Limited Modifieds $1,000 to win, Late Models @ I-37 Speedway

Limited Modifieds $1,000 to win, Late Models @ I-37 Speedway

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(April 1st, 2023) No Foolin'. But Mother Nature was, as a brief shower during the heat races stopped the action, but racing resumed after an approximate 45 minute delay.

The local Late Models returned to kick off their season on the semi-banked, ¼ mile, dirt oval just outside of Pleasanton. Last year Brandon Brzozowski pretty much ruled the roost and took home the track championship with Kody Hardage second and Andrew Hesler third.

For Limited Modifieds, it was $1,000 to win sponsored by ODS On Demand Shirts. Hopefully after the hard, grinding crash in last weeks feature everyone has their car back together and ready to possibly grab some added bucks.

Also in action were the IMCA Modifieds where the father-son Dinsmore team finished one-two last weekend. The Factory Stocks had a good three-car battle early before Johnny Torres pulled away late. The Sport Compact saw Brandon McCall and Rod Tait stage a 20-lap long scrap for the lead, at times, going three wide in traffic. McCall was able to hold off Tait for the win.

Doyon Grabs Late Model Dollars

Ryan Doyon got a good launch off turn 4 at the start of the 20-lap Late Model feature to lead trailed by Rory Jordan, Edward Oakes, Barry Quade and Jamie Campbell. Quade was able to pick off Oakes for third, while Ray Doyon got past Campbell for fifth. By lap 5 Jordan had cut Ry. Doyons lead in half.

Coming to the midway point the lead duo was in traffic with Ry. Doyon, Jordan, Oakes, Ra. Doyon and Campbell in the top five as Quade slowed and stopped for a yellow. On the restart Ra. Doyon got by Jordan for second with Campbell and Oakes battling for fourth.

With five to go Ry. Doyon had nearly a half straightaway lead over his dad in second. Ry. Doyon, the multi-time IMCA Modified champion, easily cruised to the checkers in his 3-D Landscaping, Alamo Truck & Accessories, Ewing Irrigation & Landscape Supply, Gunn Fleet Management Chevrolet, 4D Ranch, 89 Motorsports, Eagle crate powered, MB Custom Chassis.

37636837_JMH_8948(1024x684)(2).thumb.jpg.4536be713dbbdbc46bc7b0e119c4c73f.jpg

“I may have forgotten the decimal point when filling out the 'big plastic check,'” joked Doyon as he filled in his own info. “I wasn't too worried about anyone catching me until I started to get into traffic. I kept waiting to hear someone, but never did. I was just focused on not getting into anyone and keeping it clean.”

“Even when I hear the engine banging the chip I'm not too worried. It's a crate motor. You can only run so many rpm and don't turn them so much. I only worry about it overheating mainly.”

“Big difference between the modified and this car, it's a lot more forgiving. You can stand on them a little more than the modified. Running the IMCA Modified race first I learned about the track and saw what the track was doing. Where it was going to dry up, and where it would keep moisture.”

“Just knowing the track conditions and having so many laps out here kind of feels like a home field advantage somewhat. Just having more laps than the other guys helps me feel comfortable. I don't have to think as much about what the car or track is doing, I just react.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

5r Ryan Doyon, 3 Ray Doyon, 7x Rory Jordan, 199 Edward Oakes, 29 Jamie Campbell, 5 Ryan McDonald, 77 Mark Taylor, 4 Newton Barta, 19 Barry Quade, 24r Robby Minten, 57 Jason Kelly, 99 Frank Okruhlik

Late Model heats

Heat 1; 5r Ryan Doyon, 7x Rory Jordan, 3 Ray Doyon, 99 Frank Okruhlik, 5 Ryan McDonald, 24r Robby Minten

Heat 2; 19 Barry Quade, 199 Edward Oakes, 29 Jamie Campbell, 77 Mark Taylor, 4 Newton Barta, 57 Jason Kelly

Maupin on the Move

It was guaranteed a different winner in the 15-lap IMCA Modified main as last weeks winner, Greg Dinsmore, was sidelined with oil pressure issues after hot laps. At the start it was the veteran, Lawrence Mikulencak, grabbing the lead ahead of Jared Maupin, Ryan Doyon, Logan Dinsmore and Darrel Boyd.

Maupin and Mikulencak were side by side on lap 1 before Mikulencak inched ahead. Maupin could into turns 1-2 lower and show Mikulencak the nose, but Mikulencak could pull him off turn 2 and hold the line in (turns) 3-4. By halfway Mikulencak had eased away from Maupin, Doyon, Dinsmore and Boyd.

Mikulencak's run out front ended on lap 9 when he broke and spit out the driveshaft out handing the lead to Maupin. On the restart Doyon and Dinsmore swapped second giving Maupin a little breathing room. Doyon had closed back on Maupin when a debris yellow slowed the pace.

Maupin got away on green while Doyon and Dinsmore again swapped second with Dinsmore finally securing the spot. By now Maupin had built enough advantage to take the win in his Ricky Long owned, Mark Herring Race Engines powered, Kraft Chassis.

1177709646_JMH_9068(1024x684)(2).jpg.6a748d9b8e90af5d11b4e866628bcbda.jpg

Price Chevrolet IMCA Modifieds

91 Jared Maupin, 8jr Logan Dinsmore, 5r Ryan Doyon, 22z Darrell Boyd, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 8g Greg Dinsmore---dns, 488 Stephen Boubel---dns

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 5r Ryan Doyon, 8jr Logan Dinsmore, 91 Jared Maupin, 22z Darrell Boyd, 488 Stephen Boubel, 8g Greg Dinsmore---dns

Money to Mikulencak in Limited Modifieds

Thirteen cars started the $1,000 to win Limited Modified feature, sponsored by ODS On Demand Shirts. Trent Beaver jumped out front on lap 1 chased by Marcus Mikulencak, Cody Beddoe, Gilbert Perez and Joe Aramendia, who would loop it for an early caution.

After a couple tries, with Mikulencak and Beddoe slugging it out for second, Beaver had trouble and rolled to a stop in turn 2 putting Mikulencak out front. Back to green Beddoe, Perez and Jared Maupin were three wide for second. As that sorted out Nathan Titzman and James Cole got past Maupin for fourth and fifth.

Perez' top five run ended on lap 7 when he stopped in turn 1. As racing resumed coming to the crossed flags it was Mikulencak, Beddoe, Titzman, Cole and Maupin in the top five. The second half saw the field spread out as Mikulencak pulled away to a straightaway advantage taking home the win in his On Demand Shirts, Aramendia Motorsports, Ace Transmission, Premier Minerals, Vinco Plumbing, Southbound & Down, RPM Equipment, Mattress Firm, All in Designs, Flanagans Muffler shop, Mark Herring Race Engines, IRP Chassis.

1311388025_JMH_9122(1024x684)(2).jpg.47b0b6c3dae547ff12145788c42eaa65.jpg

“This is a good way to start the season,” commented Mikulencak. “We ran in corpus last week and got a tire cut down on the first lap. This is a good way to rebound.”

“The plan was just survive. Pretty early on we had gotten towards the front already. After that it was kind of calculate and proceed. Once I got up there we were about three wide when Trent(Beaver) motor let go. The main thing was not get in the oil and wipe out race cars.”

“Overall the three cars, mine, Joe(Aramendia) and James(Cole), are about the same baseline. There are some small tweaks here and there. Otherwise they're pretty much identical.”

“You can throw a blanket over a lot these guys out. Joe was trying to push me out of his way in the heat. Cody(Beddoe) is always fast, (Jared) Maupin is out there and he's always a rocket. So there's quite a few you have in the back of your mind on who's coming and wonder who's going to try to roll under you the next corner.

“After the rain we freed the car a little bit. It may have hurt me a little bit. I don't think the track quite as sticky as I thought it would be. It turned out to be pretty hammer down and rolled in well.

Swenson Racing Products Limited Modifieds

879 Marcus Mikulencak, 77 Cody Beddoe, 1t Nathan Titzman, 14c James Cole, 91 Jared Maupin, 73 Derrick Gonzales, 79 Joe Aramendia, bd2 Daniel Preston, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 48 Chris Swenson, bd1 Gilbert Perez III, 14 Trent Beaver, 95s Sterling Tausch, 11t Tom Grothues---dns

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 91 Jared Maupin, 1t Nathan Titzman, 14c James Cole, 48 Chris Swenson, 95s Sterling Tausch, bd2 Daniel Preston, 11t Tom Grothues---dns

Heat 2; 14 Trent Beaver, 879 Marcus Mikulencak, 79 Joe Aramendia, bd1 Gilbert Perez III, 77 Cody Beddoe, 73 Derrick Gonzales, 55 Ryker Hernandez

Dinsmore Dashes to Factory Feature Win

It was polesitter Cameron Dinsmore getting into turn 1 first at the start of the scheduled 20-lap Factory Stock feature with Frank Okruhlik, Daniel Lopez, Zach Freeman and Mike Lyon in the top five. Hunter Peterson joined in going three wide with Freeman and Lyon. Dinsmore and Okruhlik began to check out while Freeman and Peterson got by Lopez for position.

An infield tire brought out the first yellow that saw Dinsmore get away as Okruhlik and Lyon stayed door to door for second. Just as Lyon got the spot, Peterson went around collecting Joshua Sewell, Nathan Oakes and Freeman. Back green with Dinsmore still holding point, Okruhlik and Lyon back at it again going side by side for second.

At halfway it was Dinsmore, Okruhlik, Lyon, Kasey Krauss and Sewell now in the top five. A debris caution slowed the pace that saw a stack up in the pack coming to green. Sewell tried the top on the restart and got alongside Lyon for third as Dinsmore and Okruhlik got away.

A lap 11 spin by Damon Bean brought out a quick yellow with the race now cut on time limit to 15-laps. Okruhlik hung on Dinsmore's bumper waiting for him to make a mistake. Occasionally Dinsmore would drift up a little off turn 4 but Okruhlik couldn't capitalize on the opening.

Just when it looked like Dinsmore would grab the checkers, a section of tailpipe under the flagstand brought out a caution. This set up a green, white, checker finish. Dinsmore got a good jump off turn 4 with Sewell going back up top and getting a run on Okruhlik. Coming to the checkers it the young Dinsmore in his Sundowner Performance Diesel, Allens 24/7 Towing, Good Ol Days Garage, Lowery Plumbing, DB Insurance Services LLC, Milk River Media, ReLeaf for Troops, Twisted Tea by Johnny Torres, Swenson Racing Shocks, Monty Chamberlain Motorsports, Heartland Auto Body, Reflective Wrecker, 29 Racing, in-house powered, Wild Child Chassis taking his Factory Stock feature win.

37210452_JMH_8991(1024x684)(2).jpg.9492537dea8b3acc5ac2b4b3f71c6916.jpg

“I couldn't let Logan out do me, I always have to beat him” replied Dinsmore. “I felt a couple bumper shots in the turns. After a couple laps I got the car rolling out to a car length or two. I just settled in, until the cautions came out. I felt like that's when they'd show their nose, like Frank(Okruhlik) did.”

“Towards the end of the race it started pushing. I couldn't get the car underneath me a couple times in turn 4 and gave him an opening on the bottom. I just had to try to find a line to hold and protect the bottom as much as possible.”

“I was nervous! I hate starting on the pole. I could see my dad waving his hands, but I couldn't tell what he was trying to tell me. Once he looked like he telling me go to to the top, the next, the bottom. It was pretty much a bottom track, but coming off(the turns) there was some moisture on the high side.”

“After the rain we made some changes. Took some fuel out of it, but kept the same air pressures we ran in the heat. Dad makes 100% of the changes on the car. I can't make a decision without his approval. That's a good thing.”

All in Design Factory Stocks

8c Cameron Dinsmore, 38 Joshua Sewell, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 53k Kasey Krauss, 20 Mike Lyon, 21 Nathan Oakes, 44k Michael Keylich, 10 Scott Jerkins, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 7 Johnny Brown, 18s Jarrett Payton, 15L Daniel Lopez, 44 Damon Bean, 92r Robert Keylich, 34h Hunter Peterson, 00 Zach Freeman, 94 Allen Torres---dns

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 94 Allen Torres, 53k Kasey Krauss, 20 Mike Lyon, 15L Daniel Lopez, 44 Damon Bean, 44k Michael Keylich, 7 Johnny Brown, 18 Kyle Kirkland

Heat 2; 41 Frank Okruhlik, 21Nathan Oakes, 34h Hunter Peterson, 00 Zach Freeman, 38 Joshua Sewell, 18s Jarrett Payton, 92r Robert Keylich, 10 Scott Jerkins

McCall Motors to Compact Money Again

At the start of the 15-lap Sport Compact feature Levi Hernandez got a good jump leading the field into turn 1. But Brandon McCall got a huge run down the back stretch to grab the lead in turns 3-4. At the line it was McCall, Hernandez, Rod Tait, Justin Sitterle and Josh Jones in the top five.

Hernandez began to give up spots to Tait, Sitterle and Jones with Sam Walker moving to fifth. As McCall pulled away Donald Lewis and Walker battled for fifth near halfway. McCall only had traffic to negotiate and on the final lap had a “just send it” moment as he dodged a slower car, and jumped an infield tire coming to the checkers in his William Saunders, Freddie Harris Sand & Clay, Bettis RV Storage, Backyard Kitchen, 2005 Pontiac Sunfire.

527805045_JMH_9057(1024x684)(2).jpg.56bd8f70a3274fa4507078567a02c64a.jpg

“Two for two,” exclaimed McCall. “They couldn't get me off the bottom again tonight. Things just opened up on the start. I stood on the gas, it bit hard and I said 'we're going to the front boys.'”

“I'm always looking over my shoulder. I'm turning my head trying to listen for other guys coming and see if anyone is coming. But I'm so focused on trying to hit my marks, I try not to look too much.”

“Ya, that last lap was interesting. I saw that pink car head from the top to the bottom. All I saw was tires. I wasn't going to hit him, so I took the (infield)tires instead. I don't think we get any extra style points for jumping tires though.”

Iron Horse RV Sport Compacts

14 Brandon McCall. 70 Rod Tait, 88 Justin Sitterle, 11j Josh Jones, 3% Sam Walker, 28 Levi Hernandez, 76y Donald Lewis, 32 Joshua Garcia, 8 James Goetsch

Sport Compact heat

Heat 1; 28 Levi Hernandez, 88 Justin Sitterle, 14 Brandon McCall, 76y Donald Lewis, 70 Rod Tait, 8 James Goetsch, 11j Josh Jones, 32 Joshua Garcia, 3% Sam Walker

Edited by rebelracewriter