One Racer's Opinion

tjbrady

There seems to be constant rumors about changing the rules of the Houston Late Model series since USRA became involved with the series. I feel it is important for the Driver/Owners of the series to speak their opinions related to the series, its rules, and contemplated changes (or rumors there of). This forum is probably the most visited by Texas racers and I solicit others to voice their opinions here, in driver meetings, and directly with series officials.

The Houston Late Model series is relatively new to Texas racing and for those unfamiliar with its rules and principles, it is a “spec” class late model series focused on making late model racing possible for the small time racer wanting to race Late Model cars. It’s rules have been crafted to allow the widest range of existing used chassis to be put on the track using a GM Crate motor and specific carburetor. Today the cars use a 10” tire (recently switched to Hoosier). Like other “spec” class series, the Houston Late Models rules are designed to foster “equality” in the performance capabilities of the power train while limiting the cost factor for the owner/drivers. In a time when sponsorship is hard to find and retain, it provides a “reasonably" affordable series of racing that has the potential to bring a lot of rolling chassis out of the garages and onto the track.

A few opinions related to possible changes:

Rumor: Changing the Tires to 8” from the current 10” Hoosiers

Rumored reasoning for making such a change is rumored to be on thoughts that it would make the racing better and eliminate follow-the-leader races. It has been said that the change would somehow save us (owner/drivers) money. I have also heard the rumor that people believe the cars are “too easy to drive”

Opinion: Don’t do it

The 10” Hoosier is showing itself to be challenging and has “tightened” the field of racing. For those that say they are too easy to drive, I say come out and drive one and then have an opinion.

This series is NOT the super late model series, it’s rules have been developed to allow a wide range of driver abilities to participate. Today, we have drivers that are building on experience from series such as the Allison Legacy and Legends series. We are racing with, and learning from, racers that have come from the SLM series looking for a less expense, yet competitive Late Model series. The 10” tire has proven itself to be a stable foundational component to our rules. Current tires support us for multiple races, reducing, yet again, the cost factor of getting to the track and being competitive. Every week the cars run closer and more competitive within the field, changing to an 8” tire would require not only the teams to bare the cost of changing wheels, but the repair bills from tore up cars.

The ONLY winners of a tire rule change are those in the business of selling tires and parts to fix tore up race cars. The losers will be us, the owner/drivers (the very people this specific rule is there to help)

Rumor: Changing to a "Specified Body" rule (e.g. ABC Bodies)

Opinion: Why would we do such a thing?

Today the rules do not preclude a team from using an ABC body. If the thought is such a rule will field cleaner and better looking racecars, look at the field of cars today and I would challenge that their appearance is as good or better than any other series out there (with or without a Body rule)

A note about “Consistancy”

Today we have a very solid set of rules that are well understood and enforced through a well defined and implemented Tech procedure. Car counts are growing in our series due to the current rules that are in place and the belief that the basis and fundamentals of these rules are not subject to change. Each rule has an underlying reasoning and should not be altered without considerable thought, open discussion, and shown through testing to be a “proven” benefit to the series, owner/drivers and ultimately the fans/show. It is easy to look “over the wall” and think “I bet if we change ‘x’ it would be better". Making changes to a series carries a big responsibility to all involved and should only be implemented where a requirement presents itself.

We are a young, growing series. Many of teams are learning the cars, the competition, and the equipment. If there is one thing the series can do to help us, it would be to “LEAVE THINGS ALONE”. Let us mature into being a premier series through consistency, competition, and support.

Lets not implement change on the unproven “ideas” of a few and wallets of many.

Todd #20

I know that Mr. Dickerson has been seeking input on a wide variety of issues from an even wider variety of sources including (but not limited to by any means) phone calls to individuals, face to face Q & A sessions, seeking input at drivers' meetings, seeking technical assistance from a good many racing parts vendors, surveys, etc. If you think about it, this is exactly what he should be doing at this time of year. However, the assumption that the rules you discuss are going to be changed now or in the future is simply not knowable at this time.

It's kinda like when a homeowner is thinking about re-siding his house. He may talk to a bunch of different contractors, talk to folks who have had various sorts of siding put on their houses, price out the cost of materials, and all that. Just because that homeowner is overheard asking a neighbor about the siding on their house does not mean that's what the homeowner will put on. He might just decide that the bricks he has on there now are just fine.

That being said, you have clearly expressed your opinion on a couple of issues that may or may not impact your series. That's what this forum is for.

Let the discussion continue as long as it doesn't turn into a bash session...

Nick Holt

Guest The_Greek

although i have only seen the HMP LM's race once and that was last year sometime, i think Todd #20 makes some great points, and furthmore if there is gonna be any rule changes, i would hope that the majority of the input comes from the drivers currently driving in their series, and leave all the politics out of it.

Hi all,

I am relatively new to this forum so I am not sure what all has been discussed as it relates to the Houston Late Model series. I know that at the beginning of the year (before the season started) there was a meeting called with the HLM series drivers and owners by Terry Dickerson/HMP owners and officials. I was at this meeting and many things were discussed, a few of which were either interpreted wrong or misunderstood. After this meeting quite a few rumors or misinformation started flying around and seemed to dampen a little of the interest in the series. The rule changes that were discussed were ideas that were tossed out to get feedback and see what the owners & drivers thought. They were very clear that this was just discussion and not a preview of what they were going to change.

Many of the people I spoke to at the beginning of the season were concerned of the possible rule changes as their racing budget is limited (as is mine).

I was also at the drivers meeting where the 8" tire was discussed.They also spoke of travelling 6 races next year. I did hear Mr, Dickerson say that they (the USRA) had plans to contact all of the drivers and owners that they had info on to get feedback and ideas about all of this. These were ideas that had or will be considered, not a preview of plans.

I do not believe that the USRA has purchased the series, but they do pay the purse at every race. I think Mr. Dickerson deserves a big Thanks for that.

I also have personally spoken to Graham & David Baker and know that their interest is to see the series grow. I beleive that this year has been great as the car count has grown and continues to do so. The series has not been plagued by the multi-car pile ups that were prevelant over the last two which has lead to more interest and more cars. I believe that this series has limitless potential to grow because of the relatively low cost as compared to other classes.

I also do not want to see any major rule changes, I believe that we are on an upward trend of growth and feel that large changes might affect that. I have no say in that other than my opinion, which is what we all have and should make it known to the USRA if or when they purchase the series. I don't believe that it is a bad idea to voice our opinions now. Mr. Dickerson seems to be readily available to talk and listen.

Our next race is August 23. The USRA is here that week also. It probably would not be a good time to discuss all of this but it may be a good time to introduce yourself and maybe pass on contact info to Mr Dickerson and let him know that you want to talk. I have been there during Friday practice and have seen him visiting around the pits. It is a lot less hectic.

I also know that the Bakers are interested in what we think. I have found them to be very eager to listen and discuss any ideas that would help the series. I believe the intention of all involved is to see it grow and

become a series the will draw crowds on a week to week basis, not only when a traveling series is here.

That in the end is what will keep us racing, more cars = more fans and more sponsors.

Tim Spahr #46 HLM

I am new to Houston Late Models racing. We have only made the last two races, but we have had a great time learning and getting to know the other drivers and team members. We got involved in the Houston Late Models for a number of reasons. It is very exciting to be able to race a big car, and they really do get fan attention for sponsors. It takes a "crew" to make these cars go, and we really like the team atmosphere that this series generates.

We had previously raced a Pro Challenge car a couple of years ago. It was very expensive for a little car. We were excited at first, but the cars never took off. There was never much follow up interest from people once they found out how expensive they were. The series ended up dying out at HMP. I think that it is really great that the USRA is interested in our series. Obviously, from our last experience in racing I would like to be a part of a series that is growing. I think that everyone in our series is interested in putting on a good show and learning to race "together". We have a mix of experienced drivers (Ray Drews, Dean Baker - wow!) and rookies, and that makes for good racing all over the track.

It would be great if USRA would put some promotion into our series. I visit with people in the pits and they are very interested in doing whatever it takes to help this series grow. It is great when other series visit HMP, but we are the local "gang". It would be great to get the fans more access to us as drivers and teams. Currently we just roll out, race, and then drive back to the pits. I am sure the fans would like get to know us better. My group has a host of ideas on how to help with promotions. I think that the TSRS put on a great show the last time they visited HMP. As a "fan" watching the event, it appeared as though they had everything really organized. A nice touch is the in-car interview with the race leader during a caution period. It brings the fans closer to the action. This type of promotion really helps the series grow.

As for the rules changes that Todd is referring to above, I agree with him. I have practiced on the trackwith cars on the 8" tires, and also the 10" tires. The cars on 8" tires have a pretty tough time. HMP is a difficult track to pass on to begin with, but the wider tires do help the drivers control the cars. As a less experienced driver, it helps me to keep the car pointed in the right direction. In my opinion, the tires help the competition by allowing the drivers to "race". The engine and chassis rules also seem to be very fair and affordable. These rules have been strictly enforced and I think that fair and consistent enforcement will help with series growth.

Again, we are very proud to be a part of the Houston Late Model Series. We are really loking forward to seeing the series grow. If there is anything that we can do for any other teams, please come down and ask. We will be happy to help.

Chris Lendo

HMP Late Model #38

A fan's perspective.

Due to family committments, I was not able to attend the last HMP races with TAMS, but have been to most others over the past several years. My post is not intended to be negative, but constructive criticism from a fan.

I believe some changes are necessary to the HMP latemodels rules or race protocol to promote a more exciting race. While there have been a few close finishes between the top 2 or 3 cars, there is virtually no passing from the rest of the field. After the first few laps the cars get sorted out, and that's pretty much where they finish. The only passing is typically when one of the lead cars gets sent to the back due to involvement in a spin. I would like to see them at least invert some of the field to promote passing.

Also, TSRS only had approximately 15 or so cars at HMP last time around. I'd like to see some type of system (weight/tires/etc.) that would allow the HMP cars to run with them. I know there are points issues, USRA sponsorship issues, etc., to be considered, but didn't SAS or THR sponsor a combined race last year?

I'm happy to see increasing car counts at HMP.and that in itself may improve competition. It is certainly a first class facility.

Danny S.

I suppose there are really two different ways to look at this class. Obviously the folks who have invested their time and money in an HMP Late Model seem to feel things are okay just like they are. That viewpoint certainly has merit. Light weight, low horsepower cars with lots of suspension and tire are easier to set up and drive thus allowing new teams to get competitive fairly quickly. A car that is 70% of the way “there” from a handling perspective can maintain track position when tires don’t go away. This combined with limited and equal horsepower takes away many if not most opportunities for passing though. The net result from the several races I have watched is that cars end up getting moved for most passes and this makes for lots of cautions, especially when many of the drivers are relatively new to the sport.

I would like to see the HMP Late Models on an 8” tire for my own selfish reasons. First I think it would provide for more exciting racing. Equality on a track that is difficult to pass on does not make for exciting racing even at the highest level. Difference in speed (i.e. passing) is what gets the fans all hot and bothered. Without the tire “cushion” the better prepared teams will shine and those that still have some homework to do will be inspired to do it. The beautiful thing about handling is that it usually doesn’t cost anything extra if you’ve already got the essential components and looking around the HMP pits quality equipment is not in short supply. Yes it may widen the gap between the better prepared cars and those that have a way to go but that’s what this sport is all about, working your tail off to run up front.

The one thing I can say for sure is that running 8” tires would not, after the initial investment, cost the racers more money. I ran a car at HMSP for several years that was much heavier, had less suspension but with significantly more horsepower and we averaged one tire a week. Tire expenses can be whatever the track deems is appropriate, just brand them and limit purchases.

I also think that running these cars on an 8” tire would make for some unique opportunities for cross competition with the other Late Models running in Texas. With some minor rules tweaking I think all 3 types of cars could be on a pretty level playing field and make for some great events at HMSP and elsewhere.

On the other hand many of the posts that I have read in this thread seem to have a “we’ve found our niche leave us alone” tone. That’s fine too. If HMSP car owners and the Bakers are content with things as they are then there is nothing wrong with that.

Archived