Spring Green, Season Opener, Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational Qualifier, Texas Dirt Truck Series @ I-37 Speedway 3/25/23

Spring Green, Season Opener, Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational Qualifier, Texas Dirt Truck Series @ I-37 Speedway 3/25/23

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(March 25th, 2023) And so it begins.

I-37 Speedway, after a “proposed” opening night rain out last week, raised the curtain on the new season with a host of racing on the nights agenda.

The IMCA Modified, thanks to Sundowner Performance Diesel, had a $1,000 to win Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational Qualifier. The Texas Dirt Truck Series also kicked off its season on the ¼ mile, semi-banked dirt oval and the Go-Karts started off their year on the infield track.

After an open practice Friday night it was time to see who could take the first step towards the 2023 championship. Would it be one of last years champions, like Jared Maupin who took home Factory Stock and Texas Dirt Truck Series honors. Ryan Doyon(back to back in IMCA Modifieds), Sterling Tausch(back to back in Limited Modifieds) or Ryker Hernandez(Sport Compacts). Brandon Brzozowski(Late Models) off tonight.

Also in action were the Limited Modifieds and Factory Stocks.

Dinsmores Dash to 1-2 Finish

As the IMCA Modified feature roared to life it was Logan Dinsmore taking a look low on his dad, Greg for the lead off turn 2. G. Dinsmore held him off with L. Dinsmore, Ryan Doyon, Robert Liese and Lawrence Mikulencak in the top five. Gilbert Amezquita looped it to bring out a quick yellow on lap 1.

Once back to green, Doyon was able to grab second from L. Dismore while Landon Bednarz worked his way by Liese for fourth. Mikulencak then put Liese back to fifth as the 20-lapper reached halfway with G. Dinsmore inching away, Doyon, L. Dinsmore, Bednarz and Milulencak in the top five.

Darrel Boyd went around between 3-4 to bring out a lap 14 caution. G. Dinsmore got a good launch on green while Doyon and L. Dinsmore stayed wheel to wheel for second. L. Dinsmore used the middle groove to get second back from Doyon, but his dad had already checked out.

Coming to the white flag G. Dinsmore had built over a half straightaway margin to take the checkers in the Sundowner Performance Diesel, Jimmys Towing, Wehrs, Peak, Swenson Racing Shocks, BMS, Neuline Pull Bars by 915, Friesen crate powered Stealth Chassis.

1275319697_JMH_8809(1024x684)(2).thumb.jpg.cfeade7f9108a9fa19284e188a2cdd78.jpg

“Finally, we have this car figured out,” exclaimed Dinsmore. “We raced it a couple times last year. It was quick, but we had some problems we had to work out. It's really coming around. Starting on the pole didn't hurt. We had a good run in the heat, Steph got me a good redraw. I was winded about halfway through, I don't know if I could have made it through traffic.”

“It was awesome finishing 1-2 with Logan. I told him, if you stick your nose under me, we're going to race. I saw his nose on the start, and thought, alright you little….. I kind of moved up so I didn't close the door on him. I just knew one of these young guys out here was going to pass me. I was so proud he got second. He's been struggling with his car too. I think we're both good.

“I thought about going down in (turns) 1-2. I'd just have to go in, park, turn and go. This car just hates the ruts. It was a rough ride. That rut was where the bite was though. If you hit it just right it would launch you. Sometimes you find good from a rut, others you just bounce off the seat and hang on.”

“It was funny to win back the extra money I put up. It's like you didn't lose, just got it all back. We sponsored, we gave, we got it back.”

Price Chevrolet IMCA Modifieds

8g Greg Dinsmore, 8jr Logan Dinsmore, 5r Ryan Doyon, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 16 Landon Bednarz, 77 Robert Liese jr. 26d Cody Duke, 22 Darrel Boyd, 56 Gilbert Amezquita, 91 Jared Maupin---dntg, 488 Steven Boubel---dntg

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 8g Greg Dinsmore, 8jr Logan Dinsmore, 16 Landon Bednarz, 77 Robert Liese jr., 22 Darrel Boyd, 56 Gilbert Amezquita--dns

Heat 2; 91 Jared Maupin, 5r Ryan Doyon, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 26 Cody Duke, 488 Steven Boubel---dns

Maupin Scores Texas Truck Tally

As the field of Texas Dirt Trucks took the green, Jared Maupin got a good run off turn 4 to beat the field into turn 1 chased by Lightning McGreen, Jarrett Barber, Donald Mick and Aaron Leddy. Several spins chopped up the early stages of the 20-lap event. Barber was able to get second from McGreen while Leddy moved up past Mick as positions shuffled on restarts.

The race was red flagged on lap 6 when a spin by Larry Baggett collecting Buster Deen, Colton Borlace and Adam Tracy blocked the track in turn 2. AJ Wernette made a charge up to the top five before slipping up and losing spots. At the crossed flags it was Maupin, Barber, McGreen, Wernette and Mick in the top five.

Mick then passed Wernette and McGreen for third before McGreen stopped on the back stretch track edge. Through it all, Maupin and Barber were always able to ease away on restarts while L. Baggett made his way back to the front. L. Baggett's charge ended with a flat right rear almost taking out his wife, Shawna, as he tried to make the infield.

Up front it was going to come down to Maupin and Barber, while Wernette and McGreen had their own battle for third. Maupin went mistake free the final laps while Barber gave it a try up top in no mans land. At the checkers Maupin, the defending champ, took the win in the Jamie Fuller owned, JGR Fab, ODS Shirts, Swenson Racing Shocks, Reflective Wrecker, CNC Graphics, Best Race Engines, home built chassis.

“No, I couldn't get a Sport Compact ride, laughed Maupin who ran in four classes. “I liked the Sport Compact featurewas right in the middle though. It gave me time to get a breather.”

“I was a little tight getting in, free coming off in the truck. I was just kind of tip-toeing in and knew it was one lane on the bottom. I knew if I didn't mess up big enough to open the door for Jarrett(Barber) I thought I could hold him off.”

“In the Factory Stock race I got by Allen(once) but the yellow came out. He knew I was there and was really hugging the bottom. He got in a little hot, about half spun, slowed down and I just ate his left rear(tire). He and I are pretty tight. We talk all week, I don't think there will be any hard feelings.”

“The Modified I think I broke a left rear shock and the lower with it. It sucked the rear end up and it wouldn't move.

Texas Dirt Truck Series

91 Jared Maupin, 19 Jarrett Barber, 6 AJ Wernette, 95 Lightning McGreen, 96 Donald Mick, 29 Josh Minor, 087 Adam Tracy, 3c Shawna Baggett, 3 Larry Baggett, 81 Tony Bernal, 9 Pete Arce, 93 Aaron Leddy, 00 Buster Deen, 693 Colton Borlace, 28 Russ Parker, 4 Treyler Caulfield---dntg, 17 Landon Sowder---dns

TDTS heats

Heat 1; 91 Jared Maupin, 95 Lightning McGreen, 4 Treyler Caulfield, 00 Buster Deen, 93 Aaron Leddy, 3 Larry Baggett, 28 Russ Parker, 693 Colton Borlace, 17 Landon Sowder

Heat 2; 96 Donald Mick, 19 Jarrett Barber, 29 Josh Minor, 81 Tony Bernal, 087 Adam Tracy, 9 Pete Arce, 3c Shawna Baggett, 6 AJ Wernette

Maupin Takes the Money, Take 2

As the Limited Modified field took the green Allen Alexander was first to turn 1. Jared Maupin ducked inside Alexander off turn 4 with the two side by side at the line trailed by Trent Beaver, Joe Aramendia and Sterling Tausch. Maupin was able secure lead on lap 2 with Beaver getting second and Aramendia following along to third.

As Maupin began to pull away, Aramendia got past Beaver for second. Tausch half spun collecting Tom Grothues, but both continued without yellow. At the midway point it was Maupin, Aramendia, Beaver, Alexander and Tausch in the top five. Just as it looked like the 20-lapper would go green to checkers, Tausch had an issue on the turn 2 hill for a lap 15 caution.

On that restart Aramendia and Beaver made contact with Beaver jumping a tire and shooting into the wall hard. Beaver ricocheted off the wall getting drilled by Alexander, collecting Grothues and Tausch to bring out a red flag. All drivers were alright, but Beaver, Alexander and Grothues were done.

With the race now reduced to a green, white, checkered finish Maupin got away from Aramendia on the restart and cruised to his second victory of the night in the Lone Star Doors, RNM Install, JGR Fab, All in Designs, Fat Cat Boats, Alta Vida Tezcal, AC Beer & Wine, ODS Shirts, Mission Race Engine, Express Chassis.

“The car was good,” said Maupin. “It was one lane on the bottom so I was trying to protect the line. I was driving extra hard since I couldn't see any of my spotters. I couldn't tell if they were right on me, so I just kept digging. Car was good, I'm really happy with it.”

Swenson Racing Products Limited Modifieds

91 Jared Maupin, 79 Joe Aramendia, 95s Sterling Tausch, 55r Ryker Hernandez, 14 Trent Beaver, 99 Allen Alexander, 11t Tom Grothues

Limited Modified heat

Heat 1; 91 Jared Maupin, 99 Allen Alexander, 79 Joe Aramendia, 14 Trent Beaver, 11t Tom Grothues, 95s Sterling Tausch, 55 Ryker Hernandez

Torres Tops in Factory Stock Thriller

The 20-lap Factory Stock feature got off to a rocky start when the front of the outside row started a chain reaction that saw a half dozen cars wadded up in turns 1-2. This rearranged the line up for the restart. It was three wide for the lead in turn 1 between Kasey Krauss, Johnny Torres and Allen Torres.

J. Torres was able to lead at the line by mere inches as Krauss, A. Torres, Jarrett Payton and Kyle Kirkland sorted out. A. Torres gave his brother a look low for the early while Jared Maupin moved up to fourth. Things calmed down with J. Torres beginning to put some distance on his brother.

At halfway it was J. Torres, A. Torres, Krauss, Maupin and Payton in the top five. A Johnny Brown spin on lap 11 set up a restart that saw Maupin get third from Krauss and begin pressuring A. Torres for second. The two made contact in turn 3 cutting down the tire on A. Torres and tearing the front end up on Maupin, ending both their nights.

J. Torres got a good jump going back to green and began to ease away. As the white flag waved J. Torres had about a half straightaway on Krauss going unchallenged to the checkers in his Scott Ball Racing, Allens 24/7 Towing, Swenson Racing Shocks, ifs by Darrel, raceontexas.com, Sundowner Performance Diesel, F-Bomb Diesel, All in Designs, 8T1 Construction, Mission Race Engines, Enslin Chassis.

“It was a long race,” joked Torres. “I was thinking about carrying some snacks in the car after tonight. It took a long time. Them moving up the outside two rows, (after the wreck), helped out. I was kind of looking forward to all of us starting farther back and working through traffic together. It helped up miss some of the carnage easier.”

“Allen and I have no rules, we race race each other like it's anyone else. Although I was actually thinking on a restart, knowing he was in second, would he actually dump me to win a race?”

“I figured as good as the car was on the bottom, if I just kept around the tires anyone would have a tough time getting around me.”

All in Design Factory Stocks

66 Johnny Torres, 53k Kasey Krauss, 18s Jarrett Payton, 15L Daniel Lopez, 92r Robert Keylich, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 10 Scott, Jerkins, 7 Johnny Brown, 416 Lance Chacon, 34h Hunter Peterson, 11x Brian Harbison, 94 Allen Torres, 91 Jared Maupin, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 44k Michael Keylich, 00 Zach Freeman, 8c Cameron Dinsmore---dns

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 16s Jarrett Payton, 34h Hunter Peterson, 00 Zach Freeman, 53k Kasey Krauss, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 44k Michael Keylich, 416 Lance Chacon, 7 Johnny Brown, 8c Cameron Dinsmore

Heat 2; 66 Johnny Torres, 91 Jared Maupin, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 94 Allen Torres, 11x Brain Harbison, 92r Robert Keylich, 15L Daniel Lopez, 10 Scott Jerkins

McCall Marches to Sport Compact Money

As green waved on the Sport Compact feature Brandon McCall and Rod Tait stayed side by side through turns 1-2. On the back stretch John Thomas and Levi Hernandez made contact with Thomas losing a wheel, bringing about a complete restart.

On the second try, McCall got a jump on Tait beating him into turn 1 for the lead. Shaun Tracy, Ryker Hernandez and Joshua Garcia fell in line until Garcia spun and collected Justin Sitterle for a lap 2 yellow. On the restart Tracy looked low on Tait for second as McCall got briefly away.

R. Hernandez picked off Tracy for third as Tait reeled McCall back in. By lap 5 they were nose to tail for the top spot with a good gap to R. Hernandez. The lead duo then split a lapped car going three wide. At halfway it was McCall, Tait, R. Hernandez, Donald Lewis and Tracy in the top five.

As the lead battle continued, R. Hernandez slowed closed the gap with a car length separating the trio with two to go. R. Hernandez then had his engine start to lay down, and faded. Tait tried the high side on the final lap to no avail as McCall in his William Saunders, Freddie Harris Sand & Clay, Bettis RV Storage, Backyard Kitchen, 2005 Pontiac Sunfire took the checkers.

“Pretty Good night,” replied McCall. “New car that we hot lapped a few times last season. Came out and got the “W” tonight in both the heat race and feature.”

“I kind of set Rod(Tait) up a little bit. He showed his cards early in the race. He wanted the inside and I took it away from him on that second restart. He was going to have to push me off the bottom to get there.”

“About all we can adjust on these between the heat and feature is adjust the tire pressure, maybe a spring rubber. For the track tonight I just aired up the right front a little more. Let it dig.

Iron Horse RV Sport Compacts

14 Brandon McCall, 70 Rod Rait, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 76y Donald Lewis, 21t Shaun Tracy, 32 Joshua Garcia, 3% Sam Walker, 88 Justin, Sitterle, 9t John Thomas, 28 Levi Hernandez, 33 Jamie Garner---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 14 Brandon McCall, 32 Joshua Garcia, 21t Shaun Tracy, 33 Jamie Garner, 9t John Thomas, 3% Sam Walker

Heat 2; 70 Rod Tait, 55r Ryker Hernandez, 88 Justin Sitterle, 76y Donald Lewis,28 Levi Hernandez

Go-Karts

Adult Predator; Charles Flanagan, Blaine Markgraf, Mark Espinosa, David Berrera, Cody Clegg

Senior Division; Beau Payton, Cecilia Johnson

Junior Division; Ryder Welker, Cheston Markgraf, Tucker Kempe

Youth Division; Fast Eddy

Edited by rebelracewriter