Pan American 2005

txtom

bump

Thanks! Soon after posting the location request, I stumbled onto it on the satelite map. I spotted an X in the vicinity I thought it was in and zoomed in to the oval. I didn't recall the X, and assumed I just didn't remember it or else it was added after '67. I was only there twice, the first time in '66. Both times was for the July 4th 200 lap "Stock" Car (?) race. I remember the track entrance road near the grandstands and thought that was a great idea for the fans. In '66, one of the Houston drivers waved to a cameraman coming off turn 4 and then hit the wall during practice driving a Plymouth that had run pretty well in Houston. The Houston cars were "somewhat outclassed", but it was a great experience. Next time in San Antonio, I'll have to swing by there just for a memory.

• 4 months later...
I'm the first in my family to race cars (aside from a few distant relatives who raced drags), but my dad is a cop for Live Oak and told me sometimes when there was absolutely nothing going on, him and a few others would race around on the track. I covered up the title and showed him the photos txtom took, and not but a few seconds later he chuckles and immediately knew what the pics were of. It's just funny to me that he's not real informed on racing, yet within seconds he could recognize Pan Am after 20 someodd years. From what my dad said, Pan Am was one of the biggest attractions in the city.

PipSqueek - this is a great story and similar to one that I have. A few years after the track was closed, I use to sneak my pristine '65 Olds Jetstar 88 out onto the track. My brother and I would run so many laps (150) that we'd get our brake drums smokin' hot; the automatic transmission was so hot you could smell the ATF boilin' - it was a street car's worst nightmare. We'd drink beer afterwards in the infield and imagine what it was like to race back when Leroy Brooks, Glenn Schwabe, Bubba Storbeck, Todd Ford, etc. use to race on those hot summer nights.

The last time I ever rode around that track, I wrecked a 1982 Honda Prelude comin' out of four. It was such a thrill - I had run so many laps the night before without incident. The very next night, on the very first lap, I went into 3 a little too hot and pushed up into the loose gravel into four and hit the fence a ton. I flattened the whole right side of that Prelude about half an inch. It took me all summer to pay for the damage cause it was my step-mothers car (she was upset to say the least) - I thought I was on top of the world.....

Archived