Chris Davidson@ TMS

It was pretty clear he was smoking. Looked like he was leaking something but then the smoke stopped. He came on pitroad under caution and then took off. I noticed the ROMCO official was shaking his head. I think ROMCO needs to do something to show to everyone that not listening to officials will not be tolerated. Perhaps a points fine? For those cars they were going quick and IF he was leaking something it could have caused a wreck.

Jason

#14 was smoking for a lap or two due to a tire rubbing. ROMCO decided to black flag him. How could he tell who the flagman was black flaging when he was just waving the flag up there and #14 was running in traffic? In just under 2 laps the tire had cleared itself and completley stopped smoking. The whole time # 14 spotter was having radio problems and the official in the pits was notified of this. Davidson came into the pits under the caution that they threw because they thought he was ignoring the black flag. They briefly checked the car over and since the tire had stopped rubbing there was nothing to find. With no smoke in the last 10 laps and ROMCO knowing that they had radio problems ROMCO made a terrable decision in my opinion by deciding to not score him anymore. On my scanner the official seemed to have a hard on for Mr. Davidson. During the ROMCO fiasco I heard the head official said, "I don't care if they are having radio problems or not" and "He can put the car on the trailer and go home."

It was going to be a one, two finish for Davidson Motorsports, but I guess when you go from last to approx. 9th in under 10 laps with all of the problems they experienced over the weekend it just wouldn't be fair now wouldn't it? When the #14 pit crew busted their @#$ all weekend just to get screwed.

I saw a guy (not going to say who) put on a Hoosier tire on the left rear during a stop and the officials saw it, talked about it, and as far as I know just gryped about it.

Jason,

As far as penalizing him they chose not to score him at all.

Legend, I was not there, but it sounds like if 14 had a tire rubbing he should of come in, radio problems or not. If the tire was rubbing, that means either the tire or the fender wears out. It was probally a saftey issue more than anything, and along with radio problems could have been a bad situation. Im not taking sides, but i sure would hate to see chris or anyone else for that matter get hurt over something like that. Congrats on the win and good luck in kyle.

Big John

TheLegend96,

Most racing organizations stop scoring a car that does not heed a black flag after a lap or two.

Race officials usually have no way of knowing why a car is smoking, radios or no radios. Let's say they didn't give Chris the black flag and he cuts that tire down and smacks the wall at 145 MPH. Or let's say he blows the motor and half the field spins in his oil. I imagine your criticism of ROMCO would be just the opposite in either of these cases. You (and everybody else) would correctly be asking why ROMCO didn't black flag him if they saw the smoke.

I know that neither of those scenarios happened, but race officials do not have the benefit of seeing the future. They have to make calls when situations arise and not guess what might be causing the smoke.

Nick Holt

If you guys correctly red the post he said the smoke was gone after a lap or 2 i was in the spotters booth and listened to ROMCO make the call they ask his spotter what the problem was then told the head guy making decisions for that race it was a tire rub and before ROMCO got back with the spotter on the situation the tire rub was gone and no more smoke was to be seen. I agree with legend ROMCO made a bad decision.

even though the tire stopped rubbing, we were told in the drivers meeting that if you did not have a spotter in the spotters booth with a working radio, during practice, qual, and race you were not allowed on the track. (this was for safety issues)

Congrats on the win greg

Archived