TEXAS RACE OF CHAMPIONS

NeilTPS

Texas Race of Champions Winners

at Texas World Speedway

Jason of TexasSpeedZone.com asked me to compile the following list. He said he would put it in the TXSZ Statistics page. Until it is posted there, I thought this new forum would like to have it.

These races represented a Texas Racing milestone. The events were a "labor of love" for all of the race officials who produced the TROC. The races were the only major stock car race in Texas during this 20 year period. All TROC drivers eagerly anticipated the races at TWS because they were always run in the off season so as not to interfere with local asphalt tracks in the southwest. In all five or six classes, 130 to 150 drivers and cars would sign in at TWS

I hope you like this historical list. I think it will bring back many fond memories to Texas racing people, both past and present.

Neil Upchurch

< year & TROC Number

Year< #....Driver/Hometown...................Car#.....Car Type

1976<#1 Ed Sczech/San Antonio TX........#67.....Chevrolet Chevelle

1977<#2 H.B. Bailey/Houston, TX............#36......Pontiac Firebird

1978<#3 Jimmy Finger/Austin TX.............#22......Chevrolet Camaro

1979<#4 Jimmy Finger/Austin TX.............#22......Chevrolet Camaro

1980<#5 Freddy Fryar/Beaumont TX.......#14......Chevrolet Camaro

1981<#6 Terry Labonte/Corpus Christi...#44.......Oldsmobile Calais

1983<#7 John Newlin/Houston, TX..........#54......Pontiac TransAm

1984<#8 Freddy Fryar/Beaumont TX.......#46......Chevrolet Camaro

1985<#9 Terry Labonte/Corpus Christi...#44......Pontiac Firebird

1986<#10 Terry Labonte/Corpus Christi.#44.......Pontiac Firebird

1987<#11 Tommy Riggins/Jacksonville,FL.#02......Buick Regal

1988<#12 Tommy Riggins/Jacksonville,FL.#02......Buick Regal

1991<#13 Slick Yoemans/High Point, NC..#24.......Ford Thunderbird

1996<#14 David Starr/Houston, TX..........#87.......Chevrolet Camaro

1996<#15 Tommy Grimes/San Antonio....#22........Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Notes: All Texas Race of Champions events were contested on the 2.0 mile road course except in 1996 when twin 25 lap TIDA-LM races were held on the same day on the 1.5 mile Texas World Speedway inner oval.

Texas Race of Champions events were not held in 1982, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995.

Compiled by:

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director, Texas Race of Champions, Texas World Speedway

Contributions by:

Cotton Sherland, Former Chief Inspector, Texas Race of Champions

Russ Martin, Public Address Announcer, Texas Race of Champions

Neil, I've always said "Nobody keeps records as good as Neil Upchurch." I also believe nobody is as organized as the TPS series.

Can you find the results of the winners of the SuperStock and the TPS (former TIDA Pro Sedans) races also.

Didn't Rick Rapp win an event at TWS? or was that just one race of a 2 race "Texas Race of Champions" event?

Have you ever given thought to bringing back the "Texas Race of Champions" event at another track? Maybe Terry D and you can put something together for Octoberfast.

Thanks, Mel

Mel asked: Didn't Rick Rapp win an event at Texas Race of Champions?

Rodney asked: I thought Rick and Freddy maybe had shared a title. May not have been a TROC event ?

The answer: Rapp had several runner-up finishes in the spring race, the Texas Grand Prix. In the TROC, Rick Rapp finished second to Tommy Riggins on October 30, 1988. My records on the Texas GP are not 100% complete. If my memory is correct, he never won at TWS. Maybe Rick can get on here and confirm or correct this post.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

As far as I can remember Jerry Grant (81) won a good amount of the super stock races. Larry Bendele (23) won a couple as well.

I think Rick Ellis (1) and Danny Stewart (in Mel Harrington's 11) won a race too.

I may have left off Ray Becka as winning one ?

Pro Sedans belonged to Bucky Hutchinson in the mini 57 a few years and Aaron Simon #7 was a winner. I know I've left some of those guys off!!!

Rodney Rodriguez writes: "As far as I can remember Jerry Grant (81) won a good amount of the super stock races. Larry Bendele (23) won a couple as well. I think Rick Ellis (1) and Danny Stewart (in Mel Harrington's 11) won a race too. I may have left off Ray Becka as winning one"?

The answer: To the best of my memory, you are correct regarding Jerry Grant and Larry Bendele winning the Super Stock class at several TROC support races. Danny Stewart did win one race when the Chevelle driven by Rick Ellis took the checkered flag first but proved illegal and was disqualified. I had a really bad time with the race trophy incident which followed that race for months.

Ray Becka was apparently a winner as Billy Becka has pointed out in his post:

“You may have left off that Ray Becka won three in row at TWS”.

Thank you Rodney, Mel and Billy for your kind remarks.

I am going to forward this question to Bob Castleberry who now lives in Iowa. Bob was the Chief Inspector of the Super Stock class and might be able to help us.

Does anybody have a complete year and winners list?

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

Thanks Neil for the memories. We went to races at TWS so many times. I wish it would open again for racing to touring series, or even Nascar, Busch. Seems such a waste of a beautiful facilities. I know someone who may have some memories of drivers and will contact him and let you know if he still has his memory.

Good Luck with TPS.

From rwracingmom: “Thanks Neil for the memories. We went to races at TWS so many times. I wish it would open again for racing to touring series, or even NASCAR, Busch. Seems such a waste of a beautiful facilities”.

Many people have suggested this to me over the past years. While it would be nice to restore the TROC to an active Texas major race, I don’t think that is possible. TWS has become a rental facility and doesn’t host professional racing any more. TWS could be rented by investors who might want to return to “the way it was”. I have done cost estimates which don’t justify renting TWS and holding a TROC, unless the race investors are intentionally willing to loose money.

Thanks for your nice comments rwracingmom - Neil

Neil,

As you say, there were several years when there were no TROC or Texas Grand Prix races held at TWS. Can you fill us in on why races weren't held those years?

Nick Holt

Nick – In response to your question: There were no events held in 1982, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995. “Can you fill us in on why races weren't held those years?”

Multiple answers: Changes of TWS ownership several times, change of management philosophy, major gas shortages, legal considerations and other front office reasons.

In 1976 I proposed to TWS President Dick Conole the idea of having a state championship race on the road course. He named the event Texas Race of Champions (TROC) and approved the funding if I would organize and direct the race. He deserves credit for promoting and funding TROC’s and Texas Grand Prix races for a period that covers 20 years.

Ishin Corporation of Japan bought and repaved the track in 1990. They named Dr. Richard Respess as General Manager. Dr. Respess lasted only about a year. We did run one TROC as a support race to ARCA-NASCAR West in 1991. (That race had three NASCAR regulars: Dale Earnhardt Sr., Darrell Waltrip and Ken Schrader who were paid promotional money to run). Ishin then brought in a manager from California who had no racing experience. Through all this, a TROC was run anyhow.

Ishin defaulted and Dick Conole took over TWS again. He asked me to re-establish the TROC. Conole wanted the race to take place on the 2-mile oval. I disagreed because I had safety concerns. We agreed to run the race on the 1-½ mile inner oval because the cars had to slow down for both turns. TWS promotional material touted the race to be run in March 1996 and again in September. We signed a contract for the March race and I organized and conducted the event. Much to my surprise and disappointment, Mr. Conole reversed his thinking and the September race was not held.

TWS has not held another professional (purse) race since 1996 and has opted to operate the track as a rental facility, which is what they have been doing for the past nine years.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

With track rental at ~$20k for the weekend (pretty much all inclusive... wrecker, EMT, food, incl. in that), is it really that hard to break even? I know it would be impossible to justify it for one or two groups, but why not include several big groups like USRA, etc.? SCCA does it with ~200 cars at $250/car entry, so it might be a big "oh sh*t!" to some of the roundy-round guys on the entry fee front. I'd certainly be glad to help look at the feasibility with my experience on the SCCA side of things, especially if there was some way we could do a co-op type event.

I know it would be hard to have spectators defer costs since the grandstands were recently condemned...

In response to - Chris Taylor:

To include the oval racers again at TWS, there is another budget item known as THE PURSE. It is not only just about getting enough racers to co-op and generate the track rental money, which you estimated at $20,000 “all inclusive”.

The oval racers who made up 95% of the TROC field were always paid by TWS. TROC officials were always paid by TWS for working at TWS's professional event. Both of these budget items are now reversed – TWS gets paid by the racers for providing the race cars to race around the TWS road circuit.

The no grandstand thing also cuts gate income potential a lot. Its just not the way it used to be !

Chris: Get a sponsor to absorb all the overhead and purses and I’ll be glad to do TROC again.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

20 years of Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway

They were the best of the best. A field of 50 or more Late Model entrys was routine. They were the best race car drivers in Texas. They were the drivers who won the TROC, the Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway.

Their names read like the “who’s who” of racing in their day in the Lone Star state. Names like: Ed Sczech, H.B. Bailey, John Newlin, Slick Yoemans, David Starr, Tommy Grimes.

Then there were the champions who won the Texas Race of Champions twice:

Jimmy Finger, Freddy Fryar, Terry Labonte, Tommy Riggins.

What a great group of drivers won the TROC.

We are fortunate to have experienced the Texas Race Of Champions.

Texas racing may not pass this way again !

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

From: rwracingmom: “Thanks Neil for the memories. We went to races at TWS so many times. I wish it would open again for racing to touring series, or even NASCAR, Busch. Seems such a waste of a beautiful facilities”.

Many people have suggested this to me over the past years. While it would be nice to restore the TROC to an active Texas major race, I don’t think that is possible. TWS has become a rental facility and doesn’t host professional racing any more. TWS could be rented by investors who might want to return to “the way it was”. I have done cost estimates which don’t justify renting TWS and holding a TROC, unless the race investors are intentionally willing to loose money.

Thanks for your nice comments rwracingmom – Neil

In response to questions I have received about race distances and tracks (courses) on which the Texas Race of Champions was contested, here is a summary answer.

All TROC events were contested on the 2.0 mile road course at 62 miles or 100 km race lengths except in March of 1996 when twin 25 lap, 37 mile TIDA-LM races were held on the same day on the 1.5 mile Texas World Speedway inner oval.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

Neil,

If my memory is correct Rick Rapp did win 1 half of a double header. I don't remember if it was a TROC race or not. He was driving Melvin Meyers Nova. With a Rapp engine. I remember this as there is a picture of one of his crew members holding a sign that read " HOME BUILT ENGINE" in one of the old programs that I have. I will see if I can find it and post the year. Thanks for the memories and great racing you have directed over the years.

Mark Shurbet

Mark Shurbet writes:

Neil - ”If my memory is correct Rick Rapp did win 1 half of a double header. I don't remember if it was a TROC race or not. He was driving Melvin Meyers Nova. With a Rapp engine. I remember this as there is a picture of one of his crew members holding a sign that read " HOME BUILT ENGINE" in one of the old programs that I have. I will see if I can find it and post the year. Thanks for the memories and great racing you have directed over the years”.

Mark – I very much appreciate your post. The list of Texas Race of Champions winners was jointly developed from extensive research by Cotton Sherland, Russ Martin and myself. We lacked documentation on several of the spring races, which were known as the Texas Grand Prix.

We do have complete records on the TROC and regrettably, Rick Rapp placed second several times in both races, but was not listed as a winner of the fall event entitled the “Texas Race of Champions”.

A good many people mistakenly referred to all of the TWS races as TROC’s. The same error happens each year at Indy when they have an event known as “carburetion day” for cars that haven’t had carburetors for a long time.

It would be helpful if you would post any Texas Grand Prix race records or information you have. Please include dates and other supporting data regarding the Texas Grand Prix.

I have a partial list of Texas GP, but it has several missing years. For example, our records are blank for 1986. We don’t know whether or not a Texas Grand Prix was run that spring.

The only Texas Grand Prix twin race, of which I am certain, was on March 10, 1985. Bobby Allison of Hueytown, AL won the first race in the #22 Buick Regal. Leroy Farmer of San Antonio, TX was elevated from second place to winner of the second race that day in his #11 Pontiac Firebird when Freddy Fryar’s weight break was not validated by an engine which he borrowed that exceeded 9 ½ to 1 compression ratio. Besides the twin 25’s in March of 1996 won by David Starr and Tommy Grimes, that 1985 race was the only other twin race we had at TWS.

Thanks again for your post today and future contributions you make to this topic.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

Regarding the post in Texas Racing History about the long-closed Meyer Speedway in Houston, I have the following recollection of a linkage between the Texas Race of Champions and Meyer Speedway.

When Dick Conole (owner of Texas World Speedway) accepted my recommendation to hold a series of stock car road races at TWS, we initially met resistance from Ed Hamblen, Promoter and Track Manager at Meyer Speedway in Houston.

Ed told me that Texas stock car drivers would never be interested in racing on other than ovals, such as his in Houston. Contrary to his forecast, we went ahead and conducted the Texas Race of Champions anyhow.

Years later, Ed Hamblen came up to the announcer’s booth at TROC and spoke on the PA system. He said, “Neil, I once told you stock cars on road circuits would never work. As I look down into the pit area and see about 150 race cars in the garage area, I am here to tell you and everyone here that I capitulate. TWS has done a good thing for Texas racing with the Texas Race of Champions. Keep up the good work”.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

Rodney: Thanks for your question.

Levi Taylor from Corpus Christi competed in an early Texas Race of Champions. He was the fastest qualifying first time TROC driver (4th of about 50 drivers as I recall). He only participated in one TROC.

Levi Taylor died of cancer a few months after his outstanding time trial performance at his first and last Texas Race of Champions.

I recommended to Dick Conole that a Fastest Qualifying TROC Rookie Award be established and named “The Levi Taylor TROC Rookie Award”. His parents were guests of TWS at TROC races thereafter.

An engraved perpetual trophy was established and displayed in the TWS office. The fastest first time TROC driver was recognized at the Winners Circle pre-race ceremonies on each race day.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

Years back my dad and several of his friends hopped in their buddy's motor home and headed north from McAllen to see one of those ARCA races. While there, dad bought himself, us kids at home t-shirts. When my wife and I got married in 2001, we moved up to College Station so that she could attend Texas A&M. Dad gave me his shirt from the ARCA race b/c he thought it would be cool to see what kind of comments I got on it. Well I wore it one day while my wife drug me around the mall and other shopping areas around town; and at almost every place there was someone that saw the shirt, smiled and said something to the effect of "I remember those days!" Pretty neat. :)

My wife graduated from TAMU in 2003, then we moved to Corpus Christi so that she could begin the new nursing program at A&M Corpus Christi and I could continue at A&M Kingsville. While down there for two years I got to watch and work many races at CCMS. I got the racing bug down there! Now we're back in College Station (my turn to attend the big school...), and I have to say that I am pretty bummed about the lack of asphault racing in the immediate area! Escpecially with TWS right down Hwy. 6! At least there's a dirt track not too far from my place.

Maybe if I wear that t-shirt around town some more....? ;)

Robert

Archived