TSRS @ Thunder Hill 6-21-03

I've got lots of results so I'll add the stories later.

But the race was low-lighted by photographer, Tom Meredith getting run over at the start of the feature, a few "interesting" judgement calls and the winner being DQ'ed for illegal carb.

9 Tommy Gural

1 Ronny New

27 Michael Jones

54 Todd McLemore

03 David Snokhaus

22 Robert Stewart

50 Mike Yale

17 Jeff Pollard

48 Jamie Fuller

11 Brian Schild

28 Leland Waddell

5 Lloyd Alexander

04 Brad Hudak

94 Larry Stien

58 Steve Sims

25 Teresa Gural

57 Steve Riggs

00 Beau Bukowski

26 Toby Robertson

13 Ian Webster

UNOFFICIAL RESULTS

Texas Super Racing Series at Thunder Hill Raceway 6-21-03

1. 9 Tommy Gural 75 laps

2. 1 Ronnie New 75 laps

3. 27 Michael Jones 75 laps

4. 54 Todd McLemore 75 laps

5. 03 David Snokhous 75 laps

6. 22 Robert Stewart 75 laps

7. 50 Mike Yale 75 laps

8. 48 Jamie Fuller 75 laps

9. 11 Brian Schild 75 laps

10. 17 Jeff Pollard 75 laps

11. 28 Leland Waddell 72 laps

12. 5 Lloyd Alexander 70 laps

13. 04 Brad Hudak 64 laps

14. 94 Larry Stein 53 laps

15. 58 Steve Sims 21 laps

16. 25 Teresa Gural 5 laps

17. 00 Beau Bukowski 3 laps

18. 26 Toby Robertson 3 laps

Texas Super Racing Series @ Thunder Hill Raceway 6-21-03

By J M Hallas

Surprised Winner continues Streak

Tom Meredith 75

Round six of the TSRS schedule was the halfway point for the new pavement racing series. Jeff Pollard set fast time in his D C Eagle Paint and Body/KAM Racing Engines/Polydyn/DB Motorsports/Gran Prix, and with the dice roll would start fourth. This moved Ian Webster and Ronny New up to row one , while points’ leader Mike Yale had to start last after trouble in qualifying, as the 20 car field lined up for green.

The night got off to a very scary start when the field stacked up going into turn three for the start. As the pack accordianed, Larry Stein had to dive to infield to avoid contact with another car. Unfortunately, track photographer, Tom Meredith was standing directly in his path. Meredith was hit by Stein’s car sending him flying through the air, as TSRS official, Don Painter was forced to run for cover as well. Meredith was transported to the hospital with a broken ankle, broken ribs and numerous cuts a bruises. (My thoughts go out to the family and I hope for his speedy recovery)

After a lengthy delay, the race finally resumed with Webster and New running door to door on lap one. Webster secured the lead the next lap, but the caution was back out quickly on lap three. Beau Bukowski and Leland Waddell both spun in turns one-two, Toby Richardson plowed into Bukowski, while Steve Riggs clipped Waddell as he drove through the infield.

Once back to green, the top seven began to separate themselves from the field. Houston Motor Speedway winner, Steve Sims was forced to pit from sixth with overheating trouble. After a quick yellow on lap 19, the top three of Webster, New and Pollard began to inch away from the pack.

On lap 30, the winner of the last Thunder Hill TSRS race, Tommy Gural got inside Brad Hudak for fourth. Hudak got hung out on the high side allowing Robert Stewart and Todd McLemore to slide past as well. As Pollard pressured New for second, Gural ran down the top three. On lap 35 Gural tapped Pollard who spun to the infield, Pollard was sent to tail, while Gural restarted in fourth when Stewart got by during the incident.

The halfway point came under yellow showing Webster, New, Stewart, Gural and McLemore in the top five spots. Back under green, Yale continued his charge from the tail, getting around Brian Schild for sixth. By then the top five had gapped the field by a good margin. On lap 47 New tried to get inside Webster coming out of four, with the two making slight contact. As New got loose and hit the infield grass, Stewart jumped on the opportunity to grab second.

Caution flew again on lap 51 when Schild and Jamie Fuller spun, with Stein piling in. On the restart McLemore slid up falling from fourth to seventh, while behind him Lloyd Alexander was spinning sending Pollard, Fuller and David Snokhaus scattering. On the next try to restart, Stewart got loose and backed up the field with Yale taking a spin through the infield and getting his position back. The excursion knocked the fender onto to Yale’s front tire, Yale then stopped on track with his crew running on to the track to make repairs. Ala Sterling Marlin, Yale was sent to tail.

This brought the race to a five lap shoot-out to the finish, that was well worth the wait. New tried inside Stewart for second with Michael Jones sticking his car inside both as they went three, on a one groove track, for second. Gural capitalized and snuck into second as Jones slipped and fell back into another three wide battle for fourth with McLemore and Stewart. Both made great saves to avoid spinning, but lost a couple spots.

In the meanwhile Webster was building a good lead as the white flag flew. Gural and Jones continued to fight for second as Webster took the checkers in his Tomball NAPA/Mr Cool Radiator/Conrad Racing Engines/Action Handling Systems/Chevy. During post race inspection, Webster’s carburetor was found to be illegal, giving the win to Gural in his Austin Mobile Marine/TORCO Racing Oils/Steve Chapman Motors/Gural Chassis. The win was Gural’s second in a row at the tricky 3/8 mile D-shaped track.

Finish results

1. Tommy Gural, Elgin, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 75 laps

2. Ronnie New, Austin, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 75 laps

3. Todd McLemore, Austin, Chevrolet Monte Carlo 75 laps

4. David Snokhous, Round Rock, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 75 laps

5. Robert Stewart, Austin, Chevrolet Camaro, 75 laps

6. Mike Yale, Houston, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 75 laps

7. Jamie Fuller, Converse, Pontiac Grand Prix, 75 laps

8. Brian Schild, Waller, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 75 laps

9. Jeff Pollard, Houston, Pontiac Grand Prix, 75 laps

10. Leland Waddell, Austin, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 74 laps

11. Lloyd Alexander, San Antonio, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 70 laps

12.Brad Hudak, Kingwood, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 64 laps

13. Larry Stein, Austin, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 53 laps

14. Steve Sims, Austin, Chevrolet Camaro, 21 laps

15. Teresa Gural, Elgin, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 5 laps

16. Steve Riggs, San Antonio, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 5 laps

17. Beau Bukowski, San Antonio, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 3 laps

18. Toby Robertson, Midland, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 3 laps

Ian Webster, Houston DQ’ed

Michael Jones, Austin DQ’ed

Stewart for second with Michael Jones sticking his car inside both as they went three, on a one groove track, for second

Here we go again with the one groove track stuff! :blink:

Sorry reb, couldn't resist. Great recap. It sounds like a missed a pretty good one.

I hope Tom heals up very soon.

Chase

Oh yeah...

THR is NOT a one-groove track? Hey, that's a good one!

Hey Big John,

Don't you know the 4-Minute Media Man wrote his story, then got the official results from me?

In other words...us media people write what we think and don't let something silly like FACTS get in the way!

Ain't that "write," Reb? :D

just opionated when it comes to THR, and people that can actually tell themselves its not a one groove track and when it comes to TSRS having to make decisions.

The 27 car was also DQed for carb. I think it is good that the tech guys are keeping a close eye on the tech rules. We don't want this series to get too expensive. I think policing the rules on the cars will keep everyone from spending alot to try and get an edge.

since i don't want any ill will to come to the race team I am involved with due to the opinions I express on this website, Im not going to dignify your question with a response, but it was a nice try.

Ahhh, come on Krusty, If your gonna talk the talk you gotta walk the walk, buddy. Not going to "dignify" my question? What a load of chicken crap.

Offical TSRS results for Thunder Hill Raceway event, 6/21/03 from Stacy Tiemann.

[Note from Nick Holt: I see where there is a change from the unofficial results. Jeff Pollard moves from 9th to 8th while Brian Schild goes from 8th to 9th. And, of course, the apparent race winner, Ian Webster, and Houston's Michael Jones were DQ’ed for carburetors.

1. 9 Tommy Gural / Elign - 75 laps

2. 1 Ronnie New / Austin - 75 laps

3. 54 Todd McLemore / Austin - 75 laps

4. 03 David Snokhous / Round Rock -75 laps

5. 22 Robert Stewart / Austin - 75 laps

6. 50 Mike Yale/ Houston - 75 laps

7. 48 Jamie Fuller / San Antonio - 75 laps

8. 17 Jeff Pollard / Houston - 75 laps

9. 11 Brian Schild / Waller - 75 laps

10. 28 Leland Waddell / Austin - 74 laps

11. 5 Lloyd Alexander / San Antonio - 70 laps

12. 04 Brad Hudak / Kingwood - 64 laps