Sadly another one bites the dust ...heck of a showmen ...1979 teaching dancing at the yellow rose .I had the pleasure of standing outside  his  travel bus with mel and a few others eating whataburgers he was sponsored buy Whataburger then .lots of good laughs as he would stutter on Q or spoke plain wording  singing taught him how to speak with out the stutter for the most part . most country stars back then were very humble and I met many big stars after the shows ..everyone of em had time to visit an they enjoyed us as much as we enjoyed them . years later mel did another  concert and lucky my wife got her hands on vip passes  . after the show many of us waited  for mel to show up  and seemed like  forever  the funny part was he had changed into old duds and a rail road cap and was standing shoulder to shoulder with me in the middle of all those people waiting  no one knew he had walked in even the city counsel who would honor him did not know he was standing with us  . he bumped my shoulder and smiled with a grin with his finger saying don't make a seen he wanted to enjoy the moment and  after a couple of minutes I was able to tap my wife and some other ladies with us and told her he was standing next to me and all hell broke loose hugging and kissing all the lady folks around me  I was left out  lol ..he said he remembered me from back then that's why he stood there with us .. anyone who does not know who he is if you watched the cannon ball run movie he was teamed up with terry bradshaw that swimming pool seen was funny .RIP mel.have a coke a cola in heaven cowboy ..and yes she did have the saddle ..

Archived