Hmiel takes pole for Busch race at TMS

racerx

Hmiel takes pole for Busch race at TMS

07:33 PM CDT on Thursday, April 14, 2005

By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

FORT WORTH -- Shane Hmiel kept all 10 fingers around the steering wheel as he motored through the start-finish line en route to the pole for Saturday’s O’Reilly 300 Busch Series race at Texas Motor Speedway.

Two weeks ago in the Busch race at Bristol, Hmiel made an offensive hand gesture to Dale Jarrett after Hmiel ran into the back of Jarrett with five laps to go. He was fined $10,000 and docked 25 points for the transgression.

But it clearly hasn’t affected his speed. This is his first pole, but he’s started in the top-10 four times this season. It’s his first pole since August 1, 2003 at Indianapolis Raceway Park.

"I love Texas and I hope all these people will forget about the other thing and remember this," said Hmiel, who won his first pole at TMS.

Hmiel took advantage of several delays -- including one of 25 minutes because of axel grease on the track -- that moved his already late afternoon qualifying run even later. The cooler track conditions and his car, which was tops in practice, helped Hmiel turn his qualifying lap in 189.840 mph.

In a qualifying marred by wrecks, Hmiel decided not even to risk running another lap. Once he had overtaken defending series champion Martin Truex Jr., Hmiel headed to the garage. He didn’t want to risk hitting the wall like Shawna Robinson, J.J. Yeley and Nextel Cup rookie Kyle Busch did. And he knew that the final three qualifiers probably couldn’t catch him.

Yeley still made the race because he was in the top-30 in points. The right side of the rear axel of Ryan Hemphill’s car broke early in the session, spraying grease on the track and causing a delay.

Carl Edwards, the current points leader, finished third. This is the fifth consecutive Busch race that Edwards has started third or higher.

Hey Reb..

Have no fear....

I saw Hmiel run right out of his car and tell Dale Jarrett he won the pole..

:lol::lol::lol:

On another note up here yesterday..

We had a 1:40 p.m. appointment to interview Kasey Kahne...got there at 1:35..at 1:45, Kasey still hadn't shown up, and 2 reporters from NEXTEL Cup scene magazine showed up..at 1:49, Kasey's PR lady Lisa went over to the Busch garage to find out what was holding him up..

As you all probably know, Kasey had scraped the wall during practice...as it turns out, he was working on the car himself..in fact, he was UNDER the car when Lisa went to track him down..

I think that's great--Kasey and others who get their hands dirty to help their own cause, their team's cause and their crew chief!

On another note up here yesterday..

We had a 1:40 p.m. appointment to interview Kasey Kahne...got there at 1:35..at 1:45, Kasey still hadn't shown up, and 2 reporters from NEXTEL Cup scene magazine showed up..at 1:49, Kasey's PR lady Lisa went over to the Busch garage to find out what was holding him up..

As you all probably know, Kasey had scraped the wall during practice...as it turns out, he was working on the car himself..in fact, he was UNDER the car when Lisa went to track him down..

I think that's great--Kasey and others who get their hands dirty to help their own cause, their team's cause and their crew chief!

Whachew talkinbout willus? You met Kasey?! That's pretty cool. Did he end up talking to y'all? Was he cool, or a punk?

Whachew talkinbout willus? You met Kasey?! That's pretty cool. Did he end up talking to y'all? Was he cool, or a punk?

Eric,

Kasey was very "cool," he gave us 15 minutes of interviews even tho he was running late for other obligations.

He's a good "kid" (ugh, just reminds me how old I am, haha)...very energetic, very polite. Definitely a good role model for up-and-comers!!

;):D

This kid needs to be fined,fired and banned from racing. He is a TOTAL degrace to racecar drivers. During the race Sat. he threatened his crewchief, told his crew he knows why they don't make good money and was F'ing every other word... The only other thing I can say is that #1 must represent his IQ.

Its a free country Crazy Horse...a person can do whatever they want, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences...he is very talented, but he failed a drug test AFTER a race in which he pulled a crazy stunt and caused an accident...I was watching it, so I'm not going off hearsay...what if that had been you or Colt he hit and then he failed a drug test? Doing that kind of used up all of his chances to act like an ass like he has been lately IMO...yeah Jarrett is getting old and probably shouldn't have gone over to his window, but he has more championships that Shane will ever have (1)...and Shane sure seems to be tearing up a lot of stuff lately...if some people don't care for him, he sure makes it REAL easy...I think he has a lot of talent, but he also appears to have an equal amount of serious emotional issues. Too many deserving drivers without rides to put up with that crap if you ask me. I don't care who his Daddy is.

[edited out by Nick Holt, 4/18/05] WITCH HUNTERS!!!

Crazy,

The accident he was involved in on Sat., the first thing out of his mouth was that S0& turned right into Me. Funny thing is he turned into the other guy. As far as Witch Hunting, if the truth hurts people; then let it hurt... He's a disgrace to racing... I'm going to open up a huge can of worms here, but here goes. I never like Dale Sr. as a driver, as a person I thought he was great. Good to listen to and all. As a driver he didn't have to beat and bang on people the way he did. Now Jr. is the opposite, yes he's wrecked a few guys; but he'll apologize for it. He can't talk near as good as his dad, but give it time and he'll get better. Whats my point, if you can't control your car and your mouth then GET OUT OF RACING...

Just saw the last NBS show on speed last night. Every time Hmiel's upset (often), "language" starts flying out. Isn't he getting disciplined for the language? Or is the team maybe not providing frequency to the public?

Also, anyone ever get credible info on what the substance was that he tested positive for?

Dude's a headcase!

Archived