ASA lives again

KC11

Jason stated a month ago about a TV deal for ASALM. Looks like ASA Late Models have scored that TV Deal with the Outdoor Channel. Its a shame that all those old ASA tour cars are still out there sitting but it looks like the new generation of ASA is going strong. They now have a 3 level divison with the announcement of the ASA South division (formally southern allstar pro) and the ASA Challange divison. I don't know exactly how it works but the North and South feed the Challange division which will be televised. They also have a shoot out at the end of the year between the south and north. 3 new tracks in PA and 2 in New York are phasing in the ASALM rules to there weekly divisons in 2006. Here is the link to the ASALM

Not trying to start a stir like what happed last time. I will be racing the USRASL next year supporting Texas racing the best I can if I ever finish this darn house project. Rita kick my butt. I can't stand to see my car sitting and read all the stories about the races. See you guys next year. Kirby Caldwell #67

They run the 400HP Crates. Shocks and springs can only cost $250 each. Transmission can only cost around $1750 I think. The only thing that hurts it are the tires which are a Hoosier radial and actually cost more than the regular bias ply tires. I think they may have switched over to the cheaper bias ply though.

If that is the answer, why do they have only 15 here?

ORANGE SHOW SPEEDWAY- San Bernardino, CA

ASA Member Track

OFFICIAL RESULTS FOR OCTOBER 29, 2005

ASA LATE MODELS

Car count- 15 cars registered

Qualifying:

Car# Name Hometown Time

58 Robert Kroeker Norco 14.26

39 Ron Daniel Mentone 14.29

16 Richard Hooper Lancaster 14.38

61x Anthony Maniella Palmdale 14.41

67 Eric Ferguson El Cajon 14.47

56 Darrell McKee, Jr. San Diego 14.556

99 Joshua Green Lakeside 14.559

5 Dave Arce Santee 14.61

8 Brian Malone Grand Terrace 14.71

3 Sean Hodgdon Riverside 14.77

60 Tony Barnes Winchester 14.81

25 Justin Good Chatsworth 15.05

77 Alex Anderson Lancaster 15.11

28 Neil Rodvold Santee 15.22

14 Rick Richardson Murrieta 15.76

Trophy Dash:

1. Richard Hooper

2. Anthony Maniella

3. Robert Kroeker

4. Ron Daniel

35L ASA Late Model Main Event:

1. Richard Hooper

2. Ron Daniel

3. Dave Arce

4. Darrell McKee, Jr.

5. Brian Malone

6. Sean Hodgdon

7. Joshua Green

8. Neil Rodvold

9. Justin Good

10 Alex Anderson

11. Eric Ferguson

12. Tony Barnes

13. Anthony Maniella

14. Robert Kroeker

15. Rick Richardson

tsrsfan,

You are just looking at one track and in the west where super late models are not very popular. And maybe so "crates will always be low end racing at best". But you can't deny the big names that have been involved or are involved in crate motor racing. (Jimmy Johnson, Benson, Wallace, M. Waltrip, Hendrick, Streme, Lagano, ect.) I don't know exactly how many tracks are ASA member tracks but there is a bunch. A lot of tracks are using the rules or a very similar variation of the rules for their weekly shows. Just call your leading chassis manufactures and parts distributors and ask them whats the hottest thing going in late model racing right now.

Still hoping for the best in Texas Racing and I will support it the best I can. I just hope something can be done with superlatemodel racing to make it just a little more affordable.

I think that the Super Late Models here are really cool. They are awesome fast! I currently race in the Houston Late Model class. We have learned alot from the series. We are working on some really great things for next year to make it more fun for everyone involved. We have been able to have some good racing at a much lower cost. We need a higher car count, then things will be really fun. hopefully some of you guys who cannot afford to race Supers anymore can come join us.

supertx,not defending them,but try purse,already have all the parts in some cases,and that would obsolete all of those parts,have to send the crates to the specified vender or buy new engine. I agree on both sides,but I would like to see regular fields of 24 cars start features at least,not 10 or 11,in some cases. Some of the limited late models could run their cars in the SLMs with maybe a few concessions in the rules.

CRA Super Series is averaging around 30 SLM per race. Maybe we just need to Market our SLM series a little better. We have had enough changes this year to last a lifetime. It does not matter who is involved, Jimmy Johnson owns a San Antonio Late Model and there were 9 cars running. Lets like someone said in another thread, Bring on the Elephants, shoot the midget out of the cannon or something, threatening to drop the class if car count does not improve or changing rules doesnt build momentum, it kills it. KC 11, if you have a ASA car and are star struck with the lineup of drivers, why not go race with them. I guess the USRA drivers are not good enough for you? You dont race with them now, so why would you with a crate?

PS Anything less in the engine and it wont be a SLM, it will be a fake.

PSS If it is too expensive, you are in over your head, back down, race another class.

thrss1,

Yep that is me. We are planning on running the full southern tour and selected races on the national tour in the ASA series along with a few ARCA races. We tried to run our super latemodel at Thunder Hill last month for the spectacular but it rained out and we could not stick around to come back.

Thanks for your interest

Eric Wallace

If that is the answer, why do they have only 15 here?

ORANGE SHOW SPEEDWAY- San Bernardino, CA

ASA Member Track

You ever been to this place?

It's a nice track, but it makes Longhorn or Corpus look like a superspeedway. These tiny tracks typically draw smaller fields.

If you don't think that statement is true, look at car counts at Corpus versus the other tracks.

(And no, I am not picking on CC, just using it as a comparison. )

Eric, about time you got back on here,

You gonna be at P-cola next month? If so, look for me and my usual gang.

Tom

Threating to drop classes is not theway to build car count it will keep people from investing their hard earned money in racing

Wayne, Terry and others, including me, are working very hard on the USRA SLM rules for 2006. We have been consulting with a great number of vendors, teams, fans, series and tracks. I have been a part of many of these meetings and I can assure you there are no plans to drop the USRA SLM series for 2006.

It would be dumb for all of us to be putting this much effort into the series is there were plans to can it.

Nick Holt

TSRSFAN, I don't now if you missed my post where I said I will be racing in the SLM USRA class next year and I ran 2 races this year. I have a lot of respect for the guys I have raced with in the USRA class. I support and respect Terry and Wayne and their decisions. And by the way I don't have a ASA car I have a USRA Super Late Model which I have a LOT of money tied up. I hope I can race it in 2006 without too many changes. Not racing much this year due to a new house construction but will be there full force in 2006. Guess you don't know me and yes I can afford it, it just hurts a little.

This thread was started off of a post Jason put about ASALM and T.V. It does not effect Texas raing at all. Just glad to see the ASA (new people running it) getting back to where it was years ago. Its also interesting to see what the rest of the racing community is doing and what is working.

Archived