Snowball 2021

RodneyRodriguez

Whole weekend was great.   Best weather in several years I've been to the Derby.

Real nice being hour and half away in Ocean Springs MS for the last 2 yrs.    Sunday morning got to see Ronnie Sanders and Jody Ridley discussing lots of racing history in the pits.    Got to talk to Jody for a few minutes and get a pic with Deanna.    Back in the 80s, Deanna did the scoring for Jody at one of the SA All Pro shows.    He talked like we were old friends.    He was very grateful to talk about the old times and just a great guy.    We even talked about an 85 race at Jackson MS we saw when Freddy lead most of it till a yellow with about 12 to go.    Pit for tires, and Jody's Frankie Grill team beat Freddy out of the pits and won.

For anyone who hasn't been, just being at Five Flags the first weekend in December for the Derby is one of those incredible times.

Billy

Jody Ridley showed up to race a 100 lapper at Try-County Speedway in Cincinnati a couple of times, before I left for the Air Force. He won the first time, and a couple of the locals made sure he didn't win the second time. I loved that blue & white 1965 Falcon body on his #98. I was shooting some photography at the track that year, so I got to talk to Jody a little bit both times I saw him race there that year. Almost 20 years later, I bought a blue (no kidding, the same color) '65 Falcon to drive around Tucson, AZ. I brought it back to Del Rio when I moved there. I ended up selling it to an AF pilot there in D.R. He got transferred to San Antonio,  and then about a year later he got transferred back to Del Rio. He also had a 1970 Mustang Boss 302, that was just like Parnell Jones' #15 Trans Am car. He raced it in Vintage road races at tracks in TX. When he got stationed again in D.R., he sold the Falcon to a buddy, who said he was going to build it into a vintage road race car. Never heard anything else about the car, because I retired and moved to Buda. I still love that 1964-65 Falcon body style. The 1964-66 Mustangs were built on that Falcon chassis. So just about anything available for the Mustang, would work on the Falcon, and Falcons are a whole lot cheaper to buy than a Mustang from that era..