Safety Crews

FIRECREW32

This is an easy one.CC Motor Speedway has the fastest and best equipped team Ive had the pleasure of knowing.These guys go all out for not only driver but also spectator saftey.Leaking cars are quickly parked,loose body parts are not allowed,cars are checked for extingueshers and fuel tanks.One night I hit the wall very hard on the drivers side and lost a few minutes.When I got my senses back,Larry,Sonny and the other guys were all over the car to make sure there were no fires while controlling traffic.They had about 10 40# bottles on the truck.The amazing thing to me was the first thing I saw was Freddy sitting beside me attending to me and I dont remember him getting in.I was only ga ga for a couple of minutes.The immage I got was that Pepsi commercial where Jef jumped into his race car through the window and then a Pepsi truck driver tried it with his truck and missed.The first thing I told Freddy was "YOU MADE IT "I thought he must have jumped through the passenger side window to get in so fast.He didnt know what I was talking about of course but kept staring me in the eyes to see if I was in need of the ambulance.He knew I was OK when I started hollering at the other crewmembers to see if I had flat tires and check the wheel alignment.Freddy said " I dont think I can let you back in the race right now " being concerned with my welfare.It was OK though,one of the crew said "you only have wheels on the right side "I have seen these guys face danger many times and to me they are the real heros at the track And Im sure everybody will say the same thing about the safty crews at their track.I dont know if they get paid but its not enough whatever it is.My best night is when I dont see them except before and after the racing.I do feel safe knowing they are there. THUMPER :D

thumper-your last couple of sentences sum it up-"best nite is when you see them before and after the races and knowing they are there"-i know at our track we have off duty fireman and ems to handle any accidents that may arise and i would put em with the best-i've seen em handle everything from minor to an airlift and in a very quick manner-i've watched rescue prepare for a day of racing,and its pretty interesting.When i was racing i never paid much attention,i just saw em there,but being on the other end now running the races,i wanted see what they did,watching them doing equipment checks,medical supply inventory,systems checks,radio checks,vehicle checks on the fire truck and ambulance for any problems,because if they arent ready to go,i cant and wont go till they are-plus they are also my extra set of eyes at the track,watching the big end for me and we constantly talk on the radio about the conditions so the racers have safe conditions to keep everything moving.SAFETY CREWS ARE THE UNSUNG HEROS AT ANY TRACK-NEXT TIME YOUR AT A TRACK-TELL EM THANKS FOR BEING THERE FOR YOU-I KNOW THEY WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT-

I'd have to say CCMS, but I'm a little biased (I was on the crew for a little while, and I worked with Freddie and Sonny outside the world of racing too). The crew really knows their stuff, and everybody works damn good together. I was more of a broom monkey on the crew though. Bartell Motorsports keeps them well stocked with the equipment needed for the job too. Couldn't ask for a better group of people to be there for everyone on the track!

Can only give an opinion for CCMS, but I am definitely glad they are there! Don't want to have to use them, but when I did, Freddy & the gang sure can squeeze into some small spaces. I was like GB one time after a head-on and got spun around and I missed the spin around part. Next thing I know Freddy & one other of the crew were in my face checking me out. Hats off to the entire crew!

Rick

I've been at all these tracks as a corner worker with TSRS and as a race car driver and even though I know these guys are doing a good job I still find myself wanting to grab a broom and get the show on the road! I know this is the time for the cleanup crews to shine but the fans want them to shine fast!

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion CCMS has the BEST FireCrew, out of the local tracks that I have been to. They are great people and work hard for the little pay they get, and I make sure that I thank them for what they do every chance I get. Everyone needs to thank CCMS FireCrew for the hard work that they do, so let them know they are appreciated. As for the other tracks I have gone to, HMP has a great track and facility but they lack on fire crew. It would be nice to see a better fire crew there since it is such a nice track.

HMP has a vol. fire fighter at the track at al ltimes the cars are running, I've never seen a HMP golf-cart in the track without a fire extenquisher... Granted it appears they've had some trouble getting an actual fire engine at the track in a while.... Give 'em sometime. After the USRA season opening crash/fire in practice, they've appeared to really step things up.

Archived