NASCAR Desperation?

ron.brown11

I just read an article on Jayski.com. It looks like NASCAR is looking to start a driver incentive program (once the new tv media rights deals are signed for the 2025 season and beyond). This program will basically make the drivers paid spokesmen for NASCAR. Their task will be go make appearances touting NASCAR to the public. It's all still in the planning stages for how the payments would take place. But it sounds like it will be tied to how a driver performs throughout the season. To me, that sounds like another "the rich get richer" system. A small team/driver combo is probably never going to have the resources, to make as much money as better funded teams/drivers will. Hell, they are the ones that need it the most! Plus, by featuring some of the smaller teams & lesser known drivers might actually get some new viewers.

What I find interesting about this possible program, is the timing. With the drivers & the RTA not even bothering to show up for scheduled meetings with NASCAR, concerning how the possible breakdowns of the new tv deals, is this NASCAR trying to do an end around past the RTA? If so, that could get really interesting. The last time I checked, there aren't many independent owner/drivers anymore. So the drivers may carry some sway, but the team owners still carry the sacks of money, that funds the cars that the drivers race in. This could be fun to watch play out, if what little info that has gotten out is accurate.

I absolutely believe that it's a good thing. I have a Masters in marketing, so sure I believe getting the drivers out there touting the greatness of NASCAR. And it looks like NASCAR is going to invest millions for this program, if it comes to pass. So that begs the question, why haven't they done this before? They have a large public relations/marketing department, and make millions each year. I'm sure that someone in those departments have thought of this before. If not, maybe they shouldn't be there. So why now? Why is it a good thing & proactive now, but not once before in the last decade, or more? Unfortunately, I've seen enough things (some good, some bad) get floated before from NASCAR. One thing I've learned from those past events, NASCAR RARELY acts beyond what's good for NASCAR. If NASCAR is going to do something, you can bet that it's probably in their best interest, or they're being forced to act. Even if safety is involved.

In 2000, NASCAR lost 3 drivers to the exact same thing, basil skull fractures. Do you think that they hadn't already figured out what was causing that? They've been taking every car that has a fatal to their facilities for a long time now. All the while extolling the great safety of their cars. When NASCAR was sanctioning the Winter Heat series at Tucson Raceway Park, in the late 90s, they impounded Chris Saylor's car, when they thought he was going to die from his injuries. Thankfully Chis survived, and his dad got the car back about a month later. When John Baker was killed at Irwindale Speedway during a Southwest Tour race, they impounded his too. John's wife didn't get his car back for a long time, because she was seeing NASCAR & Irwindale. I don't know how much the settlement was, but there were 2 commas on the check his brother said. I also know that K&K Insurance (yeah the same K&K that used to sponsor the #71 in Cup for several seasons), pulled Irwindale's insurance coverage. John was the third fatality there in 3 seasons. After making the changes that K&K required there, they got to reopen. When Dale was killed, his car was also impounded. They didn't give that one up for a long time. They tried to convince the public that Dale's death was because of Bill Simpson's seatbelts. This was a guy that has done more for driver safety over the last 5 decades, than any other single person. He was so incensed over these allegations, that he sold the company and started legal filings against NASCAR. Once he was able to prove that his products, he started another driver safety company, Impact. 

With this new car, early on last season, drivers were complaining that impacts that were considered very minor in the old car, was really hurting them. We had what 3 different drivers hurt from rear impacts, causing concussions. Finally after enough crashes this year, they have changed the rear clip. Thankfully, after Larson & Preece's crash at Talladega, they didn't wait very long to make some major changes to the front clip & the right door bars. Kyle Larson was a very lucky man that day. I haven't seen a cockpit intrusion like that in years. Just from looking at the quick tv video shots, I saw 3 door bars that broke. I think it scared NASCAR too thankfully. 

All that was said to say this. Never underestimate NASCAR's ability to act in their best interest first, always..

9 hours ago, ron.brown11 said:

I absolutely believe that it's a good thing. I have a Masters in marketing, so sure I believe getting the drivers out there touting the greatness of NASCAR. And it looks like NASCAR is going to invest millions for this program, if it comes to pass. So that begs the question, why haven't they done this before? They have a large public relations/marketing department, and make millions each year. I'm sure that someone in those departments have thought of this before. If not, maybe they shouldn't be there. So why now? Why is it a good thing & proactive now, but not once before in the last decade, or more? Unfortunately, I've seen enough things (some good, some bad) get floated before from NASCAR. One thing I've learned from those past events, NASCAR RARELY acts beyond what's good for NASCAR. If NASCAR is going to do something, you can bet that it's probably in their best interest, or they're being forced to act. Even if safety is involved.

In 2000, NASCAR lost 3 drivers to the exact same thing, basil skull fractures. Do you think that they hadn't already figured out what was causing that? They've been taking every car that has a fatal to their facilities for a long time now. All the while extolling the great safety of their cars. When NASCAR was sanctioning the Winter Heat series at Tucson Raceway Park, in the late 90s, they impounded Chris Saylor's car, when they thought he was going to die from his injuries. Thankfully Chis survived, and his dad got the car back about a month later. When John Baker was killed at Irwindale Speedway during a Southwest Tour race, they impounded his too. John's wife didn't get his car back for a long time, because she was seeing NASCAR & Irwindale. I don't know how much the settlement was, but there were 2 commas on the check his brother said. I also know that K&K Insurance (yeah the same K&K that used to sponsor the #71 in Cup for several seasons), pulled Irwindale's insurance coverage. John was the third fatality there in 3 seasons. After making the changes that K&K required there, they got to reopen. When Dale was killed, his car was also impounded. They didn't give that one up for a long time. They tried to convince the public that Dale's death was because of Bill Simpson's seatbelts. This was a guy that has done more for driver safety over the last 5 decades, than any other single person. He was so incensed over these allegations, that he sold the company and started legal filings against NASCAR. Once he was able to prove that his products, he started another driver safety company, Impact. 

With this new car, early on last season, drivers were complaining that impacts that were considered very minor in the old car, was really hurting them. We had what 3 different drivers hurt from rear impacts, causing concussions. Finally after enough crashes this year, they have changed the rear clip. Thankfully, after Larson & Preece's crash at Talladega, they didn't wait very long to make some major changes to the front clip & the right door bars. Kyle Larson was a very lucky man that day. I haven't seen a cockpit intrusion like that in years. Just from looking at the quick tv video shots, I saw 3 door bars that broke. I think it scared NASCAR too thankfully. 

All that was said to say this. Never underestimate NASCAR's ability to act in their best interest first, always..

nascar can pay me to paint my  truck or wrap it with thier logo  . U HAVE  time to see my truck  as i go by .i am not  in such a hury  anymore .. and have  more time just to run around .but money talk bs walks ..