Storey-Wood Park Speedway

Budman

The following information was put together by Bruce Mabrito a few years ago. He made up a list of all the race tracks in the San Antonio area, and I happen to have a draft copy of it. I hope he doesn't mind me posting this.

To quote Bruce:

"Storey-Wood racetrack was another flat 1/2 mile automobile and motorcycle track off Vance-Jackson in NW San Antonio owned by T. Brooks Wood. It was a rocky dirt track that featured the long 500 lap National Midget Auto Classic Race from 1947 to 1949 on Labor Day weekends. It was a multi-purpose track converted from horse racing after the pari-mutual laws changed in Texas. Storey-Wood was closed in late 1950, even a 1/4 mile dirt track was built inside the larger oval that year. Wood sold the land for the Dellview Subdivision shortly there-after."

I just happen to have the entry list to the '48 race. It was called the "General Jonathon Wainwright Classic." Its a pretty impressive list of drivers. They are:

Bob Carrol, Los Angeles

Norman Haltkamp, Inglewood Ca

Ted Parker, Dallas

Doc Cossey, Houston

Cecil Zent, Ft. Wayne Ind

Jud Larson, Austin

Sam Hanks, Alhambra Ca

Buddy Rackley, Houston

J.D.Park, Houston

Conky Benson, Burbank Ca

Speedy Metheny, Rosenberg

Red Hodges, Dallas

Lyle Dickey, Los Angeles

Buzz Barton, Tulsa

Wes Saegesser, San Antonio

Vern Blackburn, Houston

Eddie Carmichael, Dallas

Saylor Condor, New York City

Bud Hemphill, Tulsa

Jimmie Reese, Tulsa

Weldon Stewart, Austin

Marcel St. Cricq, Houston

Bud Camden, Okla City

Junior Thomas, Dallas

Leland Musick, Dallas

Hugh Porter, Houston

Leon LaRose, Houston

Wade Bedell, San Antonio

Jack Crawford, Houston

Dan Sherman, Dallas

Red Thompson, Dallas

Charles Farrell,

Doc Cossey won the race. This race was run a little before my time, actually. About 6 months before I was born. Oh, incidentially, this was a midget race. A very LONG midget race, as Txtom said, 500 laps on a 1/2 mile track.

Archived