fancy.

Big Fat, the difference is it is not working here now, and it has not worked here, so why would it change? South Texas racing is not the NFL, NBA, WWE, in fact, they are the competition for the entertainment dollar. They all have huge corporate sponsors already, you cant compete with them.

Edited by noclutch

OK. I have a plan.

I am organizing the Texas Racing Club. $1000 will get you a membership. $200 monthly dues. $500 per race.

Send your money to me. Heck, I'll throw in one of my invisible chassis to the first 50 charter members! What a deal.

LOL..

Nick Holt

now your talking Jracer...

that was just a little "elitist" movie humor. I've been the president of such a club and it is no bargain to have to rule against your competitors on some issue (even when they are dead wrong). You quickly find that ruling "for" somebody's point is defacto ruling "against" somebody else's.

I am thankful that there are still "third party" officials to deal with such things.

Be careful what you wish for...

Jay

clutch,

Like I said apples and oranges. Might be a good idea. I just don't think that us riff raffs are a part of the problem.

Nick,

Is that american $??? I hope not. I could afford it if it were pesos. Barely.

Guest noclutch

If the tracks are happy with what they are doing now, that is great, keep doing what you are doing. It just seems like Kyle and San Marcos is closing in on Thunderhil and San Antonio and Toyota are closing in on San Antonio Speedway. It may be that if you do not make the neighbors part of your deal, they will buy you out or put political pressure on, either way, not good.

From casual observation it appears that HMP runs as if it were SCCA or club racing. The series that run pay entry fees (track rental), the track provides a place to run but no purse. If the series wants to pay a monetary reward to the winning driver, the track does not contribute, the purse is provided by the series that is renting the track time. No different than SCCA, BMW club, Porsche club, Corvette club, etc.. except they charge admission through the front gate.

Members get to drive fast -- legally

By Andrius Mikonis

CHICAGO — Do you have a fast car but nowhere to see what it will do? A driving country club may be coming to a metropolitan area near you.

Think golf country club amenities, but with a racetrack instead of links. It’s a place close to home where members can go to exercise their cars and driving abilities in a safe environment, without worrying about speed traps. Most importantly, this is not professional racing, but rather somewhere to drive as fast as you like, as often as you like.

The idea has evolved over the last few years, with three clubs already open and with more on the way. Established clubs are attracting everyone from professional drivers and racecar builders to car enthusiasts. The only qualifications members need are a fast car, driving certification to be determined by the facility, and of course, you have to pay to play.

The key here is the club component, setting these businesses apart from the traditional racetrack venue by offering regular on-track driving opportunities without having to join a sanctioning body or wait for special events. This most often takes the form of a country club model, where members pay an initiation fee and annual dues for track access and use of a clubhouse and related facilities.

A prime example is the Autobahn Country Club, which opened this spring in Joliet, Ill., and is an hour's drive from downtown Chicago. “It’s the first purpose-built club of its kind,†says founder and president Mark Basso, “We’re getting a lot of interest from around the country.â€

A carefully landscaped 3.57-mile road course winds around 320 acres. A larger clubhouse is in the works to supplement the Autobahn’s current building. Members can also lease trackside lots to build their own garage and spectator buildings.

"Members are on their own as far as insurance coverage if they wreck their car, but they are covered as participants under the club's liability insurance," Basso said.

But men aren't the ones having all the fun. Three primary members are women. Steve Wagner, one of the four founders of ACC says there are several members' wives, almost a dozen by his estimate, who come out and drive on a regular basis.

Developer Matt Page, who is laying out plans for a soon-to-be announced 800-acre site in northern Texas, says his country club will feature a combination of Old English architecture and “the look of a Kentucky horse farm.†Even garage facilities will resemble stables. Page wants it to feel more like an exclusive and relaxing retreat than a racetrack. Truck access to the paddock will be through a separate entrance to keep the operations behind the scenes. A high level of service, including a concierge, will be this club’s hallmark.

A quite different club idea is under construction at the Miller Motorsports Park near Salt Lake City. Alan Wilson, who designed Autobahn and many other tracks worldwide, said this setup is based on drivers’ clubs at the Goodwood and Silverstone tracks in England and the Sports Car Club of South Africa, which he says are “great social places where at any time you could bump into Formula One drivers.â€

The Miller Motorsports Park track will hold sanctioned races — four organizations have already signed on — as well as have a private club that will have a core membership, but will also be open to credentialed members of the visiting race. Home club members will not only have ample track use, but also free spectator access during races where they will be able to meet and socialize with the incoming group. “The idea is to mix and match elements of motorsports,†explains Wilson.

Autobahn management feels that opening the private club to car shows is important for business, with plans to include a public car museum as part of the clubhouse. “It adds to the excitement of the race track atmosphere, but the members will always have a private area to retreat to,†Basso said.

The cost of annual fees differs between each club. Racers can expect to spend $3,000 annually at the Autobahn Country Club, $100 to $175 per month at the Virginia International Raceway, and $50 to $75 per month at Ranch. Also, the VIR and Ranch have additional charges for usage by day or half hour, respectively, while ACC does not. Most of the clubs in development have pricing posted to pre-sell memberships.

The main attraction at all these clubs is a road-racing course, though some of the clubs will offer other driving venues such as kart tracks, skidpads, and less commonly drag strips and off-road trails. Though driver certification is required by all, typically these tracks are designed with safety in mind because a wide variety of skill levels will be accommodated. This means ample room to run off the track without hitting anything, as well as limiting speeds by keeping the length of the straightaways relatively short.

Matt Page, however, says his Texas club will have a much longer straightaway on one of three courses for only the most competent drivers, as this will be useful for manufacturers that might rent the track for testing. “Everything will be built to SCCA standards,†he said. “Safety is first.â€

Another feature nearly all these clubs possess is a track with multiple configurations, allowing club members to drive simultaneously and independently while another group can rent another part of the track. You’ll see anything from street cars to vintage race cars to motorcycles. Page says he wants to “celebrate all kinds of motorized vehicles,†and he wants to make room for “gearheads with muscle cars, even Model T’s.â€

All of these racing clubs run in much the same way, by grouping similar vehicles and drivers together to go out on the track for a predetermined length of time, then the next group goes out. Occasionally, there might be timed racing. Rental customers include car clubs looking for track time, sanctioned organizations holding races, manufacturers for testing, consumer events, or training employees, and corporate clients looking for an activity. “We sold out every weekend and 60 percent of the weekdays,†Basso said. “It takes the burden off the members to have to cover all the operating costs.â€

Location is an important consideration. Back in 2000, the scenic 3.27-mile road course of the Virginia International Raceway was resurrected after a long hiatus, and reopened as America’s first driving country club. However, it is billed as a resort destination catering to both in-state and out-of-state members. The advantage of a club like Autobahn is its proximity to a major city; the club is 49 miles from Chicago. “You can leave the office at noon, get an afternoon of driving in, and still be home for dinner,†Basso said.

Alan Wilson thinks noise is the biggest problem with getting a new club built in a populated area these days. “The noise issue doesn’t have to be a necessity,†he says, pointing out that most recreational drivers won’t see any difference driving a car on the track with a muffed exhaust. “These clubs will evolve, and without the noise will no longer be a negative to the surrounding area. Then they will be more socially acceptable.â€

The demand is there. At the end of Autobahn’s season, only 20 memberships remained available from the original 300. “We had an amazing year,†said Basso.

Clubs in Operation:

Autobahn Country Club

Joliet, Ill.

815/722-2223

autobahnmb@comcast.net

www.autobahncountryclub.net

Motorsport Ranch

Cresson, Texas

817/512-3162

info@motorsportranch.com

www.motorsportranch.com

VIRginia International Raceway Motorsport Country Club

Alton, Va.

434/822-7700

www.virclub.com

Clubs to watch:

Miller Motorsports Park

Tooele, Utah

801/563-4175

bmiller@millermotorportspark.com

http://millermotorsportspark.com

Club Motorsports, Valley Motorsports Park

Tamworth, N.H.

www.clubmotorsports.com

New Jersey Motorsports Park

Millville, N.J.

www.njmotorsportspark.com

Pine Run Motorsports Park

Pine City, Minn.

651/982-4778

info@pinerunracing.com

www.pinerunracing.com

Texas World Speedway has a Motorsports Club as well - http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/msc.htm

Also, Motorsport Ranch Houston will be open soon.

Edited by Waco Racer

What would happen if the NBA , NFL , WWE or Boxing got rid of all the riff raff. People are still paying boat loads of cash to watch Tyson on PPV and he sux. They (me included) buy it to see what the psychotic maniac is going to do next. How many jersey's does Allen Iverson sell? He's a thug. Stone Cold Steve Austin is as riff raff as it gets and he is or was the hero of the WWE. Pick one in the NFL. The sponsors are lined up to spend the bucks.

Sometimes riff raffs can sell tickets. Remember when all the retaliation crap was going on a month or two ago in Nascar (can't remember which race it was)? The next weeks ratings went thru the roof. Not that they are riff raff but the were doing some riff raff type crap. I understand that I'm comparing apples to oranges but theres a connection.

Tyson, Austin and Iverson are not Riff-Raff. They never come to the meetings, so have been kicked out...

Guest noclutch

Nice Work Wacoracer,

That is exactly what I was talking about. Something more than just racing for the diehards, and you actually attract customers that have plenty of disposable income. So why would anyone think it is a joke? First class place, nearly sold out, more being built. There is lots of money being thrown around right now to do things like this.

I run a country club. Its very costly and I dont see how it would work. If everyone had to pay their dues, you would have to have a full time accountant to keep sending letters to the members who were behind on their dues. Everybody knows that we are all poor! We would all be on the dredful member suspension list.

San Antonio and Toyota are closing in on San Antonio Speedway. It may be that if you do not make the neighbors part of your deal, they will buy you out or put political pressure on

i thought you wanted to keep the riff raff out..........hahaha

If everyone had to pay their dues, you would have to have a full time accountant to keep sending letters to the members who were behind on their dues

and when money is involved, usually so is skimming.........racing was built on hard working simple class people, now that it is becoming yuppyfied, the higher ups seem to want to turn their heads on their roots.......if brian france has his way, nascar will no longer serve beer and burgers at the races, they will be serving champaign and caviar, and that is when i turn my head on nascar.............jmo

Guest noclutch

By far, the most fans to ever attend a race at Thunderhill was a Nascar race that catered to Corporate America. The Big Shot races, which were promoted only localy, were not even close in attendance. Cant argue facts. Things have changed and businesses must change with times in order to compete.

Edited by noclutch

Guest noclutch

TQ,

By local, I meant the inner circle of the racing community. They did not have cars down town Austin, outside vendors selling tickets and so on. Allstate & HEB may have a presence in Austin, but they are not from Ausitn. Some of the greatest hot shoes in the United States were in that race and the stands were half empty. For all of you car count people, the Big Shot had 50 to 60 cars and half full stands. Nascar, who is run by Bill France (for you rebelracer), had 21 cars, had to bring in extra stands. There is nothing wrong with the Tracks or car counts, it is a Marketing deal. People will buy anything.

Blueoval,

You said you were employed by a county club. The accounting folks are brainwashed into collecting those dues and fees because they need the cash flow. The owners actually make a little money when people do not pay their bills. People have paid initiation fees and monthly dues are paid in advance each month. When someone is in arrears on their dues, their membership can be revoked and RESOLD. It works the same way in a racing club. If you have rental garages, monthly rent is paid in advance, plus the track owners are granted a lien on your racecar sitting in your shop. If you are behind on rent, that racecar does not leave the track facility or race. If the rent is not paid, the racecar is sold. That is incentive to pay your rent.

Rebel,

If there were enough beer drinking tobacco chewing great guys to fill the stands, there would not have to be Champaign, Caviar and Valet parking. Unless some great guy owns the track and does not mind losing money, the days are numbered. Why argue with a guy over a $20 pit pass when there are people who will pay that to Valet Park to go eat?

Nick & SuperTX

Right now, you have invisible fans to market your invisible chassis and siminars to and if things do not change, there will not be an infield to worry about putting the swimming pool in.

Edited by noclutch