Young Chevrolet 100

Texas Motor Speedway Media Relations, (817) 215-8520

Gary Guehler

-- For Immediate Release

GREG DAVIDSON EARNS TRIP TO YOUNG CHEVROLET 100 VICTORY LANE

FORT WORTH-DALLAS (June 7, 2003) – Greg Davidson, Pearland, had 365 days to think about Saturday’s Young Chevrolet 100 ROMCO Super Late Model Series race at Texas Motor Speedway. Last year son Chris defeated his father in the inaugural ROMCO race at the speedway. This year when he got the opportunity the patriarch of the Davidson racing family took full advantage, leading 66 of the 68 laps enroute to his second straight victory on the circuit.

Davidson collected the $3,600 winner’s prize by dominating the event in the Westside Performance/Port City Monte Carlo. Polesitter Davidson held off David Lege’ by 0.28 seconds after a late-race challenge. J.C. Umschied, Joe Aramendia and Jason Oates rounded out the top five finishers.

The victor overcame many obstacles getting ready for the Young Chevrolet 100. An early-May tire test crash at Texas Motor Speedway left his machine severely damaged.

“We rebuilt this car in about two weeks,” said Davidson. “My wife hasn’t seen me hardly at all since then. We have worked until 3 a.m. every night and 13 to 14 hours every Saturday and Sunday. I’m very lucky. I’m 51 years old, most of the guys here are half my age. This proves I can hang in there a little longer.

“This win really means a lot to me. It is the biggest win of my career. The car came in very quick at the start of the race. I tried to vary my restarts, you don’t want to show them the same restart every time. Once we got up to speed we were able to stay ahead of everybody.”

Lege’ picked up the pace in his Lege’ Racing Monte Carlo in the closing laps. He was Davidson’s sole challenger in the final laps but could not pull off the victory move.

“The car was really good today,” said Lege’. “We needed long green flag runs today. We had a good run at him (Davidson), I could run him and catch him but I couldn’t get by him.”

Umschied’s day got off to a trying start. The car fell off the top-level deck of the team hauler while it was being unloaded, causing severe rear body damage. Repairs were made the former Legends Cars racer at “The Great American Speedway” posted a top-three finish.

“It was a blast,” said Umschied of the race. “Going into the race we knew the car would be good, we knew it could be in the top five but didn’t think it would be the top three.

“I’m real pleased after what happened this morning. The car fell off the top lift and had significant body damage. We knew it could hurt us with the aerodynamics but we got it fixed.”

The race was slowed by incidents accounting for 22 of the 68 laps being run under caution. There were no serious injuries in the accidents.

Two top contenders suffered trying days. Robert Richardson Jr. started from the second position and led laps seven and eight before engine troubles took him out of contention 15 laps into the race.

Defending race winner Chris Davidson had trouble the entire weekend. He suffered engine troubles early in Friday’s practice. After an overnight engine change, Davidson missed qualifications changing a fuel pump. He charged from 34th-starting position to 12th before he was black flagged for bodywork rubbing against his left rear tire. He was finished 33rd.

# # #

Archived