TMS, Help or hurt USRA

Bandit

I like TXTOM's idea, the races at TWS and in Mexico with TIDA were a blast and it changes the equation completely from just running the big oval. We ran at the TWS races a few times and the last one in Mexico with a really under budget program. It was really obvious at TWS where we could catch the lead pack on the road course then watch everyone motor away on the straight but it kept us running with them.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know it takes time and money but if you want to keep the cost down for the competitor and so on. Do what cup does and find someone to rent a portable dyno from and try to get the cars close in H.P. with different plates or something. I dunno......just a thought.

:D

Go for it dude! I bet you could find someone to sponsor that for the USRA. Maybe you could talk them into sponsoring some free wind tunnel time too.

Gotta love that entrepreneurial spirit, droppindahammer!

Nick Holt

There's always a two-edged sword when someone "auditions" in front of the racing power structure - folks like officials of the major sanctioning bodies, corporate sponsors and big-time team owners.

If the series looks good and puts on a well-organized, exciting show, then the series looks good in front of the "right" people. That alone could lead to some pretty impressive opportunities at some point down the road.

Same is true for the teams that participate. If you do well and look good, who knows where that might take you. It's highly unlikely that you'll end up in a Cup car next week, but stranger things have happened.

But the flip side is that if the series appears in a state of disarray, the show is boring, the cars seem to be moving in slow motion, etc., well, then the series looks bad in front of all the wrong people.

I have not attended any of the TMS ROMCO/USRA events, but judging from what some of you have said about it, it's pretty much a toss up. Some say it's a great show while others have been less than positive. I just wonder what sort of impression was made on the racing power structure that was present. Hopefully, it was all positive.

Nick Holt

I tried to link to last years thread in which Bob Dilner wrote an article on the 1st ROMCO race at TMS, and was unsuccessful. Maybe someone else can pull it up and link to it, I think it makes the point that a lot of us are concerned about.

how about putting a tag or something on the motor they run every race then they have to run there regular motor.but if they blow one there then they can change it.guys that havent run before,. after time trials then acess there weight. we all can see what times they are turning.

The tagging of motors would be be a possability for most teams but how could you keep track of it with others that are running races across the East coast. Some are running in Mobile, Five Flags, Nashville and Etc. Some teams have experienced blown motors away from the USRA scene. Example... you run at MIS on an off weekend and blow a motor, you change motors. How would USRA officals be able to tech consistently without unjust being done to other competitors?

I would like to see a 3/4 - 1 mile track for these cars to run on. It would display the top end speed for the drivers and fans that thrive on that and the quickness and handling that others like. Unfortunaley the tracks that are currently here are struggling enough to keep thier doors open with out finding alternative means to stay alive. (Monster Trucks, Drag Strips, Car Shows, etc)

Maybe some good questions would be....

Would USRA be open to making the TMS (oval) race a non points event with a purse? If you don't have the funds to run TMS or you feel as though it takes away from being short track series, then you don't have too.

How many drivers would come for the race if it were a NON points race with only a purse? This takes the pressure off of USRA regulars if racers show up to race from other sanctions. In particular the spoilers that finish up front and or getting caught up in a wreck caused by an outsider.

If it was a non pionts race affiliated with USRA would we be allowed to run tires other than the American Racers? This has been a hot topic since ROMCO started using American Racers.

To attract other drivers from other series to a regional event, what is a reasonable size purse to offer? J.R. Norris just won over $10,000 for his win at Nashville in the Nascar SES series and the next three took home over $5,000. The purse size should not oly be fair to the drivers but to the series and sponsors as well. I know Nascar has some cash to burn, but I am only using it as an example since they are primarily a short track series that runs a few speedway races each year.

What about teaming with another one or two series for TMS? Other sanctions have started doing it. It gives the race immediate credability with an instant car count. The other sanctions drivers get familiar with the USRA, the drivers, and the competition. Combined purse efforts could be possible.

I tried to link to last years thread in which Bob Dilner wrote an article on the 1st ROMCO race at TMS, and was unsuccessful. Maybe someone else can pull it up and link to it, I think it makes the point that a lot of us are concerned about.

http://www.51sportsracing.com/romco_texas_04.html

I had never read it before. I don't agree with his last statement and this years race was much more competitive. But this is criticism from a national reporter and out there on the internet. We should use it to improve the product.

The previous post makes some good points.

After seeing the USRA Series at TMS. I was very pleased. Was everything perfect? No. Will it EVER be perfect? Of coarse not. Will ALL race fans like the USRA series? Definately no. Will things get better? I like to think that with time and experience, it will ALWAYS get better.

With each and every visit to TMS. Event organizers, series officials and the race teams will gain experience and knowledge. Hopefully the USRA Series can build on this and make it a great and enjoyable experience for everyone involved. The searce for a level playing field and keeping cost factors under control for competitors is forever a ongoing battle for all series. USRA is not in this alone or different in what it has faced in it's early stages of organization and challenges as a introductory racing series.

Texas Motor Speedway had a very vast taste of race fans present that weekend. Some fans loved the high speed, high tech cars. While others liked the relationship they enjoyed with the trucks that looked like the ones they drive to and from work in during the week. And yet still there was those that truely appreciated and understood the importance of a racing series such as USRA. Some fans come to see pure speed. Others come to see wrecks and mayhem while they drink there case of beer. But many come to see good racing that is not always about lightning speeds. It is often the little things such as a well set up pass that took several laps to finally happen. The cat and mouse game between teams as they do battle with each other. The list goes on and on. But it was all there at TMS in the USRA Series event.

Yes, not everyone liked the USRA event. But believe it or not. Not everyone was happy with the NASCAR Craftsman Trucks, the IRL, or the IRL Pro Series event. I can tell you now. USRA is not perfect. But you should NEVER hang your head and think it was not worth the experience or the effort. With time. I feel it can and will get better. Just keep the hope and belief in this and it will have that chance.

I personnaly would like to thank you all for the show you gave to me and the fans at TMS. The sacrifices and efforts placed in just being there and completing that last lap, no matter what place you finnished in was a feat. And it will remain with you forever in your memories. This is a memory that so many others dream of having. And would sacrifice and pay dearly to have that same chance.

I look forward to seeing the series at TMS again. Hopefully you also will see the worth and the benefit in attending this event. Be it as a competitor or as a fan.

Douglas Rollo

Track Announcer

Well I guess I can say now, I have seen enough post. While in the Easy Care Motorsports booth, only a few people in there knew I race in the USRA series. I kept my mouth shut and just listened. A few of the comments I heard were "when are they going to cut the pare-chutes loose"? When there was 15 laps to go someone said, "That should take another hour and a half!" There were several similar comments but you get the idea. Most comments dealt with the speed. Someone else in the booth who is invloved with another USRA car tried to explain the restrictor plates, but they did not seem to understand why we would do that or maybe they did not care. <_< ASA tried the big tracks and it did not seem to help them. Don't get me wrong! I HOPE it HELPS the USRA, I just wanted to hear some opinions and stir some crap.

Archived