30 years hosting Lackland AFB trainees - A WOAI-TV news story

NickHolt

Hosting Air Force basic trainees from Lackland Air Force Base's "Operation Homecooking" is a 30-year tradition for the Holt family. And this year was no exception.

Here's a news story that WOAI-TV did about the Thanksgiving experience with enjoyed with our two young trainees this year.

Click here to view the news story >>>> http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/local-family-hosts-operation-home-cooking-for-30-years

These young folks will carry through the remainder of this conglomerate thing called life a lesson that cant be bought . ITS FREE . ...and will for ever change their way of thinking that no one really cares .no one has compassion . no boundaries when it come's to love, life, liberty ,freedom to share to give to one another with out shame .... they have been through the HOUSE OF HOLT the only possible charge is to carry the lessons and spread the word that nothing is impossible their family friends and future families will know this lesson .....GOD DID BLESS THE HOLTS ,

Not looking for any glory in this "Operation Homecooking" deal. We do this for three reasons:

1) We love knowing that our military is in GREAT hands in light of all the negative stuff you see on TV about Millennials. We've had nearly 100 of these outstanding young people at our house over the last 30 years. What a blessing they have been to us as a family. What we receive from doing this is FAR greater than what we give. Several of those who we had the honor of hosting have kept in touch with us over the years and several of them have shared that they have "passed forward" what they received from us to others. What a blessing they have been to us for simply setting two more place settings at the table on Thanksgiving.

2) Our kids would shoot us if we ever decided to stop this family tradition. I'm not ready to die just yet.

3) We hope that by going public with this that others will be led to do something similar in their community.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Nick I would personally like to say thank you for opening your home for them. 10 years ago I got to go home with a family for thanksgiving while I was in basic training at Lackland and I will never forget it. I don't remember their names but I will always remember the experience. Now I'm back in San Antonio in my current assignment as a trainer to the new troops and I get to see it come full circle every year. Thanks again.

Archived