Two Old Pics

txtom

Need some help here.

Mel Krauss got these pics from his father's collection, but we don't know who is in these cars.

According to Mel, these are taken at the first Pan- American on Austin Highway.

Any help in ID'ing them is appreciated.

post-30-1118806470_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have an old friend who did a little racing at Playland in Houston in the late 40's. I let him know about this forum and he took a quick look and really enjoyed the pictures and comments. He said might jump in later with some of his own. He did have a comment he related to me about the picture above, which I have copied here...

"Thanks. I'll dig in when I have more time. I did see where there was an error on one picture where they said that the #7 Offy was Buddy Rackley. It was Doc Cossey. O. F. Bright was the owner. I believe it was in 1948 that Doc bought his own Offy and it was #8. You can tell by the weight difference. Cossey was heavy and Rackley was thin like in the other picture of him with #76 on the starting line. I don't believe that was Cecil Green in the other car. He had #1 at the time and was driving a solid black Offy owned by John Zink. I could probably provide some other comments later."

We would love to have your friend on this forum. I wish we had more photos from that era too.

We'll take all the help we can get. Identifying drivers from that era becomes problematic because they tended to move around alot from car to car. Typically the owner and the driver were not the same person. I may have misidentified them because I have photos where Buddy is driving the 7 car and Cecil is driving the 16, so its kind of guess work, especially since I wasn't around yet or was too young during that era. :)

Archived