San Antonio Speedway Major Announcement

Mike Sepich

May 28, 2003

I have been following the thread on this site about how to attract fans to fill the seats at San Antonio Speedway. Many of the ideas that were presented have all ready been tried and had little success and others were just a little to far outside of the park. The common concern voiced was that obviously for our sport to survive these trying times is to increase the size of the fan base.

Three years ago before accepting the position as Manager of San Antonio Speedway I was just another fan and never realized just how delicate this business is. There is a crucial balance of Racecars, Fans, and Sponsors that must be kept at all times that provides the means necessary to keep the grass mowed, turn on the lights, and pay the purses.

My first two seasons as Manager of San Antonio Speedway showed impressive growth in all areas of this unique business. The 2003 racing season has been challenging and frustrating to date. The phrase “Misery loves company” comes to mind as I talk to other track operators/managers through out the state and country, other outdoor entertainment venue managers, and my employer. The common factor is that whether you are selling baseball, outdoor theme parks, concerts, movies, or stock car racing as entertainment, people are just don’t have the money or are concerned about their financial future and afraid to spend what money they do have.

The lack of race participants and race fans can and will create difficulties in the future whenever a racecar driver/owner or a racetrack owner/operator tries to secure sponsorships. Whatever side of the fence that you are on, it still requires sponsorship money to operate or participate. Sponsors need the fans to advertise to so that the fans will purchase their products or services.

Ted Carlson, owner of San Antonio Speedway, announced today that effective immediately general admission ticket pricing at San Antonio Speedway will be changed and an aggressive advertising and marketing plan that includes radio, television, and print media will begin on June 2, 2003.

Ticket prices for ALL events except ROMCO event nights and the Oktober”FAST” two-day event will be $8.00 for anyone over the age of 12. Ages 11 and under are free.

See You at the Races!

Mike Sepich

General Manger

San Antonio Speedway

Mike,

Great move!

I'm confident that our Texas Speed Zone members will do their part to make sure that the word about the new, lower ticket prices at SAS!

And thanks for allowing us at TSZ to be among the first to hear about this...

Nick Holt

That's great!.

I am sure that once the word gets out and people see that being a race spectator will be more affordable to the family, the count will rise. So will the soda pop and food sales I bet.

Are the back gate prices going to stay the same and not go up?

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

:rolleyes: Mike, OUTSTANDING! With things being tight for all, this is great, I think yours and Ted's heart is in the right place. That too is why we made this Friday Nights TSRS race @ THR 10.00 for adults and w/advance tickets only 8.00! People with families need to be able to afford to come and you know those children are always hungry & I have to say, you have a great concession for your race fans. No way you can sit and watch a race and not smell that good food!

Mike we wish you the best and I am sure those that contributed their advice on TSZ appreciate you and Ted listening. I feel like the sponsors and racers deserve to have a grandstand full of fans, happy fans at that! TSRS will be looking forward to seeing San Antonio Speedway again August 16th!

Mike, that ticket price sounds like a good deal. Five Flags speedway in Pensacola runs about $10.00 bucks on race night and the stands are almost always full. I like to compare SAS and Five Flags because they are pretty much identical tracks. They have some good races here and always have a good car count. Best of luck to all you guys at SAS!

Tim

HEY MIKE, THAT'S THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD FROM THE TRACK SINCE THE SEASON STARTED. IT GETS PRETTY EXPENSIVE FOR A FAMILY OF FOUR TO ATTEND RACES EVERY SATURDAY NIGHT. WITH PLENTY OF RACES LEFT IN THE SEASON, THE EXTRA MONEY CAN HELP PAY FOR TIRES INSTEAD!!! LOL :D

Mike,

Congratulations on making a sincere effort to get things "revved up" at SAS! I know the fans appreciate your efforts, and I hope things go well, since a good turnout at SAS benefits EVERYONE in the racing world!

Best of luck to you and everyone at SAS...

...San Antonio Speedway will be changed and an aggressive advertising and marketing plan that includes radio, television, and print media will begin on June 2, 2003.

I hope this aggressive marketing on radio includes the only weekly motorsports radio show in Central Texas, which can be heard in the SA area on the internet (plus, it's 1 of only 2 weekly racing shows in the entire state!) :D

Mike,

I just want to add my appreciation for your efforts to attract more fans to SAS. With the current tight economic conditions, a reduction in the admission price will definitely help. Now it's also up to all of us loyal fans to spread the word and help promote the track.

Thanks again,

Debbie :D

cuddos are great but in the words of a friend "you guys better bring friends" because that what we really need are warm ticket buying bodys in the stands.thanks for the efforts

Smart move, Mike. I think major advertisements are an excellent idea!Since you've lowered the prices in the stands, will you be lowering the prices for the pits? I've heard a lot of racers and pitcrews complain about the high prices for the pits. It's expensive enough trying to keep these cars running. By the way, what happened to the pacecar and trophy girl?

Guest The_Greek

dear Mike,

i am also glad u guys are lowering the price of admission, i live in Corpus, and i might add that SAS is my favorite track, ive been attending races at SAS for the last 15 years, it would be very sad if SAS were to ever close down. i would like to suggest to you a couple of my of my ideas on building more fan base, i would like to see Romco run there more than 3 times a year, it used to be 5 times a year, for what ever reason its only 3 :( also i would love to see SAS host a Southern All Star race, and even a All Pro Race once a year.

and lastly dont know if it can be done or not, but the Texas Bigshot race should be ran at SAS not THR.

Archived