Front Wheel Drive on Dirt

Budman

Yes iiin thee midwest,and I think there are some that run at Texas thunder in Killen,TIDA did run a race at TDS the first year it opened,I don't know if the dirt was a big equalizer or that not many had raan on dirt,but was a close race for all cars.

Bobby,

I wasn't thinking whether one would do badly, or if they would do good. As I said, I was just trying to visualize it. With fwd would you throw it sideways into the turn or would you try to keep the backs behind the fronts, or something in between?

Budman

Ah, I see what you're asking now. I would think that, no matter how you tried to drive it, the car would tend to push on entry because of the even more extreme weight imbalance due to no heavy rear end, and my vague recollection is that that is what happened.

Also, I don't think it would make sense to throw it into the turn, because you would not be able to keep the rear end hung out through the rest of the turn using the throttle. Whatever direction you are pointed in when you accelerate is where you are going to go, so it would be good not to be looking at the infield at that point.

I have raced many races on dirt in FWD and its diffuluct.On a wet slippery track they go straight off the end of the track.On dry slick its diffuluct to get on the power in mid turn and exit.On a tacky track with a locked differential and stagger to match the track,they are quick.If perfect,you throw out the back using brakes and let the stagger dictate the arch.They look slow but are fast.281 speedway in Stevensville and Rio Grande Speedway races them.So does Gator Motorplex in Houston.It takes a while to learn to drive one.On asphalt they are more forgiving. :)

Archived