August Hartkopf

Budman

August Hartkopf was truly a local legend around Austin in the 50's and 60's. I used to see him around town way back then. This is sort of a continuation about him from the end of the thread "Well, it's a start........" This thread might should be put in the "Straight-Liners" forum since he was mostly known for his drag racing, but I'm mostly a round-y-round fan, so I'm putting it here. August did build round-y-round motors from time to time so I guess it's OK. I said on that other thread his small block chevy motors had a distinctive sound like no other. Well, it's true. I know it not because I read this somewhere, but because I actually remember the sound of his motors!

Tommy33 talked on another thead of the days when you "made your edge", didn't "buy"it. It's certainly true in Augie's case. I'll give you a perfect example of it.

There were several "Hands Hartkopf" stories around the tracks and strips in his day. I guess that's what happens when you're "legendary". I like the little story my late dad liked to tell on him:

One day in the early '60s my dad was dropping off a load of heads to be rebuilt at Augie's little shop on Barton Springs Road in Austin. (Imagine that ....... Out-Sourcing in the early '60s. Some of these modern young managers today would have you believe they invented the concept.)........ Well, my dad walked into his shop and found Augie busily working at his bench, grinding a set of valves. Not knowing he was working on the valves for his drag car, my dad picked up one of the valves and examined it. He said " Damn August, you grind on these things any more and you'll be able to read the damn paper through 'em." Augie turned to dad and replied in his usual stoic manner "They only gotta last one day."

TO READ A RELATED STORY ON AUGUST HARTKOPF GO TO www.vintagenitro.org.

HALF WAY DOWN THE PAGE CLICK ON THE STORY "MATCH RACE MADNESS ala 1966" by Raven.

post-30-1121651508_thumb.jpg

February 1966 Flyer:

According to a story I read (referenced above), Augie's brother, Butch Lake said the match race actually took place in San Antonio in 1966 between Augie and the reigning NHRA champion. It was supposed to be a best of 5 runs. Augie beat him 3 for 3.

post-30-1121651731_thumb.jpg

Check out this link from that same site:

Texas Link

Lots of neat Texas dragsters, and I saw a name the old timers will recognize, James Lothringer, and I think I recognize J.E. Kristek in one of the pics.

• 1 year later...
>>>

Yep! I down loaded these photos very cool!, I think I also saw them way back at Austin Performance. His mold of his hand is at I think Mannys on airport. I was very surprised when I found out whos car it was next to my house! :o

Who posted the timeslip and the pic of 427 galaxie car said he ran him? Id like to use that photo too!

here's another one

Hey Tommy thanks yeah thats the one I found awhile back over at gasser madness. It was an unidentified photo. I need t get with you for some more info on your Lamar hangout and photos of cars. B)

For a look at some cars from Austin you all can check out www.texasironwerksshowdown.com its our hangout board we went ahead and posted photos we found from Austin cars to the local hangouts.

Hope you guys like some of the stuff!

• 2 years later...

Greetings! Great forum, just signed up.

I run an Austin specific website and I'm doing some research on Austin's hot rodding past. I have decided to start with August Hartkopf. Interesting fellow indeed.

I was wondering about the pictures in this post. More specifically, are there any photos of August that I might be able to use on my website?

I will be glad to post any copyright references.

Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks PAPA. "help preserve our racing history" is exactly my goal. And I will certainly share anything I learn here.

I was wondering, what is written on the iron cross on Auggie's car? Anyone have a close up photo?

Motor,check out paul hernandez at the texasironwerksshowdown,he has alot of info and pics of austin racing car/drivers from the past including August.He can also be found on myspace.com/thepaulherdez and he's also on facebook.maybe you could talk to him and he'll share somethings he has or lead you to where he came up with his info.couldnt hurt to ask.

Thanks for the info PAPA.

ProTree, thanks for the tip. Yes, I've been conversing with Paul the last few weeks. He's done a great job and has been very helpful!

What is the story behind the picture you posted above?

Looks like I missed the vintagenitro.org articles :(

Any additional info on August would be appreciated!

Thanks

butch is still around.was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago who said he ran into him early early one morning.butch was jogging,told my friend he was getting in shape,losing some pounds.guess all the hard living caught up with him-lol

butch is still around.was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago who said he ran into him early early one morning.butch was jogging,told my friend he was getting in shape,losing some pounds.guess all the hard living caught up with him-lol

Havent been on here in awhile. Thought I'd post these for everyone to enjoy. Received some and found some since my last post in 2007. I'm sure many of these photos have a story to tell. As a kid growing up and stashed next to my house was this old 55 wagon all covered in tree sap, one eday I got around to asking about it and I too learned of the stories.

link to August Hartkopf photos

56 Chevy

hands33333.jpg

Butch Lake Wagon

austinspeedshop11.jpg

Archived