Speed-O-rama/Longhorn Questions

Budman

Got a couple of questions just for fun for you old speed-o-rama/longhorn folks out there.

1. Who was the original flagman at speed-o-rama?

2. What was the number of the car owned by Ernest Stewart that Paul Jett drove to so many hobby stock wins out there?

Original flagman was Wade Franklin. Used to flag from the ground, then got moved to flag stand after flag man got killed in Houston.

Funny you asked about Paul Jett's car/Tubby Stewart..... Had dinner with Paul this week and he gave me a picture of this car taken at Speed O Rama, Sept 1960. Car went by Brand X on passenger side door.

Here's question for you and others: What did driver's side door say?

Heard 2-1/2 hours of racing history stories about tracks across Texas and other states. Really was some interesting stuff. Wish you had been there, Budman, you would have enjoyed it. Will post picture of the Brand X car soon.

Great Rodlea, can't wait to see it. I figured you'd be the one to answer those two questions when I posted them.

Don't know what was on the driver's side door of Brand-X.

Hey, see you at THR Sat night? Isn't it about time you took that Galaxy for a spin out to the track? Need to charge the battery and roll the tires every now and then.

Incidentially, Rodlea, I got to visit briefly with Paul and Buddy Jerkins down at the SA Autorama back in March. I considered it a real honor to talk about some of the old times with them.

Couple of additonal questions ................ for Rodlea, or anybody else who may know. Actually I asked these same questions on another thread some time ago, but I think you missed them Rodlea. On that thread where you posted results of a race in 1961, the names Norman Butler and Dave Hart were included.

In 1961, the modifieds they were racing at Speed-o-rama were open-wheeled, but still were full-bodied coupes. As best I remember Dave Hart drove a red and white #82. Norman Butler drove an orange and white #43. Please confirm this if you can. Thanks.

Don't really remember anything about Norman Butler, don't think he was a regular. Dave Hart's car was owned by Dave York. Think York may have driven it a couple of times. You're right - color was red/white, longer wheel base than most of the cars.

Rodney

Archived