Playland Park

supertx

OK, here's a little history on the #11 car above, gathered from what I've heard about it and from info on other threads in this section.

I believe it is the car built by Paul Jett of San Antonio in 1949. It was raced at OLD Pan American Speedway all during the latter 1950's buy Waldo Harper for Donald Brag. During that time it had a 32 Coupe body on it. In the early '60's an iron T-bucket was put back on it, with roll cage added. It is pictured at the beginning of the thread "Who the devil ARE these crazy characters" in the background ... high groove... being driven by Buddy Jerkins.

Later Waldo bought the car from Donald Brag and replaced the iron T-bucket with a fiber glass T-bucket. I will post a pic of Waldo in it below.

I have seen a pic of what appears to be the same car being raced in the late 60's/early '70s at the NEW Pan American Speedway in San Antonio. As late as 2005 I was told by one of our TXSZ members the car still exists. He saw it in storage in San Antonio.

How interesting! What a great piece of Texas Racing History that car truly is! :)

Here's the photo of it, early 60's with Waldo driving it at Austin Speed-o-rama.

Incidently, Waldo passed away in 1998. RIP Waldo.

Nick, a little help with resizing if you would kind sir. Thanks.

[resized by Nick Holt, 11/5/07]

post-3-1194320743_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was almost age four when the '50 Thanksgiving pictures were made and had probably not attended an auto race yet, but I do recall seeing Stock Car Races there when Playland Speedway was still dirt in the early 50s. Even had a Steeplechase Race, and possibly an Australian Pursuit. The picture on the left appears to be the turn 3/4 area and the turn 2 exit in the right picture, from what I remember.

You are correct! Good memory for being so young at the time. That last section or two of the tall fence in the background of the picture on the right is where Blackie Lothringer went through in his 1959 accident.

Archived