World of Outlaws Late Model Series Statement Regarding Tyler Erb

NickHolt

World of Outlaws Late Model Series Statement Regarding Tyler Erb

World of Outlaws Late Model Series officials are aware of the ongoing situation with one of its competitors. Long after racing competition was completed at Volusia Speedway Park during night nine of DIRTcar Nationals, the Volusia County Sheriff department was called to the facility by a third-party for a non-racing-related altercation between Tyler Erb and a fellow driver. Series officials are in contact with the Volusia County Sheriff and will proceed accordingly. The World of Outlaws won't have any further comment at this time.

By releasing the above statement to the public, the World of Outlaws is probably responding to numerous Facebook threads and published accounts in racing media concerning an alleged altercations between two WoO Late Model drivers, Tyler Erb and 17 year-old Hudson O'Neal.  I will not get into the particulars of this deal but I do want to bring up what I see as an important issue. 

According to published reports, Erb has been charged with child abuse (as well as burglary) after a dust up between the pair over a non-racing-related issue shortly after a WoO-sanctioned event in Florida. The child abuse charges were filed against Erb since apparently Hudson is under age 18. Exactly who filed the charges is unknown to me, but what is clear is that what would have normally been a dust up between two men with a disagreement has taken on a life of its own on Facebook and Twitter.

Minors compete with adults all the time at short tracks and  anyone who knows my history in the sport knows that I am certainly not against kids racing.  I am, however, concerned that there are two sets of standards at race tracks - one for minors and one for everyone else. While I have no inside information as to why the WoO organization released the above statement to the public,  it appears likely that the WoO is following some sort of legal advice in doing so.

Hopefully all charges will be dropped in this instance, but I suspect this will not be the last instance of charges being filed against an adult involved in an altercation with a minor at a race track.  

Nick

I was originally thinking this is about a racing incident but it isn’t; what happened between the two drivers related to a third party and had nothing to do with on track events. A guy that’s  17 years 11 months old got in a fight and the guy who fought him is getting charged with child abuse and they both happen to be racers that where at a track.

Edited by FSAERacer

• 4 years later...