Pink Out/Texas Dirt Truck Series/Final Points Night @ I-37 Speedway 10-7-23

Pink Out/Texas Dirt Truck Series/Final Points Night @ I-37 Speedway 10-7-23

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton TX.,(Oct. 7Th, 2023) Finally cooler temperatures!

Saturday night capped off the 2023 I-37 Speedway points season on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval for the remaining track classes, Go-Karts and Texas Dirt Truck Series all deciding their champions. Late September ended the IMCA points season with Logan Dinsmore picking up his first ever IMCA Modified track championship.

The Late Models are pretty much decided coming into the night with Ryan Doyon 33 ahead of his father, Ray. Robby Minten, Mark Taylor and Jamie Campbell round out the top five.

Rookie, Ryker Hernandez, has such a large lead(49) that no one can catch him in the Limited Modified points chase no matter what. Tom Grothues, Cody Beddoe, Nathan Titzman and Trent Beaver complete the top five.

In Factory Stocks it's between Kasey Krauss(leader) and Frank Okruhlik(second) for the track title with 16 markers separating the two. Okruhlik needs to win and hope Krauss has early trouble to have a shot at catching him. Michael Keylich, Allen Torres and Jarrett Payton have their own battle for third through fifth.

Not to be lost in the track championship, it was the third and final race in the Poker Run mini-series which will also see a titlist named. It's a wide open battle with Rusty Head leading Krauss by one point, Trey Jones by two points, Mike Lyon by three points while Torres and Austin Bean are tied six points back.

The new Fireball class has multi-race winner Matthew Hodge taking the title by seven over Bobby Jack with Joseph Montemayor, William Cavender and Lance Gaither in the top five. This new class, that started with three cars, has grown to a dozen throughout the season.

Sport Compacts have an even closer fight for the title. Rod Tait jumped into the points last race after Brandon McCall had motor trouble. Tate moved past McCall by three points after trailing throughout the late summer. Sam Walker, Josh Jones and John Thomas fill out the top five.

Go-Kart points(top three)

Adult Predator; Charles Flanagan, Blaine Markgraf, Noah VanBlarcum

Senior Division; Beau Payton, Tripp Whitmire, Lane Tuttle

Junior Division; Cheston Markgraf, Ryder Welker, Colt Stafford/Woody Powell(tied)

Youth Division; “Fast” Eddy Lewis, Astryd Gordon, Eleanor Maurer/Mason Villarreal(tied)

**Current points listed do not show a “drop race.”

In the Texas Dirt Truck Series Tony Bernal comes into the night 50 points ahead of Jaime Green with Colton Borlace third, Buster Dean fourth and Aaron Leddy fifth.

Doyon Back On Track

The start of the 20-lap Late Model main saw Robby Minten jump out to a big lead after Ray Doyon and Matt Fox made contact. Trailing Minten were Jamie Campbell, Ryan Doyon, Jason Kelly and Mark Taylor. Minten would slip high with Ry. Doyon getting by for the lead on lap 3. Minten tried to dive low for the lead back, but Ra. Doyon rolled to a stop in turn 4.

On the restart, Minten broke something in the rear suspension ending his challenge for the win. Once back to green Taylor took third from Kelly with Fox following a lap later to fourth before Kelly would have mechanical issues stopping on the back stretch. With Ry. Doyon getting away from Campbell on green, Fox took third from Taylor.

By halfway Ry. Doyon was pulling away from Campbell and with five to go had built a half straightaway lead. Campbell changed his line and slowly ate into that lead, but never close enough to mount a challenge. Ry. Doyon(LaCoste), who lost in the bounty race last time out, showed dominance again taking the victory in the 3-D Landscaping, Alamo Truck & Accessories, Ewing Irrigation & Landscape Supply, Gunn Fleet Management Chevrolet, 4D Ranch, 89 Motorsports, Eagle crate powered, MB Custom Chassis.

387227245_JMH_3687(800x534)(2).jpg.08c578420b3b7d10b51a5e292171a1ac.jpg

“I don't know if I've got my mojo back,” said Doyon. “I had a little bad luck last race. The car felt real good then too. I think I could have come home top three last race. It is what it is and here we are.”

“Robby was very fast tonight. In the heat race and first couple laps of the feature I thought we were going to have a pretty good race. Maybe it might come down to the end, but I think he broke a right rear shock. He said his car wasn't handling the way he wanted it to.”

“It seemed that dad stopped pretty early on. I felt like there were only a few cars left at the end. I always kind of look and listen to know if anyone is coming. I was running the top line a little because it was way smoother. I saw someone show the nose so I got back down to the bottom.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

5r Ryan Doyon, 29 Jamie Campbell, 53x Matt Fox, 77 Mark Taylor, 12d Carl Dyer, 57 Jason Kelly, 24r Robby Minten, 9 Ray Doyon

Late Model heat

Heat 1; 24r Robby Minten, 29 Jamie Campbell, 5r Ryan Doyon, 53x Matt Fox, 9 Ray Doyon, 57 Jason Kelly, 77 Mark Taylor, 12d Carl Dyer

Mikulencak Overcomes Mistake in Limited Modifieds

The 20-lap Limited Modified feature got off to a rocky start with Charles Flanagan first into turn 1. Flanagan got loose and slid up opening the door for Bobby Smith to get by off turn 2. Smith would get out of shape in turn 4, clip Steven Whiteaker III turning him hard into the front stretch wall.

On the second start Jared Maupin led the charge into turn 1 for the lead ahead of Flanagan, Benjamin Mikulencak, Joshua Tuttle and Marcus Mikulencak. M. Mikulencak, made contact with Tuttle sending him around collecting, IMCA Modified champ Logan Dinsmore, in a borrowed ride. M. Mikulencak would get sent to the tail.

On the restart, Maupin would break and pull up high in turn 2 for another caution. Finally under green again, Flanagan would get out front with B. Mikulencak getting along side. The two were wheel to wheel on lap 3 before B. Mikulencak got the point on lap 4 while M. Mikulencak worked back up going by Tom Grothues for fifth.

Up front, Flanagan would go around B. Mikulencak for the lead again on lap 6 as M. Mikulencak and Torres ran side by side for third. Tuttle brought out a lap 8 caution when he went up in smoke. Officials cut the race to 15 laps under time limits. On the restart, B. Mikulencak looked low on Flanagan retaking the spot on lap 9.

M. Mikulencak, Torres and Flanagan went three wide for second and caught B. Mikulencak for the lead. M. Mikulencak got under B. Mikulencak with the two making some contact before M. Mikulencak took over the lead bringing Torres along to second. M. Mikulencak(Corpus Christi) would make it two in a row taking the win in the L87 Speedway, Ace Transmission, Flanagans Muffler Shop, Vinco Plumbing, All in Designs, Swensons Racing Shocks, 3-D Landscaping, Grays Recycling, On Demand Shirts, home built engine, IRP Chassis

.310665782_JMH_3657(800x534)(2).jpg.8873f8d3017507f5733a995cc3c5aca3.jpg

Swenson Racing Products Limited Modifieds

87 Marcus Mikulencak, 11x Johnny Torres, 13 Benjamin Mikulencak, 30k Logan Dinsmore, 57 Charles Flanagan, 11t Tom Grothues, 9s Bobby Smith, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 747 Joshua Tuttle, 48 Chris Swenson, 96 Jared Maupin, 89 Steven Whiteaker III

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 87 Marcus Mikulencak , 13 Benjamin Mikulencak, 57Charles Flanagan, 747 Joshua Tuttle, 88 Steven Whiteaker III, 55 Ryker Hernandez

Heat 2; 96 Jared Maupin, 9s Bobby Smith, 11x Johnny Torres, 30k Logan Dinsmore, 48 Chris Swenson, 11t Tom Grothues

Two in a Row for Torres

The end of season, 20-lap Factory Stock was, ummm interesting and entertaining, as one would expect. As the green waved, pole sitter Mason Casteneda found himself in the infield losing numerous spots. Rusty Head came out with the lead chased by Trey Jones, Jared Maupin, and the two points contenders, Kasey Krauss and Frank Okruhlik.

Makayla Trimble went around collecting Mike Lyon for a lap 1 caution. On the restart Maupin and Jones ran door to door for second with Okruhlik, Casteneda and Shannon Maurer three wide as Krauss backed out of the chaos up front. Hunter Peterson spun in turn 4 collecting Trimble and Robert Keylich with Austin Bean ending up in the front stretch wall.

Once back to green, Allen Torres was on the move getting by Ohkrulik before Maupin broke, tried to exit in turn 4, and get tagged by Dylan Kowalik. Three laps, three cautions. Finally back under green, A. Torres got a run on Head for the lead getting the point on lap 5 while Okruhlik got a spot from Maurer and Johnny Torres, oddly using the top, got by Casteneda.

After a spin by Travis Slavik on lap 6, Maurer and Jones were side by side for third. Coming to halfway it was A. Torres, Head, Maurer and Jones with Okruhlik and J. Torres side by side for fifth. Johnny Walker Brown went for a lap 11 spin bringing the pace down. As A. Torres and Head got away, J. Torres, still up top, got past Jones for fourth.

Head closed the gap on A. Torres for the lead with five to go, while J. Torres went around Maurer for third. A. Torres had his rear deck come loose and start flapping in the breeze. He also had another problem, brother, Johnny, took second from Head. With two to go the trunk blew off to cause a caution. In past years that would have resulted in a trip to the tail. But a rule change in 2021 saved him from that fate.

The first try at a green, white, checker finish saw Brown and Justin Randel get together. Back under green, coming to the white flag, Maurer and Head made contact in turn 2 sending Head around. A. Torres got a couple car lengths on J. Torres and was able to claim family bragging rights for the weekend taking the checkers in his Hercules Foundation Repair, Allens, 24/7 Towing, Sundowner Diesel Performance, Drive In Truck Salvage, 91 Shock Specialties, All in Designs, Best Race Engines powered, Destroyer Chassis.

1700674547_JMH_3959(800x534)(2).jpg.74ca5965ab0da9d54f714d9d9331f1c9.jpg

“Two in a row, picking up speed,” explained Torres. “On that last restart I heard them say on the raceceiver, 94, 66. Once I heard that I thought 'oh man here we go.' Johnny for sure would dump me for a win. I would.”

“I was freaking when they said I was at the back on that one early restart. I didn't know my transponder wasn't hitting. I didn't hit anybody, What am I doing back here.”

“I knew it was my trunk that came off. I told the mechanic that helps me that we needed to weld a brace that holds the hood pin. It never got welded. So I was thinking, I just lost $1,000 for an inch weld. That you Ray, thank you rule change!”

Whether by choice or by chance, Krauss fell back throughout the race, but stayed out of harms way and held on to enough of a margin to take the track championship.

After post-race discussion between officials, Maurer was penalized for contact with Head. Maurer was relegated to last on the lead lap while Head was awarded third.

With his third place finish, Head picked up the All in Design, 'Poker Run' Mini-Series championship and an extra $500. Trey Jones grabbed an extra $300 for second and A. Torres added to his $1,000 win with another $200 for third in series points.

All in Design Factory Stocks

94 Allen Torres, 66 Johnny Torres, 55 Rusty Head, 11 Trey Jones, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 63 Chase Sanchez, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 3t Travis Slavik, 28m Mason Casteneda, 44k Michael Keylich, 20 Mike Lyon, 19j Justin Randel, 18s Jarrett Payton, 53k Kasey Krauss, 92r Robert Keylich, 02 Shannon Maurer---BF, 7 Johnny Walker Brown, 91 Jared Maupin, 44 Austin Bean, 39 Makayla Trimble, 34h Hunter Peterson, 50 Cris White---dns

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 91 Jared Maupin, 66 Johnny Torres, 28m Mason Casteneda, 39 Makayla Trimble, 20 Mike Lyon, 7 Johnny Walker Brown, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 50 Cris White

Heat 2; 94 Allen Torres, 11 Trey Jones, 55 Rusty Head, 3t Travis Slavik, 44k Michael Keylich, 18s Jarrett Payton, 34h Hunter Peterson

Heat 3; 53k Kasey Krauss, 02 Shannon Maurer, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 63 Chase Sanchez, 44 Austin Bean, 19j Justin Randel, 92r Robert Keylich

Barber Best from Back

Lee Sasso got a good jump on green leading the 20-lap Texas Dirt Truck Series feature into turn 1 over Evahdent Ivy, Russ Parker, Colton Borlace and Johnny Johnson. Borlace, Johnson and Adam Tracy went three wide with A. Tracy and Johnson tangling on the front stretch for an early caution. On the restart, Borlace, Tommy Grimes and Ivy were three wide for second. Grimes got the spot and was quickly on Sasso for the lead.

Jarrett Barber, who started at the back after heat race issues, moved into the top five quickly getting by Parker and Sasso. Barber then picked off second from Borlace while Daniel Gaudette took fifth from Sasso. Grimes run up front ended on lap 9 when slowed and pulled off giving the top spot to Barber.

At the crossed flags it was Barber, Borlace, Parker, Gaudette and Sasso in the top five. But an engine compartment fire on Allen Leddy's truck brought out a red flag. Barber got away clean on the restart and began inching away as the top three separated from Gaudette, Shaun Tracy, Sasso and Ivy.

Barber was building his margin over Borlace while S. Tracy took fourth from Gaudette. As the white flag waved, Barber had a half straightaway on Borlace going on to the checkers in his Barber Oilfield Trucking, Ace Transmission, All In Designs, crate motor powered, ARTS Chassis.

1232224479_JMH_3911(800x534)(2).jpg.387c7155e60aea58064ed54eecb146f9.jpg

Despite, literally, blowing up a rear gear in the heat race, Tony Bernal had enough of a points cushion to secure the TDTS points championship.

“I want to thank I-37 Speedway for having the Texas Dirt Truck Series being part of their racing program,” commented Barber.

Texas Dirt Truck Series

19 Jarrett Barber, 693 Colton Borlace, 28 Russ Parker, 21t Shaun Tracy, 05 Daniel Gaudette, 1 Leo Sasso, 08 Evandent Ivy,6 Tommy Grimes, 17 Allen Leddy, 087 Adam Tracy,43 Johnny Johnson, 99 Allen Alexander---dns, 9 Pete Arce---dns, 81 Tony Bernal---dns

TDRS heats

Heat 1; 28 Russ Parker, 1 Leo Sasso, 21t Shaun Tracy, 08 Evahdent Ivy, 05 Daniel Gaudette, 17 Allen Leddy, 9 Pete Arce

Heat 2; 6 Tommy Grimes, 693 Colton Borlace, 087 Adam Tracy, 43 Johnny Johnson, 81 Tony Bernal,99 Allen Alexander, 19 Jarrett Barber

Schroat Scores First Feature

The Fireball feature took a number of turns(no pun intended) before the winner was official. At the start, Mickey Helms grabbed the point with Howie Marcx, Bobby Jack, DJ Schroat and Joseph Montemayor in his wake. Marcx began looking high, then low on Helms for the lead as the top five broke away.

Marcx had just gotten a good run on Helms when Schroat and Montemayor went around in turn 1. Helms jumped out on the restart while Schroat and Montemayor cleared Cody Clegg, Mark Pivarnik and William Cavender back into the top five. Pivarnik then stopped in turn 2 for a lap 8 yellow.

Helms got away on green while Marcx and Jack were door to door for second. Marcx got the spot with Jack now battling with Schroat and Montemayor for third going three wide. At halfway it was Helms, Marcx, Montemayor, Jack and Schroat, who take a spin to the infield for a lap 14 caution.

Marcx got a good launch on the restart to get past Helms for the lead on lap 15 with Schroat moving up quick to battle with Pivarnik for fifth. Helms was pressuring Marcx for the lead with the laps winding down looking low. As the leaders battled in turns 1-2, Montemayor expired an engine on the front stretch and coasted to the infield.

Marcx would find some fluid from Montemayor coming out of turn 4 and spin, Helms snuck past to get to the checkers with Shroat winning the drag race with Jack for second. In tech, Helms, driving a Texana Hobby Stock, which would have been legal in the Fireball class with different tires and 6600rpm chip, but illegal by Texana rules(crossover modification for after market fuel pump), was disqualified. This handed the win to Shroat(Adkins), his first ever feature win in the Bobby Jack owned, Texas Towing, Two Jacks Racing, Double D Racing, former San Antonio Speedway asphalt chassis.

2094791394_JMH_3649(800x534)(2).jpg.a5008cfca99decef4a9cadbad65b0624.jpg

“Ya, it's kind of a surprise,” replied Schroat. “You'll take them however you can get them I guess. I've raced Late Models, Modifieds, Street Stocks here but this is my first ever win. This is the first time in this car. I had a car out last race, but blew the motor in the heat race.”

“I saw everyone slowing down coming to the checkers when Howie(Marcx) spun out. I just held it to the floor and hoped for the best. I was pretty sure I beat Bobby(Jack) back to the line. I know I did. I could see him beside me passing the flagstand. I'll be in this car for the DTK Memorial race and probably build another car over the off season.”

Fireballs

81 DJ Schroat, 8 Bobby Jack, 14 Mark Pivarnik, 42 Cody Clegg, 13 Howie Marcx, 15 William Cavender, 18m Joseph Montemayor, 35 Mickey Helms(dq—tech), h2s Shane Stonebraker---dns

Fireball heat

Heat 1; 35 Mickey Helms, 13 Howie Marcx, 8 Bobby Jack, 81 DJ Schroat, 18m Joseph Montemayor, 14 Mark Pivarnik, 42 Cody Clegg, 15 William Cavender, h2s Shane Stonebraker

Hernandez on Hot Streak

Defending Sport Compact champion, Ryker Hernandez got the advantage at the start of the 20-lap Sport Compact feature. The two points challengers, Brandon McCall and Rod Tait fell in line second and third with Josh Jones and Kaden Moran following. McCall and R. Tait would literally start to slug it out for second running door to door, trading paint, giving Hernandez the opportunity to pull away.

At halfway it was Hernandez with a huge lead, Tait finally wrestled second away from McCall, with Moran and Jones in the top five. Sonny Kinnaman was able to get fifth from Jones before Jones retired with a sick sounding engine. Hernandez(San Antonio), with a half track lead, would take the win in the Irace Enterprises, Reflective Wrecker, TLC Graphics, Allways Dodge Chrysler Jeep, Unifirst, 2005 Chevy Cavalier, while R. Tait secured the 2023 track championship with his second place finish.

1774410250_JMH_3864(800x534)(2).jpg.02b37d65d3a8d7216da6208d81d2b429.jpg

“I wasn't concerned about the guys in the points chase,” said Hernandez. “Not even a little bit. I was just playing music in my head. Trying to keep myself entertained. I might have to install a radio. But I'm not that fancy with all the lights and that stuff.”

“We need some more people interested in buying this car. If we can sell this we might go to the Fireball class. We don't have a car for that class yet. That's why we need to sell this one.”

Iron Horse RV Sport Compacts

55 Ryker Hernandez, 70 Rod Tait, 51 Brandon McCall, 38 Sonny Kinnaman,02 Kaden Moran, 3% Sam Walker, 83 Priscilla Tait, 11j Josh Jones

Sport Compact heat

Heat 1; 55 Ryker Hernandez, 70 Rod Tait, 51 Brandon McCall 38 Sonny Kinnaman, 11j Josh Jones, 02 Kaden Moran, 83p Priscilla Tait, 3% Sam Walker

Go-Karts

Adult Predator; Jared Herring, Charles Flanagan***, Blaine Markgraf, Jarrett Taylor

Senior Division; Beau Payton***, Lane Tuttle, Eleanor Maurer

Junior Division; Sawyer Herring, Cheston Markgraf***, Bryan Sanchez

Youth Division; Fast Eddy Lewis***, Corbon Smith, Jeff Long

*** Denotes points champion

All that remains is the DTK Memorial slated for October 26-28 with practice Thursday, qualifying Friday and features Saturday and the season ending Redneck Stress Relief on November 4th. Follow the tracks website or social media page for more info on these shows as they draw nearer.

Edited by rebelracewriter