ROMCO winner

Eddy Wallace set a new track record at a 13.82, almost 4/10's quicker than the race in March. Track was recently reground, and was real fast. About 28 cars started the race.

Invert put Heath Stewart on the point, Greg Davidson 2nd, Brandon Bendele 3rd, and Wallace. Greg went to the front after Stewart had early problems, and led the rest of the way. Bendele 2nd, Wallace 3rd, T.Wade Welch 4th, I think Chris Davidson and John Kelly 5th and 6th.

It was another survival race. Lapped traffic was a bad problem, along with one particular driver (I won't mention his name) who had a quick car, but no brains behind the wheel. Everyone that was there will know who that is.

On a tragic note, one of John David's long-time crew members was injured in the pit area after falling off a golf cart and hittiing his head on the asphalt. The last word anyone had last night was he was in surgery, and it wasn't looking very good. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Reb,

With all the big bucks we pay you to post complete, accurate results and stories here at TSZ, I just can't imagine why you dropped the ball on this one. I have an idea. How about if I get Jason to DOUBLE your pay? LOL

ROMCO is usually very good about getting the results out before noon on Sunday. Not sure what's the hold up is. Maybe they're watching INDY like me. LOL

Nick Holt

The hard charger award for this race oughta go to Chris Davidson. He stayed around the top five or six all night, and I think he finished 5th. The wild part of this is when he was finished, he had a pinion seal leak that had run the rear end dry, he had virtually no water in the engine, he had body damage from a skirmish with the previously unmentioned driver, sheetmetal hanging down on the nose, and no telling what else. That car was about as used up as I've seen one lately! Back in the pits after the race, it was smoking like a steam plant and smelled like it was completely burned up!

I called John David's wife earlier this afternoon, and sadly, his crew member passed away about noon today. She said when he got to the hospital, he showed no brain activity, and they kept him on life support for awhile.

He was an organ donor, and they harvested his organs to help others.

Hopefully the tracks and series will take a look at the golf cart and four-wheeler issue and establish some guidelines on their use. The original intent of letting them in to push cars, etc, has been stretched to the point that 12 year olds gotta have them to ride to the damn concession stand. Every race has close calls with them, and they need to be restricted.

In the meantime, let's keep this crew in our thoughts and prayers. John David (and all of Texas racing) lost John Foster last fall, and now J.D. has lost a long time crew member and friend.

Thats very sad news. I was also informed that two Texas Thunder Spwy. drivers also passed away over the weekend. Rich Hartley passed on Fri. while "Gentleman" Jim Garner lost his battle on Sun., just as the IMCA Stock(his class) A-main at the Nationals started. Hartley gave me my first ride in a dirt stock car as a bithday present one year. Garner had birthdate, within a day or two of mine, and I was part of several multi-person B-day parties at Texas Thunder Spwy. Both lost their fights with cancer.

Nick, It would have been a good trick for me to do ROMCO recap/results being I was about 300 miles away in Fort Worth covering the Texas IMCA Nationals. But I'll take the double pay, just for yucks!

Reb,

For some reason this spring has seen the loss of several well-known and beloved Texas racing figures.

Being 300 miles away is NO EXCUSE! If that reporter from the NY Times can make up stuff out of thin air then you can too !!!

Was trying to figure up your new TSZ pay rate, but my calculator won't go that high.. lol

Nick Holt

Archived