Danny Rittaman

PAPA

Notice how the drivers in all these pics cellebrated a win. No burn-outs. They proudly waved the checkers in a victory lap. Thats how its done with class. And they didnt hurt the motor or anything else on the car.

Wow...I love these stories and I really love these pictures ! I was pretty young when my parents started taking us to Speedarama back in the 60's so I don't have any pictures but these pictures have brought back some memories. Keep em comin'...Mickey Mckim

Guest rocketdog15

I think Danny Rittaman drove the 33 car at Pan American Speedway (topperwein). Dont know if anybody else drove it.

During part of 1970 - 1971, I was the Pace Car driver at Pan American Speedway on Topperwein Road.

Regarding the tires.....I don't remember if there was a regulation make of tire in the rules or whether or not there was a tire width rule using any make of tire. Whatever the rule might have been, wider was better and a lot of the Super Stocks mounted the widest available tire sold.

Riccy Ware Jr. and Trey Ware have computers and read TXSZ. Help us out here gentlemen.

Neil Upchurch

The last picture, which shows #33 Rittiman in the fence, also has the # 3 car of Darrell Godfredson in it.

In regards to the Johnny Doyle midget, A gentleman named Bill Jones was displaying some restored 50's Porsche cars in the same area that Doyle's midget was.

As neat as Doyle's midget is, it may interest some to know that Mr. Jones has 4 of them, all restored, in San Antonio.

My father and I have a standing invitation at our convenience to visit him at his house to look at these cars. He also has just about anything left of the Smith-Jiggler V8-60 engine conversion that exists outside of museums. This motor was covered in a previous post.

You want to hear about racing history? Talk to Johnny Doyle about San Antonio, and Bill Jones about anything else, as he was an Indy car mechanic when Indy cars meant something. I was so fascinated talking at the Autorama with Mr. Jones on Saturday, I went back Sunday for more.

• 4 months later...

I was at Pan Am the night the 33 hit the wall in turn one Danny said the throttle hung wide open.Joe Shaffer was the original driver of the yellow and black 33 car Danny kept the color scheme and the number alive after Joes passing due to cancer

• 1 year later...

Back then at PAS I raced a pinto in the mini stock class. We were "limited" to 10" wide tires. I would buy the take offs from the super stocks for about $5 a tire. I used to weld my own centers into old Super Stock wheels mounted to our brake lathe. ( you couldn't buy a 15" wheel 10"wide with 4 lug pinto pattern) Nick Holt didn't have any openings in his suspension seminar back then, so we didn't know a lot about setting a car up. Those big tires made up for a lot of ignorance. Bolt 4 of those on and go faster. Ill bet my right front wheel weighed 25 lbs. Those were the good old days allright!

Regarding rules about tires - During 71-72 there were no maximum width rules for the Super Stocks, so when the Indy tires from Firestone and Goodyear became available, people ran them. A 10" max width was mandated starting in '73.

Archived