16 or older

smallblock

i heard the boy that bought a latemodel cant remember his name but i think his like 14 or so was at thunderhill practicing this weekend i thought they said that insurance would not allow it anybody got any feed back on wether or not they are going to let the younger kids drive

Didn't we go though this last year... Different tracks have different rules and series as well for example... IMCA allows 14-15 year olds to compete on their tracks in the hobby stock class as long as the track is 3/8ths of a mile or less... Each track is different as that pertains to what the insurance will allow... Brian could be all for having those younger drivers race but if insurance says no then it will be no... Since at some tracks there is different insurance for weekly racing versus having someone like TSRS or USRA , you can see difference's in insurance regs... From what I saw last year he is gonna be a hell of a driver... Either way he more than likely his parents had to sign a few releases just for him to be there...

I guess when you have 13 yr olds who can't make good decisions yet, racing 4 cylinders, well then naturally you should move them to a latemodel when they are 14. I am not bashing the kid, i've seen him race and he has talent. But I saw several errors in judgement that I think were directly related to his age that could have gotten some people hurt last year.

i'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one rookie49. i'm sure kyle made some mistakes last year but what rookie no matter what their age hasnt? I know i made lots of mistakes when i first started and still do. so instead of trying to use his age as a reason lets just use the reason everyone else does,"its just a rookie mistake." whether you people like it or not there is young kids running late models all across the country.

Being a parent of a young driver, I can sure understand the concerns of competitors, and that of being just a parent. Some of us, don't know any thing else but racing, wether that be motorcross, cars, horses, etc, we all have safety concerns. Being parents of young drivers, one thing that is guarantee they have better safety gear, than we as adults would allow our selves to have. Insurance companies rule the world, they I belive, and in many cases that impacts all of us at some time or another regardless of age. I belive mistakes will be made no matter what the age will be. I have seen grown adults that have no business being behing any type of wheel. Yes may post concerns, but the person that is a new comer into the series has to prove themselves to everyone no matter what the age. Look at Nascar, several young drivers that are not old enough to legally enjoy the taste of a cold beer. Some of us, may not have had the opportunity to do the things that we as parents do for our children. I'm honored to know that my child would rather be racing, then hanging out on the streets,doing what we probbally were doing at that age. For that I'm greatful

I believe that different insurance companies have different requirements and that sometimes a particular insurance provider will have different requirements for different tracks.

In that regard, Mary Ann Naumann has asked me to post that "we were still under our last season insurance that did allow it."

Nick Holt

i have to agree with that............i would much rather see my kid racing then hanging out on the streets on a skateboard or playing video games.........sure kyle might have made some mistakes last year but when you only have a fraction of a second to react to things, you have a 50/50 shot.............he did pretty good when i saw him at sas last year.............from watching him race it was hard to believe he was as young as he is......and the good thing is he is only going to get better with experience.............

Still confused? When does "this seasons" insurance go into effect at THR? Or...Is "TSRS" insurance going to cover THR for all classes of cars, races, and practice at THR? "With permission" younger drivers can complete at THR this year? THR had posted this rule on March 11th...

It is with deep regret that our insurance company has notified Thunder Hill Raceway stating that, "No one under the age of 16 years will be allowed to race the large model cars."  

That rule does not apply to the Allison Lone Star Legacys, nor to the Mini-Cups.

However, it does apply to all other classes of cars.

Thunder Hill Raceway officials have attempted to find another insurance company, but all of them have applied the same ruling.

Look, I'm not bashing him, I'm not bashing his parents. I think he seems to be a good kid with a good head on his shoulders and as I've already said I think he has talent. What I'm saying is that at that age the level of judgement is not matured yet, That isn't a knock against him, its a fact. Science, medicine, and anecdotal evidence all prove that. I'm also not saying that being experienced or older will make someone else who is older have better judgement than him. My point is that if he makes a huge error that is because of his age, how can you blame him? If some 30 or 40 year-old guy makes a similar mistake, it wasn't his age that led to it, it was his idiocy. As to the comment that the parent above made about just being glad that the kids are involved and not running the streets, well I agree 100%. I wanted to have a car and me and my daughter were going to race it, but family, business, time, and money have conspired against me to stop me. Still hoping though. I reread my first post and I probably could have worded it a little better and not sounded so harsh, but the point remains the same, and from the sound of TGural's post the insurance company must be thinking along the same line.

i am gonna kick this fire ant mound a little and see what happens. i can remember reading about why women should'nt be able to work,or drive,or vote,and their place was in the kitchen,and we are not that far away from when people of color could'nt vote because of whatever justification was in place to make it so. point being, if the kid wants to do it and has the means to then let him. You give people a chance to do things that they are not "supposed" to do and you send them the message that they can do anything they put their mind to. now do i personally think this kid should be in a late model. absolutely not,but obviously he has proven himself to his parents and proven that he has the drive and dedication to do something and do it well.can the same argument be made for putting a younger talented kid with krazy basketball skills in the NBA? us race car drivers "of age" make stupid mistakes all the time,give the kid a chance to learn and see what happens.

man when i was 14 years old i spent all my time trying to figure out a way to sneak my dads truck and my moms car out of the house at night, i cleaned out all the ditches in the county i lived in until my dad said if i would leave there vehicales alone he would find me somthing to drive, we built a dune buggy and raced on the beach in sc, the best years of my life were with my parents racing and, if this kid can race me or you clean and hard let him race its our duty to help kids learn about the same things we wanted to do when we were 14, i hope he can race with us, my hats off to his parents they are doing what parents are supposed to do support there kids waddy ps do any of you remember what my car looked like at the end of year last year racing with so called adults i mean this in a good way don,t be mad

listen for starters i was not bashing him i dont even know him i have children of my own and they seem interested in the sport i was wondering because if they are going to allow the younger age then i would like to possible get them into it of course if its something they would like so i would really like to get to the bottm of it are they going to let the age group of under 16 drive or not !!!!!!!!!!!

This whole thread is ridiculous.If they have the dough....LET THE FOOLS RACE!!!...who cares what age they are...we all know about the car count dilema in Texas.Man that sounded selfish.heck,let the darn Martians race if they want to lol,just as long as they aren't afraid to pass somebody.Bump...get them loose coming off...pass...cool huh?Ok I'm rambling again,so I'll shut up now.Go get them Kyle,you are behind where Jeff Gordon was at this point in his career. B)

Hey Turbo-Diesel the thread isn't ridiculous it's the insurance companies. I agree if a kid want's to get into a race car he/she's gonna have to know that there is a chance that they might get injured or may'be even killed.IT'S A RISK YOU TAKE BY STRAPPING INTO A RACE CAR. that's the way i feel about it so...

all i'm saying is that the insurance companies should not intervene with this issue because it's really the driver's decision. and if the parents allow it LET THE KIDS RACE. make them sign waiver's or something you know what i mean?

"That's all i have to say about that..." (Forrest Gump)

Chris Farr

Is this thread about Kyle ? or is it about anyone under 16.

I have raced beside him, and will continue to do so. I have never given it a second thought.

I have made my share of mistakes, and I will continue to make mistakes. The point is we ALL make mistakes...age should not be a deciding factor.

we have all seen Kyle drive, if we had a problem with him driving in our series ya'll would have seen it on this forum.

I dont think one driver in our series has posted anything about how they feel uncomfortable racing with him.

SO......If we (the ones that race with him) are fine with Kyle and his age....why should anyone else not be.

remember one thing!! when you are coming off of turn 4 to take the green.....we are all just drivers with numbers on the side of our cars..

p.s. remember this is not Kyle's first rodeo...

Tom

I think that it is alright for a young man and young women to race I did.But I think that the parents have to accept the resposinably if a wreck like HE had happenes. This is a dangerous sport don't blame what happenes on the track. Racing is walking a type rope right now if a young kid gets hurt and the track is sued it's over the press will kill the tracks.

listen for the last time its not about kyle its about the insurance and the track are they or are they not going to allow under the age of 16 to race nothing more and to kyle if your out there this post was not designed in any way to bash you i just wanted you to know that. so i am sorry for that. but all i want to know is can they race or not and i know the people in charge of the track do read these forums i would have expected a reply by them before now.

Heck smallblock I agree with you. Our kids used to take my old 98 Olds out and drag with it and come home and wash it so when I returned home it would be cold instead of hot. I used to touch the hood to see if they had been joyriding. If the tracks want the kids to race so be it. Just make sure they understand the decisions they are making and the parents understand the consequences. They have to learn sometime, better there than on the streets with dope or getting drunk and running with the wrong crowd. Those teenage years for our kids were the best. They all hung out at our house and still do today. just my 2cents.

smallblock,

To answer your question, YES we can get the younger crowd into racing. We have a Legacy car with your name on it. PM me if your interested.

Mel

P.S. Just being able to buy a car is not going to get you in if your under 16. The host track and the series director will want to make sure our new drivers (under 16, and over 16) are competent to drive a car. We can arrange a "Test" session for most any drivers.

This is about 16 year young drivers right?

Kyle has done well running with Legacy cars

this past season.WHY IS HE BEING SINGLED OUT?

Jumping from Legacy Cars to Late Moldels is a huge

jump.While Legacy cars provide you with great

experience with chassis setup these cars are SMALL

and you have alot more room on the track than you do

with a Late Model.It would only benifit someone to race

a full size car before jumping to Late Models.JMO

Archived