Danica and Sarah

KahneFan

Rahal does have a two- or three-year contract with Danica, and Sarah Fisher should be here on October 1 as she is running an (underfunded) car for Bill McAnally Racing in the NASCAR Grand National Division West Series.

Figure Sarah to stay with NASCAR if she does well enough (and if former sports car racer Allison Duncan, also in the Richard Childress program, right now at the Stockton 99 Speedway late model level, doesn't do better than Sarah). Sarah would love to have had a car under her in the IRL that Danica has, but was always in second-rate equipment at best.

The smart money is still on Erin Crocker to be the first breakout woman driver in NASCAR, but the factories have decided to fight to be the first to put a woman driver in Nextel Cup victory lane, so the next few years should be interesting.

Hey TQ, not usre if you know this or not but Extreme12 is a former employee with that team he still flys out to Cali and works with them from time to time. I too have been out there and seen the equipment between the 3 teams BMR is putting on the track, she is in better equipment than most out there.

I'm not disputing Sarah has better equipment than most teams out there, but even within the team, all the cars (and effort) aren't necessarily equal. She's carrying NAPA sponsorship, and NAPA is a big deal in West Series racing, but the money is usually arranged in some way through Bill McAnally. What that says is that they didn't get full sponsorship for Sarah for the West Series.

Why she can't get fully funded, and couldn't get funded well in the IRL even though she was the most popular IRL driver for some three years in a row, is kind of a mystery. Maybe sponsors are worried about having a female driver get hurt in their car. Maybe the boys who make the major sponsor decisions are still acting like boys. The only really well-funded female in racing is Danica Patrick, and she's not running a stock car.

As I've said, Sarah would love to have had the equipment Danica has. As for her adapting to stock cars, she's never run a car that weighed over a thousand pounds or so, and she's having to learn how to handle a, what, 3,500-pound stock car?

She may not be as talented as Patrick, or as Erin Crocker, but she's been running better nearly every race. Giving her a season to get used to the kind of car the rest of the field has been running for years seems only fair.

Danica may not be alone for long, either. Katherine Legge, who won at Long Beach in the Toyota Atlantic series, notched another win at Edmonton. And remember, Katherine had to beg for the ride; and Danica never won in two years in Toyota Atlantic.

Slick, BMR may be one of the best, if not the best, funded teams in the West Series, but if you think that means all the drivers are equally funded and supplied with equal equipment and support, you are in for some sad surprises in life. As JFK said, "Life is unfair."

all the drivers are equally funded and supplied with equal equipment and support

yeah look at terry labonte when he was with hendrick..........i am pretty sure he wasnt getting the same quality equipment that johnson and gordon were getting............same with dale jr and mikey...........and with the swap of everything at dei, it is really obvious now............mikey was getting junk, and now jr is getting junk..............i think roush is the best example of a team with one common goal.........well it was until this whole mcmurray and kurt busch deal............

tqj3,

Katherine Legge, who won at Long Beach in the Toyota Atlantic series, notched another win at Edmonton.

Give her another one, she won in San Jose.

I have watched all the Atlantic series races for the last couple of years. Legge is pretty good. Only she seems to have a Paul Tracy-esk style. Some of her passes this year were, using British slang, argy bargy.

I just don't know how well the American public would take to her though. She isn't a classic beauty, and she has a funny accent. I also don't think she would ever be a canidate for NASCAR. But I would expect her to move up to CART before too long. That group needs all the publicity it can get. And putting a good female driver in good equipment should create plenty of buzz in the open wheel world.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

hey sarge-speaking of paul tracy-thought i read the other day that he was going to run some busch races-something about he had done about all he could do in the series he's in and wanted to get a ride in cup-

Bill-

That's the way racers race worldwide, and it's one reason we aren't competitive in that venue. One driver told me a number of the passes made in F3 are on the last lap, in the grass, and between the last turn and the start-finish line. (Danica Patrick got aced out of a win at the Brands Hatch Formula Ford Festival by a last lap banzai pass.) If we raced that way, the sanctioning bodies, particularly the SCCA, would either have a hissy fit or go into cardiac arrest (which wouldn't be such a bad thing).

RebelRacer-

I agree that Tracy would make a good teammate for Harvick. They're both idiots, and would probably take each other out.

Archived