Dirt Kings by Bobcat of Pleasanton, STIMS, TDTS @ I-37 Speedway 4-27-24

Dirt Kings by Bobcat of Pleasanton, STIMS, TDTS @ I-37 Speedway 4-27-24

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(April 27th, 2024)

After a scheduled week off it was time again for action on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval just outside Pleasanton. Tonight marked the third visit of the South Texas IMCA Modified Series(STIMS) and the first appearance of the Texas Dirt Truck Series(TDTS). Also scheduled are the regular Limited Modifieds, Fireballs, Factory Stocks and Sport Compacts classes.

Can anyone beat Chris Morris who has won the last two I-37 Speedway feature events, both at the expense of Ryan Doyon. In the inaugural race Morris and Doyon exchanged the lead the final laps with Morris getting the victory. The second visit saw Doyon look like a winner, but running out of fuel under a yellow flag cost him the win handing it to Morris.

Two new players are now in the win column with Jared Maupin, driving Chris Carroll's back up car, winning at Texana Raceway. The most recent event, at Cotton Bowl Speedway, saw Logan Dinsmore come from the 4th row to take home the hardware.

Morris leads the STIMS points case by six over Rick Green and seven over Doyon, with Jacob Hortch and Shawn Sandegren in fourth and fifth respectively.

The Texas Dirt Truck rolls into their first visit of the year showing Tony Bernal(last years champion) leading the points by 25 ahead of Jaime Green who is six ahead of Colton Borlace with former asphalt Late Model Champion, Tommy Grimes four back of Borlace and ten ahead of last race winner, Buster Dean.

Dinsmore Dominant in STIMS Scramble

Twenty IMCA Modifieds lined up for the 4-wide salute before taking the green. Raymond McSpadden led the pack into turn 1, but Cody Tidwell got a run up top to snag the lead pursued by Chris Morris, McSpadden, Rick Green and John Hortch. Brayden Tumlinson went around in turn 4 for an early yellow. The restart saw McSpadden, Green and Logan Dinsmore three wide for third as Tidwell and Morris got away.

Hortch would bring out yellow on lap 4 with a turn 4 spin. On the restart, L. Dinsmore jumped to the high side sailing past Morris and Tidwell for the lead on lap 5 before a tangle by David Gibson and Cody Duke slowed the pace again. The top three broke away while Jared Maupin worked his way to fourth. Chris Carroll and Ryan Doyon moved by Green for fifth and sixth.

At the crossed flags it was L. Dinsmore inching away, Morris, Maupin and McSpadden with Doyon and Carroll side by side for fifth. With five to go, L. Dinsmore had increased his margin to a half straightaway over Morris and Maupin battling for second, but coming up on heavy lapped traffic. Maupin got by Morris, but Rob Sanderson spun and collected Doyon for a lap 16 yellow.

Now with clean track ahead, L. Dinsmore had to hold off Morris and Maupin as the top three got away while Green, Carroll and McSpadden were three wide for fourth. L. Dinsmore(Kerrville) inched out to a couple car lengths to grab his second STIMS win in a row in the Sundowner Performance Diesel, Royals Automotive, Lowery Plumbing, Jcs Auto Body, Carquest of Kerrville, Swensons Racing Shocks, Relief for Troops, Jimmys Towing, Wehrs, Fast Shafts, Friesen crate, Assault by Dinsmore Chassis.

_DSC6545(1024x684)(2).jpg.1d534bc10da9346eb841bbe449d9a021.jpg

“Seems like we're on a roll with two in a row, I guess,” commented Dinsmore. “I'm just getting lucky, maybe, I don't know. I was running through the middle there and it did not feel good at all. I fell back a bit and then restarted on the top. It felt really good up there and I didn't want to leave it. Even in lapped traffic I didn't want to leave it.”

“I try out the top during hot laps. We rarely get up there. But I like the feeling of the cushion. I want to feel the right rear on it. After the heat and hot laps I send it up there just to feel what its like.”

“I saw the top couple guys were running high, but not all the way up. I thought maybe I could sneak by them. I fired good on that restart up there and stayed up there. When I got to Cody Tidwell I was as high as I could get it and felt my right rear go over the cushion. The worst thing that could happen is I fall off the track.”

“Dad kinda pissed me off in the heat race when he came by and blew my doors off. I had my hand up, like damn. He drove right around me. I knew he was gonna be good, but started deep in the feature. I was hoping maybe we could pull off another 1-2 battle for the win. He probably would have gotten me.”

“The two cars are a little different. Mine's almost a copy of what he's got going on. There's just little things different, the majority is from his car. He got that car from Steven Whiteaker and he was always fast in it. So knew I had to get some of that set up on my car.”

“I was actually kind of thankful for that caution. I was getting into lapped traffic and tried to use the bottom and was on the verge of spinning out. Then the caution came out as my savior. Now I just have to restart good with clean air and track. I kind of helped me in the long run.”

STIMS by Hortch Speed Shop

8jr Logan Dinsmore, 94 Chris Morris, 91 Jared Maupin, 15 Chris Carroll, 48r Raymond McSpadden, 82 Rick Green, 18s Shawn Sandergren, 33 Brayden Tomlinson, 73d Jacob Hortch, 27s Charles Strong, 26d Cody Duke, 141 Rob Sanderson, 71 Anthony Gordon, 366 David Gibson, 10 Wade Pistole jr., 5r Ryan Doyon, 17 Cody Tidwell, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 77 Robert Liese jr., 488 Stephen Boubel, 22z Darrell Boyd---dns

STIMS heats

Heat 1; 5r Ryan Doyon, 82 Rick Green, 48r Raymond McSpadden, 91 Jared Maupin, 26d Cody Duke, 71 Anthony Gordon, 77 Robert Liese jr.

Heat 2; 8g Greg Dinsmore, 8jr Logan Dinsmore, 73d Jacob Hortch, 141 Rob Sanderson, 33 Brayden Tumlinson, 488 Stephen Boubel

Heat 3; 17 Cody Tidwell, 94 Chris Morris, 15 Chris Carroll, 27s Charles Strong, 366 David Gibson, 22z Darrell Boyd, 10 Wade Pistole jr.

Torres Tops from the Tail

Polesitter Joshua Tuttle got a good jump on green for the Limited Modified 20-lapper with Robert Wiggins second and Jared Maupin, Rowdy Flanagan and Trent Beaver three wide for third. Wiggins got sideways off turn 4 scattering the field causing Anthony Gordon to hit an infield tire sending on the track for an early caution.

On the restart, Beaver got by Tuttle for the lead with Maupin following to second, and Johnny Torres, substituting for Brian Harbison, coming from the back to third. Maupin was looking low on Beaver when Tuttle looped it for another quick caution. Beaver got out back under green while Maupin and Torres battled wheel to wheel for second and Jaden Edmund moved to fifth.

Beaver's run up front ended when he broke and stopped in turn 4. Wiggins and Charles Flanagan tangled in the back up. Back to green with Torres up front and Maupin on his tail, Edmund got third from R. Flanagan who was left battling with Tom Grothues for fourth. Just before halfway Wiggins and Tuttle had synchronized spins in turn 1.

Back to green coming to halfway with Torres, Maupin, R. Flanagan, Edmund and Anthony Gordon in the top five. Edmund and R. Flanagan continued to swap third while Torres crept ahead to about 6-car lengths. Torres(San Antonio) held that advantage to score the win the Brian Harbison owned, 8T1 Construction, Wells Race Engines, IRP Chassis, that expired a motor coming to the checkers.

_DSC6844(1024x684)(2).jpg.3a6b09f1e083d106c3578af84818181f.jpg

“When I pulled up on the tech pad with the Factory Stock, Brian(Harbison) said 'you're going to drive my Limited Mod and try to go for two,” said Torres. “We've had such bad luck with that car, including tonight blowing a motor. This should be about the third win on that car.”

“It's a motor that we didn't have a lot of confidence in anyway. It's a little less of a bummer, but it still sucks to break a motor.”

“I had to start last since we switched drivers. I was definitely coming and catching Trent(Beaver). So I think I would have had something for him if he didn't break earlier. I knew when I could pass Jared(Maupin) in the middle that the car was really good. We don't have a lot of slick(track) laps on either car. So I knew, when I could run the slick and stay next to him, the car was pretty fast.”

Limited Modified by Iron Horse RV

11x JohnnyTorres, 96 Jared Maupin, 00e Jaden Edmund, 58 Rowdy Flanagan, 57 Charles Flanagan, 26 Robert Wiggins, 11t Tom Grothues, 22m Anthony Gordon, 747 Joshua Tuttle, 14 Trent Beaver

Limited Mod heats

Heat 1; 22m Anthony Gordon, 11t Tom Grothues, 57 Charles Flanagan, 58 Rowdy Flanagan, 747Joshua Tuttle

Heat 2; 96 Jared Maupin, 14 Trent Beaver, 00e Jaden Edmund, 11x Brian Harbison, 26Robert Wiggins

Torres Tops Again

Johnny Walker Brown jumped out to an early lead in the 20-lap Factory Stock feature as Wade Jones spun to slow the pace. The restart saw Brown who would slip too high and Michael Keylich door to door for the lead with M. Keylich getting the spot ahead of Jarrett Payton, Dakota Hurley, Johnny Torres and Allen Torres.

Brown clipped an infield tire sending it on track for a lap 4 caution. M. Keylich and Hurley swapped the point back under green while positions changed through out as Jared Maupin made his way to fourth. Hurley finally inched into the top spot on lap 6 with M. Keylich trying to fight back. At halfway it was Hurley, M. Keylich, J. Torres, Maupin and A. Torres in the top five.

J. Torres got by M. Keylich for second on lap 11 while A. Torres and Jones were side by side for fifth. Maupin had just taken third from M. Keylich when Shane Lander looped it in turn 4 for a caution. Hurley inched ahead on green while J. Torres and Maupin fought for second and A. Torres, M. Keylich and Jones were three wide for fourth.

J. Torres finally shook Maupin and began pressuring Hurley for the lead. J. Torres moved up to high side and drove around Hurley for the lead on lap 18. From there, J. Torres(San Antonio) was able to inch away the final two laps for the win in the Scott Ball Racing, 8T1 Construction, All in Designs, Diffs by Dale, CRS Suspension, Sundowner Performance, 1st Class Towing, Hercules Foundation, Rush Gear by Austin Witt, Allen’s 24/7 Towing, Mission Auto Parts, Dirt Defender, Best Engines, Outlaw chassis.

_DSC6622(1024x684)(2).jpg.a3bfd0e3c7cda6a92142cc746ea5fa6c.jpg

“That was a crazy race,” added Torres. “I guess everybody thought it would be tacky, including me. We all had our cars set up really loose and free. I knew my only chance was go around him(Hurley) on the outside. I just had no grip on the bottom. It was pretty slick down there. I knew Hurley would run the bottom so picking him off on the restart was my only hope.”

“I don't even have to hear on the radio where Jared(Maupin) is. I know he's going to be headed to the front. So I really don't pay much attention to the line up numbers on a caution. I know he's going to be there. We've had a lot of battles and I know it's going to be a good clean race.

Factory Stocks by All in Designs

66 Johnny Torres; 40 Dakota Hurley, 91 Jared Maupin, 94 Allen Torres, 44k Michael Keylich, 18s Jarrett Payton, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 41 Wade Jones, 34 Hunter Peterson, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 64L Shane Lander, 56 Brian Schneider, 7 Johnny Walker Brown, 92 Robert Keylich

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 94 Allen Torres, 7 Johnny Walker Brown, 18s Jarrett Payton, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 34 Hunter Peterson, 92r Robert Keylich, 41 Wade Jones

Heat 2; 66 Johnny Torres, 44k Michael Keylich, 91 Jared Maupin, 40 Dakota Hurley, 56 Brian Schneider, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 64L Shane Lander

Cowboy Corrals TDTS Cash

The start of the Texas Dirt Truck Series feature saw Eric Ramos get the lead off turn 2, but Tommy Grimes, up top, went around Ramos in turns 3-4 to lead lap 1 followed by Tony Bernal, Ramos, Russ Parker and Larry Baggett. Grimes and Bernal then went door to door for the lead until a spin by Johnny Johnson brought out a yellow.

Back under green, Grimes and Bernal got away with Baggett getting fourth from Parker, then third from Ramos. Grimes and Bernal resumed their side by side fight allowing Baggett to close the gap. With Bernal getting the nose out front, Baggett looked to go three wide as they came to halfway showing Bernal, Grimes, Baggett, Ramos and Colton Borlace in the top five.

Johnson looped in front of the leaders with Bernal getting caught up, but returning to the point under caution. Baggett got second from Grimes on the restart and wasted little time diving under Bernal in turn 4 to lead on lap 11. Evident Ivy got loose off turn 4 sending Borlace and Parker scrambling through the infield as Parker regained fifth with no yellow.

With five to go Baggett was now edging away from Bernal and Grimes while Ramos, Parker and Borlace had their own scrap going on for fourth before Ramos and Borlace made contact but continued on. Up front it was the 2019 TDTS Champion, Baggett(Burnet) taking the checkers in his L&S Lawns, Mason Building Supplys, 602 crate powered BMF Chassis, making the fourth different winner in four TDTS features.

_DSC6636(1024x684)(2).jpg.994f19db3b5e6282e81fc5348f8a8116.jpg

“It was tough competition tonight,” replied Baggett. “If it wasn't for Tommy(Grimes) and his crew I don't know if I'd have gotten up there. We lost a back caliper and those guys fought hard to get it back on there. The last five laps it broke again. I was just coasting along pretty much. We lucked out and got a good victory out of it.”

“This truck series is getting bigger, I can't thank the Texas Dirt Truck Series enough for the opportunity to race with them. More and more good guys are coming in. We're growing and having fun.”

“This is my first win here. We've raced on and off for a while picking up the championship in 2019. This is our first win this season.”

Texas Dirt Truck Series

3 Larry Baggett, 81 Tony Bernal, 22t Tommy Grimes, 28 Russ Parker, 693 Colton Borlace, 9 Eric Ramos, 08 Evident Ivy, 43 Johnny Johnson, 4 Treyler Caulfield

TDTS heats

Heat 1; 81 Tony Bernal, 22t Tommy Grimes, 3 Larry Baggett, 08 Evident Ivy, 43 Johnny Johnson

Heat 2; 28 Russ Parker, 9 Eric Ramos, 693 Colton Borlace, 4 Treyler Caulfield

Gordon Golden in Fireball Fight

The 20-lap Fireball feature saw Joseph Montemayor get the point off turn 2, but it was Shane Stonebraker grabbing the top spot off turn 4 trailed by Montemayor, DJ Schroat, Anthony Gordon and Jennie Barber. Schroat and Gordon quickly got by Montemayor leaving him four wide with Matthew Hodge, Howie Marcx and Dale Caswell.

Schroat took over the lead on lap 2 as Stonebraker gave up spots to Gordon and Hodge in the following laps. Gordon caught Schroat for the lead on lap 6 with Hodge closing on both. The top three were nose to tail before Scott Walker looped it in turn 2 for a lap 9 yellow.

On the restart the top 3 got ahead while AJ Dancer got fourth from Stonebraker. At halfway it was Schroat, Gordon, Hodge, Dancer and Stonebraker. Gordon got inside Schroat for the lead on lap 13 through turns 3-4 and by. Montemayor and Kelly Marbach tangled on lap 14 in turn 3 for a caution.

Schroat tried to sail the high side on the restart, but spun in turn 4 to bring yellow right back out. The top three of Gordon, Hodge and Dancer pulled away back under green while Schroat quickly made up spots from the back. But Schroat tried a little too hard diving under Stonebraker sending him around in turn 1.

As green waved again with three to go, Hodge gave Gordon a good look low off turn 2 and again off turn 4. Gordon held him off as they both eased away from Dancer. Gordon(San Antonio) was able to hold Hodge off the final lap for the win in the Ray Doyon owned, 3D Landscaping, Mark Herring Race Engine, former asphalt Camaro.

_DSC6709(1024x684)(2).jpg.766235bcfda2d5af77be5c1df40262fc.jpg

“We've got two wins and a second now,” said Gordon. “It was a last minute deal. I was down at Ray's(Doyon) and asked him who was driving my car. He said 'Nobody, if you want to drive it, it's yours' and they worked on it a little bit. It was fun to get back in it. It's a fun class, reminds me of the Street Stocks. It was cool to have our second largest car count tonight.”

“I don't expect the 8(DJ Schroat) to blow by me on the start like that. It didn't take off, I just stayed in it and when he messed up I was able to capitalize. Luckily Matt(Hodge) drove me clean. A couple times he could have easily laid the bumper on me and moved me out of the way.”

“There's no comparison to the IMCA Modified or Limited Modified and these. That mod is wild. It's a blast to drive. I can't thank Gene enough for letting me get my feet wet in it. It's a learning curve. The Limited mod and Stock cars are my home.”

Fireballs by Winners Circle Transmissions

99 Anthony Gordon, 58 Matthew Hodge, h2s Shane Stonebraker, 1 Dale Caswell, 13 Howie Marcx, 28 Levi Hernandez, 18m Joseph Montemayor, 17 Scott Walker, 8 DJ Schroat, 6 Kelly Marbach, 19 Jennie Barber, 14 Mark Pivarnik, 52 AJ Dancer---dq(tech--tire), 93 Aaron Leddy---dns, 64 Danny Dear ---dns

Fireball heats

Heat 1; 13 Howie Marcx, 58 Matthew Hodge, h2s Shane Stonebraker, 19 Jennie Barber, 28 Levi Hernandez, 14 Mark Pivarnik, 6 Kelly Marbach, 1 Dale Caswell

Heat 2; 99 Anthony Gordon, 64 Danny Dear, 18m Joseph Montemayor, 8 DJ Schroat, 17 Scott Walker, 52 AJ Dancer, 93 Aaron Leddy

Tait Back on Top

Sonny Kinnaman led the way at the start of the 20-lap Sport Compact feature chased by Rod Tait, Josh Jones, Sam Walker and James Baum. Last years track champ, Tait, wasted little time getting past Kinnaman for the lead on lap 2 with Jones following to second. Ryker Hernandez, winner of the last couple races, quickly got by Kinnaman and Walker for third.

At the midway point it was Tait, Jones, Hernandez, Walker with Eric Wilson and Justin Van Winkle side by side for fifth. Wilson got the position then took fourth from Walker. Then came a scary moment when Walker's car erupted in flames under the hood. She was able to safely pull to the infield and bail out uninjured while the safety crew put out the fire.

On the restart, Hernandez and Jones swapped second, while Van Winkle and Kinnaman were side by side for fourth. As Jones and Hernandez battled for second, Tait was able to put some distance on them. Tait(San Antonio), who rolled the car two races ago, was able to grab the victory in the Big Moe Automotive, Turtle Team Racing, Duchess Decals, Kinnaman Racing, Pontiac Sunfire.

“After having it on its roof a couple races ago we basically had to cut the car in half and put it back together the best we can,” explained Tait. “This is actually two cars pieced back together. I still haven't gotten to the roof and quarter panels. It's still a work in progress.”

“We've got it back together. The car is running great. I've got it dialed back in. It was pretty loose last race, but I think I've got back together where it needs to be.”

“I've got an idea to eliminate the tractor tires. These cars are so light that it just doesn't take much to flip them over. I've talked to the track about my idea and I'm going to fabricate it for them just to see what happens. They don't have to like it, back maybe they can try it. I just think it would be a good alternative at this point. Something will give a little bit, but not get in the way.”

Sport Compacts by Johnson Supply

70 Rod Tait, 11j Josh Jones, 22 Ryker Hernandez, 18 Eric Wilson, 825 Justin Van Winkle, 38 Sonny Kinnaman, 007 James Baum, 98 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 76y Donald Lewis, 3% Sam Walker, 85 Michelle Conlee, 43 Jennifer Kidd---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 38 Sonny Kinnaman, 98 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 18 Eric Wilson, 11j Josh Jones, 43 Jennifer Kidd, 825 Justin Van Winkle

Heat 2; 70 Rod Tait, 22 Ryker Hernandez, 007 James Baum, 76y Donald Lewis, 3% Sam Walker, 85 Michelle Conlee