Royal Rumble Finale, Late Model Double Features @ I-37 Speedway 6/17/23

Royal Rumble Finale, Late Model Double Features @ I-37 Speedway 6/17/23

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(June 17th, 2023) Schweaty Balls Night….I didn't make this up, really! But quite apropos to say the least!

It was time to crown the IMCA Modified Royal Rumble mini-series, sponsored by Sundowner Performance Diesel, champion. There's been three different winners in the previous three races, Dillon Tindall, Chris Morris and last race winner Ryan Doyon.

The first two events came down to the wire with a late race caution rebunching the pack. The latest show was a caution filled affair, as I guess drivers were trying to beat the approaching rain. It too, ended with a green, white, checker finish.

It's a tight battle in points Tindall and Tanner Whitmire tied for the lead. Chris Morris is only two back while Logan Dinsmore is right behind only three points out and Doyon rounding out the top five needing some help.

The rain did catch the Late Models after their heats were run, so it would be a double feature night. The line ups would go as planned for the June 3rd with any new comers tagging the tail. The $1,000 to win was still up for grabs, The second feature would line up by qualifying, and a random invert, paying $750 to win, $100 fast time bonus and $100 extra to sweep both events.

Also on the nights racing slate were Limited Modifieds, Factory Stocks and Sport Compacts. Keep checking the I-37 Speedway social media for info on the Factory Stock Poker Run series coming later in the year.

Late Pass gives Doyon Dough

In the scheduled 20-lap affair, 22 Late Models took the green in a race that was dotted by short runs, cautions. Austin Theiss grabbed the early lead trailed by Scooter Manchester, Ray Doyon, Matt Fox and Ryan Doyon. After several cautions and restarts Ry. Doyon had worked his way to third with Robby Minten up to fifth.

More stoppages and restarts saw Ry. Doyon get second from Manchester while R. Doyon fell victim to one of the yellows ending his top five run. Due to time limits the race was cut to a 5-lap shootout, then a green, white checker finish. As the final two laps came down Ry. Doyon saw an opening getting under A. Theiss for the lead coming to the white flag.

Ry. Doyon(LaCoste) in the 3-D Landscaping, Alamo Truck & Accessories, Ewing Irrigation & Landscape Supply, Gunn Fleet Management Chevrolet, 4D Ranch, 89 Motorsports, Eagle crate powered, MB Custom Chassis inched ahead to score the victory.

1666301268_JMH_1609(800x534)(2).jpg.49c0caf549b2eaad901550f070d35d68.jpg

With all the restarts I kept showing him the nose,” commented Doyon. “I was sure he was going to block me. He never did and I had luck with that green, white, checker finish. I made the bottom work and got the pass.”

All those cautions, it gets frustrating. You're getting hot, you know you want to win, but just get the race over with and get out of the car. Under yellow I just try to refocus myself. Then lock back in when there's one to go.”

Qualifying gave us a little idea on what to do with the car. More-so it showed me where I was compared to some of the other guys that I haven't really run against much. I knew there were some faster guys and where they would be. It let me know where I need to make up ground.”

In that second race I really didn't see it coming,” added Doyon about a turn 2 encounter with a spinning car. “I was tucked in behind second and suddenly there was a spinning car. I tried to spin to keep from T-boning him. He just got me in the door, nothing too bad. I saw the sheet metal hanging off (Rhett) Starnes car on the next restart. I didn't think that would be good aerodynamically. If I could get a good start I could pull him on the straightaway and get by.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models(Make up feature)

5r Ryan Doyon, 7d Austin Theiss, 40 Scooter Manchester , 24r Robby Minten, 12 Kody Hardage, 25 Robbie Starnes, 99x Craig Oakes, 53x Matt Fox, 99 Frank Okruhlik, 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 23 Michael Keylich, 57 Jason Kelly, 77 Mark Taylor, 29 Jamie Campbell, 3 Ray Doyon III, 7x Rory Jordan, 78 Eddy Hardage, 7 Rhett Starnes, 5 Ryan McDonald, 7dd David Theiss, 5dd DJ Schroat, 26 Donald Lehman

Theiss Tames Feature Two

Nineteen cars made the call for the second Late Model main lined up after qualifying earlier. Austin Theiss beat polesitter Rhett Stanes off turn 2 to grab the point followed by Rh. Starnes, Kody Hardage, Ryan Doyon and Scooter Manchester. Doyon moved to the top and got by Hardage for third until Robby Minten stopped in turn 2.

Once back to green, Robbie Starnes took fifth from Hardage as the laps clicked off quickly. Coming to halfway it was A. Theiss, Rh. Starnes, Doyon, Manchester and Ro. Starnes in the top five. As the lead pack caught traffic David Theiss had trouble collecting Rh. Starnes and Doyon. Both Rh. Starnes and Doyon were able to continue, but Rh. Starnes had significant body damage to the right rear.

As A. Theiss took off back to green, Doyon got by the wounded car of Rh. Starnes for second with Manchester following along to third. A lap later Eddy Hardage and Mark Taylor tangled for a lap 16 caution. As green waved again A. Theiss got away while Doyon and Manchester battled for second.

With A. Theiss now creeping away from the second place scrap, Brandon Brzozowski, Hardage and Rh. Starnes were three wide for fifth. Manchester would finally secure second from Doyon, but A. Theiss(Tomball) had pulled away in his Saye Plumbing Contractors, LT Munitions, Sani Weld Inc.,Performance Race Engineering, Eagle Crate powered Rocket XR-1 Chassis for the win.

1391069890_JMH_1585(800x534)(2).jpg.b5a7b85d6c30b30c6e001477cdc545ee.jpg

That first race was a little unfortunate,” related Theiss. “The second one worked out for us. So all-in-all it was a good night. A first and second isn't bad and second-third for one of my main sponsors(Scooter Manchester). It was a good night for everybody.”

We've been here a handful of times. Last time we won our heat which set us up good for the first feature. That race was kind of a catastrophe with all the cautions. We're used to qualifying with our Super car and I enjoy qualifying more. Sometimes you have heats. It is what it is. It's all racing and everyone has to be on the same track.”

Everyone has good or bad nights, you still have to line up next to them. It doesn't really make much difference if we don't run against some guys regularly. They're just another racers and you race them like they're the best in the country.”

Running the first race helped a little with the set up on the second. I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice. So I was staying on the bottom. I learned from how I lost that first one. I knew where I was faster and saw (turns) 1-2 was tacking up around the top. I made sure wasn't going to mess up.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

7d Austin Theiss,40 Scooter Manchester, 5r Ryan Doyon, 25 Robbie Starnes, 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 7 Rhett Starnes, 12 Kody Hardage, 99x Craig Oakes, 53x Matt Fox, 29 Jamie Campbell, 99 Frank Okruhlik, 24 Robby Minten, 7x Rory Jordan, 57 Jason Kelly, 5 Ryan McDonald, 78 Eddy Hardage, 77 Mark Taylor, 7dd David Theiss, 23 Michael Keylich, 3 Ray Doyon III---dns, 26 Donald Lehman---dns, 5dd DJ Schroat---dns

Dinsmore Dialed In, Whitmire Wins War

It was now time to determine the Royal Rumble champion in the IMCA Modified main. With Chris Morris not in attendance it was down to three drivers, all with clear ideas of what needed to be done to secure the title belt.

The race sailed by going green to checkers on the blackened off track. Logan Dinsmore drew the pole and took advantage of the starting spot jumping out front as three wide for second sorted out to Tanner Whitmire, Dillon Tindall and Ryan Doyon with Landon Bednarz fifth. Johnny Torres, in a borrowed ride, moved past Bednarz for fifth, then Doyon for fourth.

Coming to halfway it was Dinsmore maintaining his advantage over Whitmire, Tindall, Torres and Doyon. Dinsmore was now hitting traffic, but only missed a beat once as the laps waned. Dinsmore(Kerrville) in the Sundowner Performance Diesel, Lowery Plumbing, Stealth Suspension & Engineering, JC Auto Body & Paint, Royals Automotive, Fast Shafts, Swenson Racing Shocks, Wehrs Machine, Carquest of Kerrville, Jimmys Towing, Heartland Auto Body, Mark Pivarnik, Releaf 4 Troops, crate powered, Assault by Dinsmore Chassis easily took the checkers.

827689138_JMH_1802(800x534)(2).jpg.96b156ba8b7c811a3ae3593c15efbbad.jpg

I'll probably give dad his sponsored money back, or go to Whataburger,” joked Dinsmore. “I knew I had to win it to have a chance at the series title. Unless they had problems or made a big mistake I didn't think I was going to be able to get it. I was more focused on the win, I guess.”

I was grinning ear to ear when the track went dry slick. I liked it. Dad text me about nine or ten messages in a row on what to do with the car after the heat race. It was basically repeating what we do every week. It finally paid off. I haven't drawn good at all lately either. This was nice to start up front!”

A lot of these guys have respect and won't rough you up. I've raced with most of these guys for a couple years now. You give them their space and they'll give you the same.”

I was pretty hyped up and trying to check out of the slower traffic. I thought for sure someone was on my bumper. I can't see behind me with the hybrid I wear. Maybe I stuck my nose in places I shouldn't have a couple times.”

The plan was to bring home the belt for my youngest son Braddox because he is a WWE fanatic.” added series champion Whitmire. “I wanted the win, but the belt was more important. I knew I had enough points over (Logan)Dinsmore, so I figured I would just ride to the end hoping for a late caution where I would try to go for it. We went green to checkered and it was too late for me to do anything. Dinsmore was on a rail. I’m happy he ended his 2 year dry streak and my son Braddox is even more happy wearing the belt!

Price Chevrolet IMCA Modifieds

8jr Logan Dinsmore, 101 Tanner Whitmire, 86 Dillon Tindall, 90 Johnny Torres, 5r Ryan Doyon, 87(9m) Marcus Mikulencak, 141 Rob Sanderson, 16 Landon Bednarz, 22z Darrell Boyd, 53x Chandler Fox, 77 Robert Liese jr., 56 Gilbert Amezquita, 9m(87) Lawrence Mikulencak---dns

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 90 Johnny Torres, 5r Ryan Doyon, 96 Dillon Tindall, 9m Marcus Mikuencak, 141 Rob Sanderson, 56 Gilbert Amezquita, 22z Darrell Boyd

Heat 2

101 Tanner Whitmire, 8jr Logan Dinsmore, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 53x Chandler Fox, 16 Landon Bednarz, 77 Robert Liese jr.

Beaver Bests Limited Modifieds

In the 15-lap Limited Modified feature Trent Beaver jumped out front quickly with Tom Grothues, Ryker Hernandez side by side with Elias Anderson and Joshua Tuttle. Hernandez had trouble early stopping in turn 4 for a yellow. Beaver got away back under green with Anderson, Grothues and Tuttle three wide for second.

Grothues would fight back with Anderson coming to the midway point with Beaver, by nearly a full straightaway, Anderson, Grothues, Tuttle and Hernandez. Tuttle was able to work his way past Grothues for third, but no one had anything for Beaver. Leading by a full straight, Beaver(China Grove) easily cruised to the checkers in his Beaver Medical Group, Beaver Heating & Air Conditioning, Auburn Custom Homes, CBR Shocks, Best Race Engines, Innovative Chassis.

1666070627_JMH_1481(800x534)(2).jpg.ebaba9a5a2de955a630dac73b79925a5.jpg

I haven't been able to finish the last five or six races,” replied Beaver. “We were able to finish this one, and win. I'll take it. I'm not too concerned with someone finding a better line. I'm searching for moisture too. There was moisture up top in (turns)1-2 and the bottom in (turns) 3-4. I just kept that line.”

We were the first feature out so the Late Model rubber didn't make any difference in our set up. It had pretty much started to slick off already. I was just keeping the bottom covered, it was good. I'll take whatever conditions the track gives me.”

This is the first win of the year so far. I'll usually run here, Cotton Bowl, Corpus and some in Edna.

Swenson Racing Products Limited Modifieds

14 Trent Beaver, 87 Elias Anderson, 747 Joshua Tuttle, 11t Tom Grothues, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 166 Sherrill Lewis---dns

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 14 Trent Beaver, 11t Tom Grothues, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 87 Elias Anderson, 166 Sherrill Lewis, 747 Joshua Tuttle

Team Torres Tallies 1-2

As green waved on the 20-lap Factory Stock feature it was polesitter Trey Jones getting the early ahead of Jarrett Payton, Frank Okruhlik, Michael Keylich and Allen Torres. Johnny Torres went up top and around his brother Allen and M. Keylich on lap 1. Staying on the high side, J. Torres then picked off Okruhlik and Payton for second.

Wasting little time J. Torres motored around Jones for the lead off turn 4 on lap 5. A. Torres followed his brother to the top taking third from Okruhlik. GW Hessong had trouble and dumped fluid down in turn 1 ending his night. The restart saw Damon Bean go around and get hung on a tractor tire. Finally back under green, A. Torres again using the high groove got third from Jones, then second from Payton

At the crossed flags it was J. Torres, A. Torres, Jones, Payton and Okruhlik in the top five. A multi-car tangle in turn 4 slowed the pace again. A. Torres showed his brother some love as they rolled under caution and as green waved J. Torres was quickly away with Payton, Okruhlik and Nathan Oakes three wide for fourth until Oakes looped it for a lap 13 yellow.

As the Torres' took off under green, Okruhlik was looking low on Jones for third. J. Torres was able to start gapping his brother and as the white waved he had built a half straight edge on A. Torres. J. Torres(San Antonio) easily took the checkers in the Scott Ball Racing, Allens 24/7 Towing, Swenson Racing Shocks, Difs by Darrel, raceontexas.com, Sundowner Performance Diesel, F-Bomb Diesel, All in Designs, 8T1 Construction, Mission Race Engines, Enslin Chassis.

392979300_JMH_1734(800x534)(2).jpg.4416e9eb3101c67ca864d26c7778f98a.jpg

I didn't want to be up top,” exclaimed Torres who normally catfishes the bottom. “But there was a lot of moisture up there. It was too good to pass up. I figured I wasn't going to get around on the bottom in the Factory Stock. So I may as well just try the top.”

I normally try to get a good enough run in the turn that they don't have a chance to move up in front of me. Most of the drivers here are clean, but I try to set them up with a big run that they can't close the door.”

I don't really like driving my car that hard on top. I knew someone was back there beating on my rear bumper under yellow, but didn't know it was Allen. I was about to tell them they were number 1! They were getting a little antsy, but I started the same place every time. With all those restarts I thought for sure Allen would try a 'Hail Mary' on the bottom.”

I really just went where they weren't. Since I was racing two cars I really didn't get a chance to look at the track. I just pulled up and it worked. I just did what Stevie(Whiteaker) told me to do with Dustin(Butcher) Modified. Dustin has softball for several races so I get to run it. I'd like to be in a Modified, but the budget doesn't allow it.”

All in Design Factory Stocks

66 Johnny Torres, 94 Allen Torres, 11Trey Jones, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 18s Jarrett Payton, 53k Kasey Krauss, 44k Michael Keylich, 15L Daniel Lopez, 00 Zach Freeman, 21 Nathan Oakes, 92r Robert Keylich, 10 Damon Bean, 7 Johnny Walker Brown, 44 Austin Bean, 39 Makayla Tremble, 24 Paul Reyes, 35 GW Hessong, 14t Trey Heald, 9 Levi Hernandez---dns, 20 Mike Lyon---dns, 22 Nick Izzi---dns, 001 Leslie Lazrine---dns, 36 Cris White---dns

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 15L Daniel Lopez, 21 Nathan Oakes, 44k Michael Keylich, 92r Robert Keylich, 001 Leslie Lazrine, 10 Damon Bean, 36 Cris White, 22 Nick Izzi

Heat 2; 66 Johnny Torres, 11 Trey Jones, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 24 Paul Reyes, 35 GW Hessong, 00 Zach Freeman, 7 Johnny Walker, 14t Trey Heald

Heat 3; 94 Allen Torres, 53k Kasey Krauss, 16s Jarrett Payton, 39 Makayla Tremble, 44 Austin Bean, 9 Levi Hernandez, 20 Mike Lyon

Sitterle Sweeps Sport Compacts

A lucky 13-cars took the green for the Sport Compact feature with James Gottsch getting the early lead chased by Justin Sitterle, John Thomas, Robert Kelm and Brandon McCall. Sitterle took over the lead coming to lap 2 with McCall going by J. Gottsch, Kelm and Thomas. McCall gave Sitterle a look low and got along side for the lead while Kelm, Josh Jones and J. Gottsch were three wide for third.

Kelm finally secured the spot with Rod Tait moving up to fifth. Tait's run to the front ended in lapped traffic when he got pushed up into the front stretch wall for a lap 9 caution. On the restart Kelm and McCall swapped second while Sitterle eased away. At the crossed flags it was Sitterle, McCall, Kelm, Jones and J. Gottsch.

A lap 13 caution saw Donald Kinnaman and Thomas tangle in turn 4. Again Kelm and McCall swapped second as Sitterle got away and Cody Crabb moved up to fifth. Sam Walker had engine trouble and rolled to a stop on lap 16 for the final yellow. Sitterle(Floresville) was able to get away clean and motor on the win unchallenged in his Honda Mikes, Custom Tattoos by Andy

1758489238_JMH_1677(800x534)(2).jpg.3cfea6516df9cbe641289d3c0a538577.jpg

I'd like to thank the track for all their hard work,” said Sitterle.Plus, the fans for coming out and supporting the track in this heat. Thanks to Iron Horse RV for the class support, Honda Mike for keeping me on the track, Custom Tattoos by Andy for all his help.”

Iron Horse RV Sport Compacts

88 Justin Sitterle, 51 Brandon McCall, 8k Robert Kelm,00 Cody Crabb, 11j Josh Jones, 9t John Thomas, 8 James Gottsch, 39 Donald Kinnaman, 43 Jennifer Kidd, 88x Hadley Johnson, 8j Andreah Gottsch , 3% Sam Walker, 70 Rod Tait, 825 Justin Van Winkle---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 88 Justin Sitterle, 11j Josh Jones, 70 Rod Tait, 3% Sam Walker, 8 James Gottsch, 43 Jennifer Kidd, 625 Justin Van Winkle

Heat 2; 8k Robert Kelm, 51 Brandon McCall, 00 Cody Crabb, 9t John Thomas, 83 Donald Kinnaman, 8j Andreah Gottsch, 88x Hadley Johnson

Go-Kart Features

Adult Predator; John Hartofilax, Blaine Markgraf, Charles Flanagan, Cody Clegg, Jarrett Payton

Senior Division; Tripp Whitmire, Beau Payton, Lane Tuttle, Cecilii Johnson

Junior Division; Woody Powell, Kate Brzozowski