Pure Stock King of the Hill/Go-Kart Meet-n-Greet@ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 6/1/19

Pure Stock King of the Hill/Go-Kart Meet-n-Greet@ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 6/1/19

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(June, 1st, 2019) With IMCA Modifieds off this weekend it was time for the little guys to have their night in the spotlight with a Meet-n-Greet for the Go-kart kids at intermission. Normally it's the regular drivers handing out hero cards to the kids, this time it was the kids handing them out, to both big and littler kids.

Also on the nights agenda was a King of the Hill race for the Pure Stock class giving an opportunity to go one-on-one with another driver in a two lap shootout. What would the odds be that the two finalists, were the Torres brothers, Johnny and Allen for family bragging rights. Interestingly enough there were no side bets between the two.

Blaylock Blasts to Sportmod win

Coming to green in the 20-lap Sport Modified main, polesitter Trent Beaver was slow to take off scattering the field. Anthony Gordon wasn't so lucky and plowed Beaver ending his night. Beaver would be able to continue, but a constant share of lost sheet metal/debris cautions would pit him later.

Once under green it was Blaylock, making his first trip to I-37 Speedway in several years, getting the lead trailed by Talon Minten, Frank Okruhlik, Chris Swenson and Tom Grothues. Jared Maupin took fifth from Grothues then began swapping fourth with Swenson for a couple laps.

After a restart for sheet metal salvage, Johnny Torres and Maupin got past Swenson. At halfway it was Blaylock, easing away, T. Minten, Okruhlik, Maupin and Torres in the top five. A mid race caution, for more racecar parts, erased Blaylocks half straightaway lead.

Once back to green Maupin and Torres took third, fourth from Okruhlik. Torres got side by side with Maupin and got the spot then began working on T. Minten. In the meantime Blaylock was checking out again on his way to the victory in his Monster Energy, RL Walker Transport, Haul Max of Texas, KMO Music, Brandt Electrical Service, Dark Horse Racing Shocks, Robby Crabtree Motorsports, Fletcher Race Engine by Ricky Blaylock, IRP Chassis.

5cf419041b687__SRP1157(1280x848)(2).jpg.fc28e851049af7afd3ea23ffc36f69e6.jpg

“This is the first time I've been here in about three years,” replied Blaylock. “I think the last time we were here it rained out. Going by the videos I've know the track conditions are and what it's been like. I just happened to bring the right set up.”

“These ¼ mile tracks with no walls suit my driving style a little better. I don't really like tracks that are closed in all the way around. I just feel more comfortable out here.”

“Normally I might look for guys like Johnny(Torres) coming from behind. Tonight it was kind of a one lane track,so I knew they'd have to do something pretty spectacular to get around me. I wasn't going to give up the top line. I left it the back of my head that there may be some sort of slide job or Hail Mary. I was just concentrating on checking out running my own race.”

“On that start he(Trent Beaver) went, then stopped, then went again. I pulled into another lane and wasn't sure what he was doing. I got a free lane of traffic and just went for it. It was a good, fast track, but one preferred groove up on top.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

9b Brandon Blaylock, 9/2 Talon Minten, 66 Johnny Torres, bd2 Jared Maupin, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 30 Chris Swenson, 57 Rowdy Flanagan, 51 Jeremy Hernandez, bd4 Cheryl Gray, 14 Trent Beaver, 11 Tom Grothues, 24r Robby Minten, bd3 Eddy Ross, 22m Anthony Gordon, 2/9 Ray Doyon---dns

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; 9/2 Talon Minten, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 14 Trent Beaver, 22m Anthony Gordon, 30 Chris Swenson, 11 Tom Grothues, 2/9 Ray Doyon---dns

Heat 2; 66 Johnny Torres, 9b Brandon Blaylock, bd3 Eddy Ross, bd2 Jared Maupin, 57 Rowdy Flanagan, 51 Jeremy Hernandez, 24 Robby Minten, bd4 Cheryl Gray

Okruhlik Breaks Grimes Streak

The start of the Limited Late Model feature saw Ron Sprayue get out first but it was Howie Marcx getting by in turns 3-4 to lead lap 1. Sprayue, Frank Okruhlik, Tommy Grimes and Jacob Crow fell in line. After a tangle between Spratue and Crow, Okruhlik got by Marcx on the restart to lead lap 2.

Grimes followed Okruhlik past Marcx, and the chase was on. Okruhlik built almost a full straight on Grimes at halfway with a similar gap to Marcx and Jason Kelly battling for third. Grimes tried to cut the distance the last half of the race, but it was Okruhlik, in a newly purchased car out of the Henderson stable, taking the win.

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models

99f Frank Okruhlik, 22t Tommy Grimes, 13 Howie Marcx, 57 Jason Kelly, 42 Ron Sprayue, 95 Jerry Jones, 8 Jacob Crow, 6p Jeremy Hernandez---dns

Limited Late Model heat

Heat 1; 22t Tommy Grimes, 57 Jason Kelly, 99f Frank Okruhlik, 13 Howie Marcx, 8 Jacob Crow, 42 Ron Sprayue, 95 Jerry Jones, 6p Jeremy Hernandez

Gordon Golden in Street Stock Stampede

The Street Stock 20-lapper fired off with Anthony Gordon into turn 1 first. It was Wade Jones, Mike Trigg and Cody Leonard three wide for second coming off turn 2. Leonard got a run on Gordon coming to the line but a caution flew.

On the restart Jones got by Leonard and along side Gordon for the lead getting the spot on lap 2. The top four began to pull away with Jones and Gordon nose to tail and Leonard staying glued to Trigg's rear bumper, with Mike Lyon in fifth.

Jones caught lapped traffic and tried to change his line in turns 3-4 and looped it for a caution, putting Gordon on point for the restart. Leonard tried to keep the pressure on Gordon, while Jones quickly worked back up. At the white flag Gordon had about six car lengths on Leonard that he held for the win in the Alamo Hot Rod Parts, All in Designs, Dewalt Tools, 8T1 Construction, crate powered, Dog House Chassis.

Alamo Hot Rod Parts Street Stocks

22m Anthony Gordon, 93 Cody Leonard, 4t Mike Trigg, 41 Wade Jones, 20 Mike Lyon, 81 Tony Bernal, 27 Megan LeStourgeon, 4 Dwayne Markgraf, 3 Brent Guillory, 48 Robby Minten, 43 Aaron Leddy, 95 Sterling Tausch, 69s Darin Blevins—bf(rough driving), 22p Michale Pesek---dns

Street Stock heats

Heat 1; 22m Anthony Gordon, 4t Mike Trigg, 69s Darin Blevins, 81 Tony Bernal, 95 Sterling Tausch, 4 Dwayne Markgraf, 22p Michale Pesek---dns

Heat 2; 93 Cody Leonard, 41 Wade Jones, 48 Robby Minten, 20 Mike Lyon, 43 Aaron Leddy, 3 Brent Guillory, 27 Megan LeStourgeon

Torres Takes Two

The 20-lap, 22-car Pure Stock feature started off in slam-bang fashion with a big pile up in turn 2 ending the night of several drivers. On the second try it was Dustin Hurley jumping out front chased by Tryton Temple, Dillon Gaither, William Saunders and Kenny Wright. Gaither and Saunders ran door to door until Robby Minten expired a motor for caution on lap 2.

On the restart Allen Torres got a huge run up top going three wide with Johnny Torres and Wright for fifth. Up front Temple was pressuring Hurley for the lead and got under him to take the top spot on lap 6. Behind them, A. Torres was continuing his charge getting by Gaither and Saunders for third.

Now the lead group was in traffic with A. Torres and Hurley going three abreast past a slower car with A. Torres getting second. At the crossed flags it was A. Torres getting around Temple, Gaither, Wright and J. Torres in the top five.

After a couple caution for spins, A. Torres started to creep away from Temple while J. Torres took third from Gaither. Coming to the checkers it was A. Torres with a comfortable lead over Temple cruising to the win the Allens 24/7 Towing, All in Designs, Scott Ball Racing, crate powered, Nova.

“I moved to the top and it just stuck,” explained A. Torres. “I tried the bottom and it just spun the tires so I moved up. On that restart I was afraid of someone moving up in me and pushing me off the track. I was close to wall a couple times.”

“I was just hoping that Tryton(Temple) would stay to the middle/bottom. He did and gave me the room I needed to say up top. I was anticipating Johnny coming up and just waiting for him.”

“We sure hope that we've got our early season bad luck out of the way..”

All in Design Pure Stocks

94 Allen Torres, 99t Tryton Temple, 26br Johnny Torres, 5 Dillon Gaither, 68 Kenny Wright, 4d Dustin Hurley, 49k Michael Keylich, 98 William Saunders, m13 Jeremy Watson, 18jr Ramon Sevilla, 51 Albert Medellin, 10 Scott Jerkins, 22r Ronnie Sparks, 19 Daniel Miller, 63 Joe Dee Johnson, 41t Elgin Tracy, 75 Jerry Miller, 3 Robby Minten, 48 Robert Kelm, 9s Jarrett Payton, bd1 Jared Maupin, 17 Casey Lowe

Pure Stock King of the Hill

Allen Torres vs Johnny Torres final

It was an all Torres King of the Hill shootout with Allen starting inside, Johnny outside. Allen was off turn 2 with a slight lead. Johnny crossed over in turn 3 to duck inside with the two side by side at the white flag. Johnny had a small advantage, but Allen powered by on the top in turns 3-4 to beat Johnny by a fender.

“We make bets, but there was no bets this time,”added A.Torres. “He's a better dry slick driver. It was kind of slicked up the bottom and I thought for sure he would beat me. I got him!.”

Pure Stock B-main(top 7 to A-main)

49k Michael Keylich, 17 Casey Lowe, 18jr Ramon Sevilla, 10 Scott Jerkins, m13 Jeremy Watson, 63 Joe Dee Johnson, 19 Daniel Miller, 28 Chad Miller, 38 Sonny Kinnaman, 25t Travis Slavik, 77 Craig Rice

Pure Stock heats(top 5 to A-main)

Heat 1; 4d Dustin Hurley, bd1 Jared Maupin, 26br Johnny Torres, 68 Kenny Wright, 9s Jarrett Payton, 49k Michael Keylich, 10 Scott Jerkins, 38r Sonny Kinnaman, 25t Travis Slavik

Heat 2; 94 Allen Torres, 99 Tryton Temple, 5 Dillon Gaither, 41t Elgin Tracy, 51 Albert medellin, 17 Casey Lowe, 18jr Ramon Sevilla, m13 Jeremy Watson, 63 Joe Dee Johnson

Heat 3; 75 Jerry Miller, 3r Robby Minten, 98 William Saunders, 48 Robert Kelm, 28r Ronnie Sparks, 28 Chad Miller, 19 Daniel Miller, 77 Craig Rice

McCall Master of Sport Compacts

Brandon McCall picked up his first win of the season leading all but one lap in the 20-lap Sport Compact feature. McCall was first to turn 1 on the second try with Johnny Ervin, Kasey Krauss, Ronnie Schoenfeldt and Michael Burris sr. in pursuit.

Ervin was able to sneak by McCall after a quick caution for debris, but McCall retook the top spot a lap later. Behind them Burris sr and Schoenfeldt were side by side with Kirk Ball and Krauss door to door. A series of yellows slowed the action with Ball not only losing spots, but a lap along the way.

The yellows gave Jamie Garner a chance to make his way into the top five finally getting by Krauss for third while the lead duo checked out. Garner was able to reel in Ervin who was losing ground to McCall as the laps clicked off. Coming to the finish it was McCall by half straightaway in the Freddy Harris Sand & Clay, Bettis Boat & RV Storage, Wilburn Steel, D&D Hydraulics, picking up the win in the Hyundai Tiburon.

“It's always good to get the first win of the season out of the way,” said McCall. “I'd like to thank D&D Hydraulics for coming on board this year. William Saunders and I did a little work the last couple weeks and it paid off. Hard work pays off.”

“I always wonder where those VW's are at. I saw Kirk(Ball) got hung up on a tire and was looking for Jamie(Garner). I heard on the raceciever during the last restart, “the 33 behind the 44”, So I knew he was coming.”

“I was watching the two races before us and the bottom just wasn't there. I tried it one time and it didn't come off the corner like I wanted it to. I knew I had to move up then. If I couldn't come off the bottom I knew they'd have hard time getting by me down there.”

“The class is growing real good. We've got some new guys and up-n-comers coming along. Johnny Ervin gave me a good run for my money for a few laps. It all worked out good.”

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

14 Brandon McCall, 33 Jamie Garner, 44 Johnny Ervin, 23 Kasey Krauss, 1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 5L Scott Lesher, 29t George Compton, 4 Cody Earnhardt, 95m Daniel Lopez, 38 Kirk Ball, 6p Levi Hernandez, 11j Josh Jones, 18 Michael Burris sr., 01 Adolph Tracy, 81 Michael Burris jr., 93 Colton Borlace, 88 Justin Sitterle, 01g Adam Tracy

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 14 Brandon McCall, 18 Michael Burris sr., 1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 29t George Compton, 88 Justin Sitterle, 01g Adam Tracy, 6p Levi Hernandez, 95m Daniel Lopez, 01 Adolph Tracy

Heat 2; 23 Kasey Krauss, 44 Johnny Ervin, 38 Kirk Ball, 5L Scott Lesher, 33 Jamie Garner, 81 Michael Burris jr., 4 Cody Earnhardt, 11j Josh Jones, 93 Colton Borlace

Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts

Senior Division; Peyton Jones, Charles Flanagan, Ryker Hernandez, Tanner Pesek. Hanna Miller, Makayla Trimble

Junior Division; Cody Clegg, Makenzie Pesek, Gaige Whitaker, Bentley Day

Youth Division; Cheston Markgraf, Blaine Markgraf, Berkley Keylich