THR Accident

racin4life

I overheard someone who was on the track at the time (not in a racecar) say that he had cuts and blood all over his face, and that there was a bone sticking through his leg at the knee. A broken ankle and rib sounds unrealistic after seeing him thrown through the air flipping end over end. He looked like a rag doll, at least from the stands. It just goes to show that on the track, the safest place to be is inside a racecar! That was a really scary and violent accident to watch.

As a fellow photographer I extend my sympathies for what happened at the race there in Kyle tonight. I was in the infield at SAS today and feared that it could have been me had I been there. I hope that whatever the injuries Mr.Merideth (sp) has that he recovers fully and get well soon. If there is anything I can do for him I would love to.

Deepest Sympathies

Marc Roy

San Antonio Speedpics

I talked with H.E. Naumann a little while before I left the track and he said that Tom had a broken ankle and a broken rib or two. The scan on his head came back as eveything ok. And same with his back. He was taken into surgury for his ankle.

I then talked with Jack Sandefur as I was leaving and he said that Tom was out of surgury.

It was a very scary looking accident to say the least. But, it could have been so much worse then it was. And I Thank the Lord that it wasn't.

I know I will be keeping Tom in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

I hope you all do the same.

It looked like everyone was stacked up on the start. 94 moved over to miss the car in front of him, and lost control or was turned and headed for the dirt. The photo guy had his back to the cars i believe and never saw it coming. It looked real bad and im sure Mr. Merdith is in a world of hurt right now, but last I heard he was doing real good and should be out soon.

Big John

I HEARD THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE. THE LAST I SPOKE WITH THE TSRS OFFICIALS AND THEY SAID THE DOCTORS HAD TO DRILL A HOLE IN HIS SCULL TO RELEASE THE PRESSURE FROM HIS BRAIN SWELLING AND THAT HE HAD CONTUSIONS ALL OVER HIS BRAIN. I HEARD THAT HE HAD A COMPOUND FRACTURE OF HIS LOWER LEG (TIBIA, FIBULA) AND SCRATCHES ALL OVER. IS THERE ANY TRUTH TO ANY OF THESE. HAS ANYBODY HEARD ANYTHING DIFFERENT. I HOPE HE IS DOING WELL AND WILL BE RELEASED SOON , BUT SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE HEARD SO MANY DIFFERENT THINGS ITS HARD TO SAY WHAT IS TRUE AND WHAT IS RUMOR.

Racergirl, Please take your computer off of CAPLOCK. It would seem to me that we have all the details we need to know from Kathy, Jack and HE Naumann. Why do you find it necessary to spread all the horrible details on a public forum? I'm sure his family is upset enough with out having to read this garbage. For future references, please keep your gossip confined to the back yard fence.

Arts & Justa, Racergirl12 was just telling what she heard..there's no reason to be rude. And why does it matter if she types in caps or not. If it's any consolation, I heard much of the same stuff that she did. As w/ everything that happens in life, there are always 2 sides to every story.

Pink Racergirl.

When on the internet, when you type in all capital letters, it is considered as yelling or talking very loadly.

Capital letters can therefore be used to EMPHASIZE a word. It is simply a case of "netiquette"

Thank you.

Got this UPDATE from Lisa Painter TSRS Public Relations:

I spoke with Tom Meredith, the photographer that was injured yesterday in the hospital. He had surgery to put a rod & pins in his lower right leg & ankle and he tore some major ligaments in his left knee. NO head or internal injuries, thank God.

He does have a lot of recovery time ahead of him.

Brad is correct in his posting. I recieved an email from someone who spoke with Tom himself.

No broken ribs. He does have some damage to the left knee that the doctors are discussing what procedures need to be taken. Tom is learning how to get into a wheel chair. And he said he was ok. I'm sure that doesn't mean he's really ok, just considering all that happened to him ok.

As for any others who may have heard something, let's put a stop to the ugly rumors please. Unless you know for sure it is true. I would hate for some of this to get back to him or his family.

Again, please keep him in you thoughts and prayers.

Thank you so much

I just heard from Lisa Painter who relays the following information:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just spoke with Tom Meredith at 7pm [Monday, June 23, 2003 - added by Nick Holt]. He sounds much better today. He said, "I feel very fortunate that I am not paralyzed or worse. I had surgery to install a rod & pin in my lower right leg for the compound fracture of my ankle. My left knee had major ligaments torn, the Doctors think I will have to undergo surgery after the swelling goes down. They had me up in a wheelchair today and did some physical therapy. I am beat up pretty bad, but I'm healing. Please thank everyone for the flowers, visits and calls."

Also flowers & cards may be sent to:

Tom Meredith #914 @ Breckenridge Hospital

15th Street @ IH 35.

Austin, TX

He should be in the hospital approx. a week.

*** If you would like to send donations instead of flowers, please send them to Tom Meredith c/o TSRS * P.O. Box 40443 * Austin, Tx. 78704

thank you,

Lisa Painter

Public Relations

TSRS

512-784-3026

slickwear@worldnet.att.net

visit our web site @

manracingpromotions.com

Thank you for the updated information, Lisa...

And thank you for posting it, Nick...

Archived