Is DIRT Motorsports really doing the right thing?

Jun 17 2005

Author:DIRT MotorSports PR

DIRT MotorSports Fines Scott Bloomquist

At a meeting held today by the DIRT MotorSports Disciplinary Panel in Colorado Springs, Scott Bloomquist’s non-participation in 4 of the last 5 World of Outlaws Stacker 2 Late Model Series races was reviewed. After extensive consideration, whereby multiple factors were taken into account, the Panel has issued a fine of $5,000 for each race Mr. Bloomquist missed (a total of $20,000) and he has been placed on probation for the remainder of the 2005 racing season.

While the rules governing members of the Dirty Dozen excuse non-participation for exceptional circumstances (i.e., family death, ill health, acts of God, etc.), the Panel determined that Mr. Bloomquist’s failure to compete in the 4 races did not constitute an exceptional circumstance. It was noted, however, that Mr. Bloomquist did not participate in any competing event during this time period.

Pursuant to the 2005 World of Outlaws Stacker 2 Late Model Series Rule Book, Mr. Bloomquist has the right to appeal the decision of the Disciplinary Panel.

Mr. Bloomquist has indicated to DIRT MotorSports that, despite this penalty, he will be in attendance at the Veteran’s Appreciation 100 this Friday and Saturday at Jim Neir’s KC Raceway ($20,000 to win / $100,000 purse).

Personally I think this is B/S! :angry: Who the hell do they think they are? :angry:

It's no damn wonder the WoO Sprint guys didn't want sign any damn contract!

I say screw 'em, time for a new sprint racing sanction that doesn't have their head up their arse!

JMO from any an untalented, untrained, unworthy reporter.

I am not totally sold on Boundless Motorsports. But I do like some things they have done. As an over all view. It is hard to say yet because many goals and projections are yet to be completed.

It is my opinion that Dirt track racing has lacked a proffessional and organized effort to gain recognition by various media's. The dirt track racing community is often looked upon as a school yard sport it seems by the movers and shackers that have the power to put dirt track racing in the lime light. The past methods used through the many decades of dirt track racing has NOT advanced this sport much. Yet pool tournaments, bowling, and high school sports ( to name a few ) get more press coverage and air time than dirt track racing in most area's of the country.

Dirt Motorsports is on a mission that has shaken our Dirt track racing world as we know it. And many Like myself are startled and un-easy with it. Skeptism and fear sets in and the next thing we see is rebelion and doubt. I also have felt these things and fear the future with Boundless. But I also fear the methods and practices that we currently see taken by those outside of Boundless Motorsports. Some organization needs to take control and move forward and bring this sport to a level to a point that the casual sports fan will take interest and buy a admission ticket at a raceway. And maybe we can get major sponsorship support and validation to a point that we can get the media's attention more often.

NASCAR faced these same issues ( and others ) long ago. And even faced drivers that went on strike and refused to race. Boundless is following the path that NASCAR had traveled long ago. And the reactions are much the same today as it was back then. We can only hope that the end results will be good for the sport.

Blomquist signed a contract. Now he does not want to honor it. Way to often we see people not holding up to obligations they aggreed to. And look for a way out. I am sure that you all and myself have had to swallow our dislikes to honor a signed contract or even a hand shake deal for it's duration of terms. And pay the penalty for breaching a aggreement. Bloomquist is no different in this matter. Bloomquist is what Petty was to NASCAR back in the infant days of NASCAR. and the rest of the dirty dozen is what many of the old stars of racing was to NASCAR. Times are different today.

Validation of our sport and the way people outside our sport view our love of racing has not and still is not taken seriously or accounted as a organized sport. Maybe, Just maybe Dirt Motorsports can change some of this. I to wait in the wings and hope for the best. All the while. I bite my nails as I go through this jouney from the side lines, watching, reading and waiting.

Isn't the point of being signed to the Dirty Dozen is that you HAVE to be at every show. The Dirty Dozen are guranteed money just to show up and/or start every race. That is their job and what they are paid to do. If I don't go to work for 4 days without a great excuse I get my butt fired!

The fact that his non-appearance broke a contract wasn't actually my point. It was more that the "new" DIRT body FORCES drivers to sign a contract in the first place. Does USRA, TSRS, or even nationwide IMCA do that? Nope! That would like your boss making you sign a contract at work.and fired you because an absence didn't fall into the three criteria.

Jay,

You must know some things that I do not know about. I thought they had a choice. Dirt Motorsports is not the only Late Model Series or Sanction out there to choose from. Several drivers signed on with Dirt. Others parted ways and went else where. I quess I need to be informed of some missing info that I must not be aware of to see the point you are making.

The way it worked with the Outlaws part of DIRT is that drivers could either pick and choose the individual events as they wished, or sign up to be promoted as part of a core group that makes all the events, in return for certain benefits.

It sounds like Bloomquist signed up to be part of the core group, then didn't follow through.

THE “DIRTY DOZEN”

The 2005 edition of the World Of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series “Dirty Dozen”, who have committed to all events, include............

Billy Moyer of Batesville,AR (No. 21 owned by Billy Moyer Racing)

Steve Francis of Ashland,KY (No. 15 owned by Francis Motorsports,Inc.)

Rick Eckert of York,PA (No. 24 owned by Raye Vest)

Dale McDowell of Chickamauga,GA (No. 17M owned by McDowell Racing)

Chub Frank of Bear Lake,PA (No. 1* owned by Chub Frank Racing)

Darrell Lanigan of Union,KY (No. 29 owned by Lanigan Racing)

Dan Schlieper of Sullivan,WI (No. 9 owned by Dan Schlieper Racing)

Clint Smith of Senoia,GA (No. 44 owned by Jerry Passmore)

2004 World Of Outlaws “Rookie of the Year” Tim McCreadie of Watertown,NY (No. 39 owned by A&C Speedworld,Inc.)

Shane Clanton of Locust Grove,GA (No. 25 owned by RSD Enterprises,Inc.)

John Blankenship of Williamson,WV (No. 23 owned by Number 23,Inc.)

Josh Richards of Shinnston, WV (No. 1 owned by Mark Richards).

I went to a different area on the web site and found this.....

Name and car#

1 Billy Moyer 21

2 Rick Eckert 24

3 Steve Francis 15

4 Chub Frank 1*

5 Tim McCreadie 39

6 Darrell Lanigan 29

7 Josh Richards ® 1

8 Dale McDowell 17M

9 Clint Smith 44

10 Dan Schlieper 9

11 John Blankenship 23

12 Shane Clanton 25

13 Scott Bloomquist 0

As you may have noticed. This is a list of 13 drivers. ( A bakers dozen ) Kinda odd huh?

Archived