Pure Stock Grudge Race, Sport Modified Meet-n-Greet @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 7/28/18

Pure Stock Grudge Race, Sport Modified Meet-n-Greet @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 7/28/18

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(July 28th, 2018)It was another big night as I-37 Speedway returned to action after a week off, and welcome break from the 100+ degree temperatures that made conditions so miserable that many scheduled tracks in north Texas opted to cancel their events due to extreme heat dangers. Ya, it was only 98 as the gates opened.

On the racing card were the regular Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds, Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds, Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models, SABFI transportation Street Stocks, All in Design Pure Stocks, Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts and Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts.

Along with the regular heats and features, Kris Workman, who was critically injured in the Sutherland Springs Church shooting last year, organized a grudge race between two groups of Pure Stocks. The traditional four link cars versus the leaf spring, Nova bodied cars.

“I noticed that there was a sort of cult following and a rush to buy up leaf spring/Nova based Pure Stocks because of Allen Torres’ success in the class at the south Texas tracks,” said Workman. “There was a unwritten perception that the Novas were better than the traditional four link cars. I just wanted to call the Nova owners on their bluff and said we should have a team based grudge race to see which cars were truly better.”

“I more or less just instigated the idea, but the post seemed to gain so much traction with the racers that I decided to see if the track (I37speedway) would be game to let us put on the race.”

“From there, sponsors came on board and I decided just to run with it and start promoting and coordinating it.”

“Once we knew it was going to be a thing, I asked the Nova Nation to elect a captain so the choices of participants would be fair. Allen Torres stepped up and chose his team and I did the same for the four-link team. He and I agreed upon a set of rules, procedures and criteria (and we posted them publicly)”

The two teams consisted of Daniel Preston, Caitlin Leonard, Aaron Leddy and Mason Casteneda, the Fast Four Links and Allen Torres,  Clint Montanio, Jarrett Payton, and Kenny Wright, the Nova Nation.

5b5e302a91bfe_DSC_0060(1280x851)(2).jpg.ed111cbf548cafc21aaa5c60a5a98790.jpg

With a separate purse, contingency awards and bragging rights on the line the race itself took on a personality all its own. The team with the best overall points total took home the money and the right to say that they were the best for the rest of the season. Through the night more sponsors stepped up upping the purse even more.

Payton Passes Preston for Pay Day

After some heat race issues Caitlin Leonard was forced to find a back-up car(from Brandy Torres), and Kenny Wright was added as the alternate after Dakota Hurley broke. Montanio and Preston drew the front row with Montanio getting the lead on lap 1, trailed by Preston, Payton, Casteneda and Leddy. Preston grabbed the point on lap 2 with Torres moving up getting along side Casteneda for fourth.

Payton got second from Preston while Torres continued to move forward to third. Behind them Casteneda and Leddy were swapping the spot. Payton closed on Preston with two to go and as the white waved the duo were door to door. Payton(San Antonio) in the In-n-Out Waste Solutions, Evans Custom Designs, Billy Bobs Tire & Repair, Nova was able to edge out Preston for the win.

What are the odds?...What would be the odds of eight cars splitting the points equally ending in a tie between the two teams. Well after it was all tallied up both teams ended the event with 18 points. As discussed pre-race the championship was decided by the team that won the race, Nova Nation.

“I want to thank Kris for putting on this race and Johnny Torres for his help with setting up the car.” said Payton. “The car was bad fast and I was able to run down Daniel(Preston) and make a last lap pass for the win.”

“It was team effort getting the overall team win. That couldn't have happened without all our team cars finishing where they did.”

Pure Stock Grudge Race(10 lap)

9s Jarrett Payton—NN, 6 Daniel Preston—4L, 94 Allen Torres—NN, 28m Mason Casteneda—4L, 93 Aaron Leddy—4L, 43 Clint Montanio—NN, 88 Caitlin Leonard—4L, 68 Kenny Wright-NN

Green for Green in Modified Main

Bertram's Rick Green took home the money in the IMCA Modified feature, but it wasn't easy after midway. Green jumped out to an early lead from the eighth starting spot and put some distance on Jeremy Davenport, Cody Tidwell, Jake Rollins and Greg Dinsmore. Tidwell made his way to second while Dinsmore marched his way up to third.

At halfway it was Green, Tidwell, Dinsmore, Rowdy Flanagan and Chris Carroll in the top five. Dinsmore was able to take second from Tidwell but was half a straightaway back until caution flew on lap 13. The restart saw Dinsmore and Tidwell on Green's bumper, but as the two fought for second Green inched ahead.

Dinsmore run to the front ended with brake problems leaving Tidwell to take up the charge on a restart. Green got a couple car lengths on Tidwell and Carroll with Flanagan and Cody Leonard side by side for fourth. Tidwell gave Green a look on the final lap, but Green in the Greens Construction, Nate Mare Wraps, crate powered, BMS Chassis was able to hold him off for his first I-37 victory in several years.

“I was out in left field this year,” stated Green, who leads the Modified track points. “I've taken some time off traveling with kids sports and stuff. I had to get some help from my buddy Chris Carroll. He's really helped me get the car dialed in. I also have to thank Darin Leonard who let me borrow a drivers suit top tonight. Mine is misplaced somewhere.”

“I try to kick the tail out a bit in turn 4 to get a peek back at who's behind me to see how close they are. I really didn't want that yellow, but at the same time I knew it was just “go” time and I wasn't looking back anymore. This is the first win out here this year. I've had one at Cotton Bowl already.”

“It's been a bit of an eventful evening, between losing my suit and almost driving off the side of the scales before the races. It's been a blast, though. I can't say enough about the friends I've made. It's a lot of fun right now.”

Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds

82 Rick Green, 17 Cody Tidwell, 15 Chris Carroll, 12 Cody Leonard, 58 Rowdy Flanagan, 137 Bill Pittaway, 3 Jeremy Davenport, 92 Jake Rollins, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 377 Don Banker, 14t Talon Minten, 47 Brandon Lawrence---dns

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 8g Greg Dinsmore, 17 Cody Tidwell, 15c Chris Carroll, 137 Bill Pittaway, 3 Jeremy Davenport, 47 Brandon Lawrence

Heat 2; 82 Rick Green, 58 Rowdy Flanagan, 377 Don Banker, 92 Jake Rollins, 14t Talon Minten, 12 Cody Leonard

Whiteaker Wins a Wild One

From the start of the 20-lap Sport Modified feature it was like a heavy weight battle between two of south-central Texas' top drivers, Johnny Torres and Steve Whiteaker jr. Torres beat Whiteaker to turn 1 for the early lead while Eddy Ross, JJ Jennings and Talon Minten were three wide for third. Torres and Whiteaker checked out with Torres getting off the corners better than Whiteaker, who was getting in deeper.

At halfway it still Torres and Whiteaker with Minten, Cody Beddoe and Jennings in the top five. Whiteaker changed his line to the middle of the track and got along side Torres. The two ran wheel to wheel for several laps until lapped traffic on the bottom slowed Torres and gave Whiteaker the advantage. Torres tried to fight back but it was Whiteaker(Corpus Christi) in the DS&S Construction, CBR Shocks, South Texas Speedway, 1st Class Towing, G&M Oilfield Supply, T. Roberts Optical, Braka Operating, WW Bodies, Performance Graphix, Nasty Cookers, raceontexas.com, Best Performance Engines, Hughes by 89 Motorsports Chassis holding him off at the checkers.

“That was a lot of fun,” commented Whiteaker. “It's probably one of the best races I've had in a long time. Racing with someone like Johnny(Torres) you don't have to worry about them running you over and giving you room. He was pretty quick. We got him suckered in traffic. He looked like he got tight and our cars tend to turn better, and that's where I got him. I didn't come here to run second. The last thing I was going to do is follow him around on the bottom.”

“We had some distributor issues in hot laps and thought we had it fixed. The gremlins came back and the car was cutting out bad. I felt I couldn't keep up on the straightaway and was trying to make up for it in the corners. Once I calmed down and realized I had, what I had, I started reeling him back in. His car was probably better, but I was able to get around him for the win.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

89c Steve Whiteaker jr, 66 Johnny Torres, 2 Talon Minten, 77 Cody Beddoe, 26g JJ Jennings, 12 Cody Leonard, bd3 Eddy Ross, bd2 Jared Maupin, 9 Robby Minten, 4$ Kris Rye, 31 Chase Havely, 56 Broc Bowen, 184 Brian Rye, 95 Larry Lewis, 22m Anthony Gordon, 24 Jim Blevins, bd4 Cheryl Gray, 11t Tom Grothues, 58c Hunter Flanagan---dns

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; 66 Johnny Torres, 2 Talon Minten, 22m Anthony Gordon, 184 Brian Rye, 31 Chase Havely, bd4 Cheryl Gray, 24 Jim Blevins---dns

Heat 2; 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., bd3 Eddy Ross, 12 Cody Leonard, 9 Robby Minten, 11t Tom Grothues---dns, 58c Hunter Flanagan---dns

Heat 3; 77 Cody Beddoe, 26g JJ Jennings, 56 Broc Bowen, 4$ Kris Rye, bd2 Jared Maupin, 95 Larry Lewis

Two For Tommy

Tommy Grimes, known on the pavement scene as the 'Texas Tornado', picked up his second win of the season holding off a late charge by Trey Votion. At the start Quentin Henderson jumped out front with Howie Marcx, Jason Kelly, Grimes and Cody Leonard in pursuit. As Henderson pulled ahead, Grimes and Votion made their way forward.

Just past halfway Henderson had problems and pulled to the infield giving the lead to Grimes. A late caution for Marcx, who found the front stretch wall, put Votion on Grimes tail for the restart. Grimes got out by a couple car lengths on green on Votion. Votion gave Grimes his best look on the final lap but it was Grimes in the NAPA Family Parts Co., Longs Machine Shop, Shaw Chassis hanging on for the win by a car length.

“This one was good,” replied Grimes. “To me, following guys like Trey(Votion) Cody(Leonard) and Quentin(Henderson) does more for me than being in front of them. It has taught me so much about searching around for the line. They can find where the track is good. You can see how the enter, how they handle, what they do.”

“This is a good car. Just getting seat time is what I needed. Once you get the feel you're looking for and get comfortable with turning right to go left makes the difference.”

“The track was in really good shape. It had a lot of grip. I enjoyed that track out there tonight. You could run top, middle or bottom. It was more like asphalt where I could get some forward bite.”

“I knew Cody and Trey would be coming. Under that caution I saw Trey jump up outside me. I knew they'd be coming, just didn't know how long it would take them to get there.”

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models

22t Tommy Grimes, 99 Trey Votion, 5 Cody Leonard, 57 Jason Kelly, 95 Jerry Jones, 13 Howie Marcx, 44 Quentin Henderson

Limited Late Model heat

Heat 1; 99 Trey Votion, 22t Tommy Grimes, 5 Cody Leonard, 57 Jason Kelly, 13 Howie Marcx, 44 Quentin Henderson, 95 Jerry Jones

Gordon Grabs Gold

The Street Stock started as a three man race between multi-time track champ Wade Jones, Anthony Gordon and former Limited Late Model champ Frank Okruhlik. The three took off at the start leaving the rest of the field in their wake despite several restarts. Near halfway Jones did something he rarely does, made a mistake, spinning from the lead.

This handed the top spot to Gordon with Okruhlik on his tail while Jones tried to work his way back up. At one point Jones was three wide with Justin Boop and Shawn Moore, with Boop and Moore making contact sending Moore around and collecting Dennis Hilla. On time limit the race was cut to a green, white, checker finish that saw Gordon in the All in Designs, Alamo Hot Rod Parts, 8T1 Construction, Dewalt Tools, 602 crate powered, Doghouse Chassis inch away from Okruhlik for the victory.

“We had Wade(Jones) make a mistake,” said Gordon. “We really haven't done a lot to this car since we've been so busy at work. I just want to get out here and play. There's still a lot of work and improvements that need to be done.”

“Wade's got his new car dialed in pretty good. So we have the standard on what we have to chase down. Tonight was our lucky night. He was better in (turns) 1-2 and I was better in (turns) 3-4. He made one mistake and that was all I needed. “

“The way the track was for our feature I pretty much knew unless someone made a big mistake it was going to be tough to pass anyone. Frank O' is tough, but it's only his second race back in that car. He'll get it dialed in and it will tougher each week. The more get the cars set up and more cars that show up, it'll make it that much more fun.”

SABFI Transportation Street Stocks

22m Anthony Gordon, 36 Frank Okruhlik, 41 Wade Jones, 20 Mike Lyon, 14 Lynn Fox, 95s Sterling Tausch, 2x Dennis Hilla, 72 Justin Boop, 18 Shawn Moore, 33h Cody Henderson, 81 Tony Bernal, 6h Thomas Reiley, 23 Dennis Taber jr., 8 Jacob Crow, 69j Jeff Rabedeau

Street Stock heats

Heat 1; 41 Wade Jones, 23 Dennis Taber jr, 2x Dennis Hilla, 69j Jeff Rabedeau, 14 Lynn Fox, 72 Justin Boop, 81 Tony Bernal, 18 Shawn Moore

Heat 2; 22m Anthony Gordon, 36 Frank Okruhlik, 33h Cody Henderson, 8 Jacob Crow, 20 Mike Lyon, 95s Sterling Tausch, 6h Thomas Reiley

Fuller Fastest in Pure Stock Feature

In a race slowed by a red flag, it was another former pavement racer, Jamie 'Joe Gibbs' Fuller taking his first ever dirt win. At the start of the scheduled 20-lapper it was Aaron Leddy getting the lead chased by Allen Torres, Ryan Carlucci, Mason Casteneda and Fuller. Torres had transmission trouble and pulled off early from second with Fuller moving up to second and Zach Courtney, Casteneda and Robby Minten three wide for fourth.

The red came out when Carlucci went around and got drilled by Jarrett Payton, who had nowhere to go. Both drivers were checked out, Carlucci was sent to the pits for further observation. Once back to green Leddy's car began to falter letting a string of cars go by putting Fuller on point with Minten and Casteneda on his tail.

At halfway it was Fuller, Minten and Casteneda slugging it out, William Saunders, Tryton Temple and Jared Maupin door to door with Daniel Preston for sixth. Casteneda and Minten continued their battle for second until Casteneda had a trailing arm come loose and rip the driveshaft out. On the restart Fuller got a good jump and ran off to the checkers in the Reflective Wrecker, C3 Speed Horses, CNC Grafix, Longs Machine Shop, Nova.

“Luck!” exclaimed Fuller. “All those fast cars in front of me broke. I guess I scared them. It was rough out there. I come from asphalt. This is only my second dirt race and it was so rough I didn't think I could do it. I never saw halfway, five to go, two to go, I saw the white flag and thought, 'really, I'm going win this race?'”

“I didn't see Mason(Casteneda) on the outside, but I did see Robby(Minten) there on the inside. He got in my door a bit, but rubbin' is racin'. That's the only car I ever saw. I figured he or Mason would get by me. They've been doing this a lot longer than I have.”

“I don't think if Aaron's car was running right I'd get by. That car is better than this car. I've done a lot of work on that car and haven't done much on this one. I figured he would win. I didn't even think I would finish second. When all the fast car broke I thought I might have a chance.

All in Design Pure Stocks

43 Jamie Fuller, 44 Robby Minten, 99 Tryton Temple, 98 William Saunders, 4d Dustin Hurley, 6 Daniel Preston, bd1 Jared Maupin, 23 Andy Kirkland, 19m Mike Horelka, 68 Kenny Wright, 17 Casey Lowe, m13 Jeremy Watson, 36z George Quintanilla, 28m Mason Casteneda, 5 Dillon Gaither, 82 Andrew Garcia, 88 Brandy Torres, 93 Aaron Leddy, 2x Zach Courtney, 34 Ryan Carlucci, 9s Jarrett Payton, 94 Allen Torres, 30 Riley Heil---dns, 40 Dakota Hurley---dns

Pure Stock B-main(top 8 to A-main)

6 Daniel Preston, 23 Andy Kirkland, 5 Dillon Gaither, 82 Andrew Garcia, 4d Dustin Hurley, 88 Brandy Torres, 17 Casey Lowe, 30 Riley Heil, 39 Jim Blevins, d68 Julio Reyes, 48 Robert Kelm, 9c Caitlin Leonard---dns, 33 Charles Earnhardt jr---dns

Pure Stock heats(top 4 to A-main)

Heat 1; 93 Aaron Leddy, 43 Jamie Fuller, bd1 Jared Maupin, 19m Mike Horelka, 5 Dillon Gaither, 23 Andy Kirkland, 88 Brandy Torres, d69 Julio Reyes

Heat 2; 34 Ryan Carlucci, 99 Tryton Temple, m13 Jeremy Watson, 9s Jarrett Payton, 6 Daniel Preston, 4d Dustin Hurley, 33 Charles Earnhardt jr

Heat 3; 94 Allen Torres, 44k Robby Minten, 36z George Quintanilla, 40 Dakota Hurley, 17 Casey Lowe, 48 Robert Kelm, 9c Caitlin Leonard

Heat 4; 28m Mason Casteneda, 98 William Saunders, 2x Zach Courtney, 68 Kenny Wright, 82 Andrew Garcia, 30 Riley Heil, 39 Jim Blevins---dns

242 for Carter

Harlingen's GB Carter showed the Sport Compact field nothing but the Rabbits tail as he cruised away to pick up win #242 of his career. Carter jumped out front on green with Brandon McCall, Trevor Bettis, Mike Pearson and Kirk Ball falling in line. The races only caution came when Roy Easler jr. went over the turn 3 hill. Once back to green Carter again pulled away, with McCall pulling off late leaving Carter with a big lead at the finish in his Don Wilde Racecraft, Margaret Felps, VW Rabbit.

“Winning never gets old,” replied the veteran Carter. “When I win out here my trip is paid for. It's all about making laps. I may have won 242, but I've lost about 2000. Trial and error stuff. Most of these guys haven't had the chance to do all that. They're still working on it. They'll get better. There's some good racers out here.”

“It was a good track. The track has improved so much since the beginning of last year. I like to run a high line, that wasn't there last year. Now the track has a line all the way from the bottom to the top. I can run anywhere on it.”

“Air pressure is a big deal. I've adjusted my air pressure the last two races and 'Thumper' has come alive. I run my air pressure like I did at CC Speedway(asphalt). This track bites like an asphalt track, for us. McCallen(Rio Grande Speedway) was dry slick, this is not dry slick. Its fast. But you've got to be set up for it and have good shocks.”

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

77 GB Carter, 57 Trevor Bettis, 33 Jamie Garner, 23 Kasey Krauss, 29 Mike Pearson, 8 Roy Easler jr., 11b Colton Borlace, 7L Loryn Noah, 38 Kirk Ball, 13 Daniel Miller, 24 Felipe Ruiz, 14 Brandon McCall, 01 Randy Frautschi, 30 Bobby Caulfield---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 77 GB Carter, 57 Trevor Bettis, 01 Randy Frautschi, 38 Kirk Ball, 7L Loryn Noah, 24 Felipe Ruiz, 8 Carrie Kelm

Heat 2; 29 Mike Pearson, 14 Brandon McCall, 23 Kasey Krauss, 11b Colton Borlace, 33 Jamie Garner, 13 Chad Miller, 30 Bobby Caulfield---dntg

Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts

Senior Division: Hannah Miller, Ryker Hernandez

Junior Division; Peyton Jones

Youth Division; Aubrie Moore, Blaine Markgraf, Berkley Keylich

Archived