Random Question for Engineers

KahneFan

Contact tx"THE BRAIN"tom (txtom for pm purposes) he can help you, and if he cant, I am sure he knows someone he can ask, through his vast net work of knoledgable aquaintences that he has bumped into over the many,many,many,many, years that he has been roaming the earth. :lol:

You might talk to Leland W. Don't know if he's an engineer, but I'm sure he could tell you what it's like to RACE in a big magnet. Other cars just come flying at him from all directions!

now thats funny right there..........thanks for the laugh........so what is the deal with the interest in magnets and them being illegal around the gas line.........what is that all about??

I think that was engineering I studied at school. Its funny you bring this up. A business friend of mine came by my shop months ago trying to get me to sell these "Energy cells" to improve gas milage and HP. It was 3 magnets about 3" x 1/2" in opposing postions you put around your fuel line. I talk him out of one to try on my truck but I did not test it very well. I forgot about it until now. I will try it again and let you know if I get any results.

He also started talking about some race teams that have dyno results proving performance gains but I am not sold yet.

Links: google "magnets save fuel milage"

http://www.improvegasmileage.com/

http://www.wholly-water.com/MagnetizerAuto.htm

The Electronic Engine Ionizer

Websites : Engineioniser.com

This is an interesting device I was made aware of recently. It takes a different, but similar doublespeak approach to making you believe you can get better fuel economy. Their device consists of a jumble of wires connected to plastic blocks which clamp around your spark plug cables. This is directly from their description:

When a spark plug fires, the capacitor block attached to each spark plug wire picks up a high voltage, low amperage charge (sometimes called a "Corona Charge"). This charge is transferred from the firing cylinder to the other non-firing cylinders via the harness wire. These charges cause a partial breakdown in the larger hydrocarbon molecules in all the non-firing cylinders, resulting in increased combustion efficiency. This translates into better fuel mileage (economy), more horsepower, easier starting, less pollution (lowered emissions), smoother idle.

Let me decode that for you : they claim to fire the spark plugs in the cylinders that don't need firing. The spark is supposed to cause a breakdown in the gas left in the cylinder which somehow makes the next fuel/air charge burn more efficiently.

First of all there's the deviously misused definition of "corona charge". That's actually a wire which emits a static electric charge in a halo around itself. It's normally used in reference to laser printers (!) If spark plug wires did this, you wouldn't be able to hold them whilst the engine was running, nor would you be able to have them touch or be near anything metal in the engine bay. If they were constantly generating static electric charge, you'd also not be able to listen to your radio either. So seeing that caused me to want to work through the rest of the description one step at a time.

A capacitor block picks up a charge from the spark plug cable. Hmm. Well a capacitor stores charge - it doesn't pick it up. For a capacitor to get any charge at all, it would need to be physically wired in to the spark plug circuit. So instead you'd need an inductive loop. Inductive loops generate current because of Faraday's law - it's all to do with magnetism. The brief pulse of current through the spark plug cable generates a magnetic field. The coil of wire sitting inside the magnetic field induces current in its own circuit.

The charge is transferred to the non-firing cylinders via the harness wire. Actually it isn't. The induced current is transferred along the harness wires to the other inductive loops. The result is a brief inducance back into the other spark plug wires, but at a reduced amount due to resistance in the wiring. The current induced in the other spark plug cables would be nowhere near enough to fire the spark plugs. But lets' give them the benefit of the doubt again and assume the other plugs to spark.............

These charges cause a partial breakdown in the larger hydrocarbon molecules in all the non-firing cylinders. (sigh). Ok - the charge isn't doing anything to the cylinders at all. The spark plug might be sparking, but even if it is, given the basic design of a 4-stroke engine, there is nothing to burn in the cylinders unless the fuel-air mix is in there. In fact, trying to initiate a spark too early could result in detonation, which would actually damage your engine.

Honestly if this idea had any merit, it would be a lot simpler to just wire all the spark plug cables together so they all fired every time one of the cylinders reached it's firing position. Think of how much simpler engine timing would be!

Sadly for EngineIonizer, there's a reason why engine manufacturers only fire one spark plug at once. Although having said that, one reader did contact me with the following snippit of information:

On the subject of The Electronic Engine Ionizer, you say "there's a reason why engine manufacturers only fire one spark plug at once". As a small note, some manufacturers have simplified ignition systems (Yamaha's YZF-OW01 and YZF-R1 come to mind) which fire cylinders in pairs - one near TDC of the compression stroke and one near TDC of the exhaust stroke. When I did a little work with Kingston Kawasaki (a BSB privateer team) we switched over to this system: there was no power gain, about 1.5 kg weight saving and the spark plug life dropped by about a quarter. I've only ever seen this in 4-cyl engines, although I think some early British twins did this too.

well it looks like this idea isnt as good as they claim..........

magnets-lol-you want to got fast, i know quite a few very close friends that have some good proven IDEAS that work to make a car make horsepower-I'VE SEEN IT WORK WEEK AFTER WEEK-but the catch is-IT WILL COST YOU TO FIND OUT-dont think that through all the trial and error and testing and $$$ that they or I are just going to tell you-DREAM ON-one of them even gave me a t-shirt that reads "WE MAKE THE FASTEST CARS FASTER"after going through months of his test sessions.I know guys that install their - - - - - - - backwards.Makes horsepower.Blew my mind too-but if anybody wants one of these magnets,i think i still have one in a tool box that came on a dwarf car i bought in a long time ago

And don't forget, if you put tin foil in your hubcaps, it keeps you from being tracked by radar... oh, except you'll have to ask your granddad what a "hubcap" is.

Some of these "gas saving" devices claim to have been tested by the federal government and okayed for use. That happens to be true, but it doesn't mean anything. Several years ago, I talked to a lab up in the midwest somewhere that does the testing and was told the only thing the feds care about is that the device not interfere with the pollution control equipment.

In other words, if it doesn't do anything at all, it "passes" the government test and can be legally advertised as doing so... another example of your tax dollars at work.

with fuel prices going sky hi-you should be seeing all kind of gimmicks on infomercials here pretty soon on tv with claims of boosting MPG-figure the little turbo fan that fits in the air intake hose will make an appearance again at a higher price this time and they will sell zillions of em

Archived