Richard Petty Driving Experience

KahneFan

I'm going to Vegas in October with work and I'm thinking about trying out the Driving Experience. I'm only going to be able to maybe afford the $100 ride-along right now, but I think my Brother-in-law may fork over the 400 big ones for the actual experience. Has anyone ever tried this? Is it worth it? The ride-along does 150. I do 100 in my passenger vehicle, but I guess 150 on a speedway probably feels MUCH faster(?).

I have never actually attended one of the driving experiences. However, in one job I had a few year back, I used to meet with variuos managers in their offices. These were all sorts of businesses. You would be surprised at the number of them that had their photo from when they attended, proudly displayed in their offices. All of them said it was a blast, and worth doing.

For what its worth...

Going 100 MPH in a passenger vehicle sounds pretty awesome, i hear DEI has a opening, you might give them a call and get a ride that way they will pay YOU drive. LMAO :D:D

I have done the TEXAS DRIVING EXPERINCE at TMS, it was pretty cool. i got to drive the BELLSOUTH 01 car, it also comes with a video. mine was a gift but well worth the money. the ride along looked pretty cool also, they had 10 cars racing side by side ( with professional drivers) for 8 laps. your just there for the ride :o

David Starr's family runs the one at TMS

We did the Team Texas with Mike Starr. It was $640 for 20 laps around TMS @ 150mph. It was awesome. The ride along was $100 @ 160mph with a total of 4 cars on the track doing passing and drafting, didnt do it but I'm sure it was a rush. I dont think the Petty Experience lets you do as much as Team Texas. They let 8-12 cars on the track at one time and if your faster then another car you can pass it. I dont think they let that many out on the tack with the Petty deal or let you pass. Not sure, but I think thats what I read.

David Starr is sometimes there, himself, at the TMS Team Texas driving experience--He does the ride-alongs and he is an instructor also...and of course that would only be on his "off" weekends that he isnt racing..Also the Team Texas sometimes do the Ride-alongs at TMS after a race,like probably in November, they will do one for Charity...Those are $150 I think, and David usually does those also.. :D

LMFAO @ Tommy, that was too much! :lol:

I'm going to do the Team Texas deal, probably over Labor Day weekend, or during the USRA/TSRS race weekend in November. Team Texas looked to be a better deal for the dollar.(I checked into both) If I don't kill myself, I hope to give y'all a detailed description of the ordeal. :ph34r::o

Going 100 MPH in a passenger vehicle sounds pretty awesome, i hear DEI has a opening, you might give them a call and get a ride  that way they will pay YOU drive. LMAO  :D  :D

I have done the TEXAS DRIVING EXPERINCE at TMS, it was pretty cool.  i got to drive the BELLSOUTH  01 car, it also comes with a video. mine was a gift but well worth the money. the ride along looked pretty cool also, they had  10 cars racing side by side ( with professional drivers) for 8 laps. your just there for the ride :o

David Starr's family runs the one at TMS

OK OK, It wasn't a 100. My Chevy's governor is set @ 97 :D Who in the world decided on 97 anyway :blink:

I think the petty experience allows you to pass and all that in one of the packages. They go anywhere from $99 - $2999.00... I can only afford the cheepie this year :(

I know this is off-topic, but:

I've been a frustrated Petty fan for years. What are everyone's feelings on Kyle running the whole show? Qualified? Too distracted with Victory Junction? Or does it really matter that they aren't @ elite status, if Kyle's priority is VJ, and uses the company as vehicle for driving the camp? Seems like every couple of years they go to new engines, new personnel, etc., but never get out of the mid-twenty pack, if that.

I won a Petty Driving Experience class at TMS from a local promotion here in Lawton back in April 2001. It was the 10-lap class, I believe it costs $400 if you had to pay for it.

You really only get 8 laps at speed because you follow an instructor onto the track and off the track and the instructor does not go up to speed those two laps. They want you to keep a certain distance between yourself and the instructor. If you drop back the instructor slows down - If you push the instructor (not literally) he will speed up to the maximum speed they allow. I suggest you push your instructor. He will start waving you off if you get to close. I believe they will pass a slow instructor/student pair on the outside if you come up on one.

They advertise 145mph for TMS. They give you certificates at the end with your top speed, RPM and lap times. Mine said 143mph, but that was the top speed somewhere on the front straight. If you checked the lap times, my average speed was about 125.

At TMS the ride-along cars were going faster than the class cars. One of them surprised me while I was on the front straight by tearing out of the pits and jumping up on the track in turn one. I was about to turn one at the time. It really wasn't that close - it just surprised me and made me lift a little.

It was fun and probably worth doing it at least once. Especially if you have never been on a big speedway before. I raced ROMCO there, so now I'm spoiled to the faster speed (relatively) of that.

I have seen the Team Texas cars at TMS and they might be faster - I heard several of them banging the rev-limiter on the back straight. I think I saw them in 2001, the weekend of the ROMCO infield road race.

Kris Frost

I did the Petty thing in Vegas during Sema show a couple of years ago paid for by one of our vendors, it was fun. The follow the leader deal is kind of a drag. Only got it up two about 135, laid back and let the guy in front get far enough ahead to get a run and use the banking. The best one like this was at Charlotte in 2000, we were let go and actually did a little controlled passing, ran 165 banking was cool, cars were ok, older cup cars with no real fresh tires. Man those cars are heavy pigs compared to our late models, I can see why it takes a lot of skill to balance and maintain the tires on these cars. Heavy, narrow wheel base, small tire for size of car, gobs of power. Have fun and get the experience you will all new respect for cup drivers.

I had two 97 Silvarado's and they both topped out at 97 before the pedal went flat. However, my 02' Trailblazer hits a hundred without a problem, so I'm guessing Chevy stopped that.

They actually put them on camaro's for a little while :blink:

Archived