Some of My Memories at Meyer Speedway in Houston, in the late 70's

metroracer

Some of the Seens at Meyer Speedway in 1979,  The Track Closed for ever shortly after these Pic's were taken in the Summer of that Year.

Great Times,  Great Racers & Dedicated Racing Fans,  Great Track Owner & Promoter......

The Opening of Big-H Speedway in 1978 was some what some of the Issues leading the Closing.    

Thanks for Looking....

download (1).jpg

Meyer Speedway.jpg

R (2).jpg

86491062_2453394798304680_6567090950764494848_n.jpg

272969658_4959256230807335_5824193072500176771_n.jpg

Always enjoy looking at pictures of old race cars and the 70's - 80's are my favorites. I never got to see a race at Meyer Speedway (I was only 14 in 1978) but when my home track (C.C. Speedway) had a big $ race there was always a few cars from the Houston area that would show up, Tom Riley is one that I remember best . I think he raced at Meyer but I don't know that for a fact, but I do know that when he showed up in Corpus he run up front.

That suprises me that he was driving a team car with Johnny, I have no idea if are how Johnny did racing at Meyer but at C.C. he won some races but not on a regular basis and to the best of my knowledge never was a track champion. The few times I saw Tom race at C.C. he had a car that could win, he led all but a couple laps in a 100 lapper I think his car broke with 1 are 2 to go and Monty won the race, which for me was a bum deal (not a Monty fan at all). The car I remember Tom in was maybe red, blue & white #9 and no idea what make of car.

More of what I remember was that Tom was driving a Chevelle at CC and he was a front runner. One night during hot laps he pulled into the infield and decided to go to the pits not realizing another car was still out there. When he was crossing the track he was T-boned by the other car and his car was destroyed, after this is when he was offered a ride in one of Johnny's cars. At this time Johnny had two 1968 Dodge Chargers Former USAC, ARCA or CUP cars, both painted white and purple. Later they were replaced by two early 70's Dodge Challenger's painted yellow with red. I don't remember Johnny or Tom ever winning at Meyer in either cars. The part about Tom at CC was told to me, I never saw racing at CC until Years later.