Go Karts at SAS. Who would like to see it Again?

KISS_Racing

Two Years ago, they ran Go Karts at SAS. There were several classes including kids. The Shifter Karts were running over 102 MPH and not lifting...

I was curious to know if people liked watching them? I realize SAS would have to set it up, but after watching the Karts this pasted weekend at THR; I thought it might be a good question to ask...

I cringed the whole time while they raced at SAS. A tragic accident could have easily occurred. Those walls at SAS aren't "soft" at all......and the bumps really upset the Karts.

As a minimum, I would suggest that the Kart racers confirm the SAS insurance coverage during practices and the racing event.

Maybe using the hay bales.. and pit road you cut the straights down.. they come off 4 and enter pit road come back out onto the corner at the other end. on the back straight they are pushed down of the outside wall then going into three they are kept low off the highside of the track... that would keep the speeds down and give you a buffer from them kissing the walls..

I was not in support of go karts at SAS during their last visit because I felt that SAS was way too fast and dangerous for go karts. With no type of roll cage, the drivers had very little protection against the unforgiving walls at SAS.

I don't know how the driver of one of the karts survived his accident at SAS. He was thrown out of the kart like a rag doll up against the Turn 4 wall.

A kart race might work at SAS with lots of hay bales, but they would need to be placed around the entire track (lots of work and expense). We got lucky last time, but I think we'd be playing with fire if we did it again. What works at THR doesn't necessarily work at SAS and vice versa.

Guys/Gals,

They race Karts at Daytona. Speeds I believe are over 170MPH... Here is the funny thing, many of the Kart racers wanted to come back to SAS. As a racer you look at and count the risks, then decide if you want to race.

One thing I noticed Sat. night at THR was the NASKART guys didn't seem to be bumping, although I may have missed it. One thing that would have to be said to the guys if a race were to happen at SAS is watch your contact with one another...

Edited by KISS_Racing

KISS,

The boat races were entertaining, it wasn't entertaining watching a teenage kid try to outrun his kart as the both flipped end over end coming out of turn four. I hope the USRA staff gets enough negative feedback that they never consider the karts again. Most of us race fans go to the track for the crashes, but were not there to see anyone get hurt!