Friday Racing

I want to clarify rumor to fact. Rumor: we are closing in three weeks. That is false statement.

FACT: IN drivers meeting I did ask drivers to consider viable options to get fans in the stands as we cannot sustain racing and payouts and all options are on board for increased participation. I by know means said we are closing. I want serious solutions and options only. So please contact me and continue to make Shady Oaks Speedway better. With that beig said attendance was up a bit last night we need to continue in thst direction. FRIDAY RACING SCHEDULE STAYS THE SAME...as of now,but will consider all options. Race or class sponsors are options also. We will not change schedule unless it is Final resort OR is best option! THANK YOU.

Fridays will be tougher during school. The summer ought to see a nice increase but September will be tough because of football.You have a good product to sell. The racers there are as good as any tracks. And the facility itself stands alone.Good luck to all of you.

I dont think people are saying track is closing i have heard them say that they think it is no way track can sustain spectator count like it is for three more races and keep racing...Need to take blinders off quick or yes it may not be good.....NICK i am giving personal opinion and repeating what i have heard about friday night racing...Also as a business owner having to deal with economy and job cuts...Myself i have not been able to make a friday night race.Most thinks that in few weeks it will pick up due to school activities.

1. Most families (working families who work for someone else) will only be able to take off a few times before it will cause problems at work or even loose job...even late start cant give most enough time. if they are taking off without pay 2-3 hours during race week look at what this cost the worker.IF they have to be consistant 40 hour employer to hold insurance this is not gonna work.IN last 3 months just cuero and victoria work force has lost 1500 jobs invista couple hundred also few hundred more on and on.in june cuero to lose 275 more .Now has anyone thought about how many of these workers went to races i know from just people i know with above statement it effected around 40 people..They have told me personal that they cant make friday night racing and kids miss it...

2. Most dont get back home until 6:00 after work if family with young kids and mother has erronds or picking up groceries this makes it later.My wife normally gets off 6:00-6:30 also son in sports pick him u at 6:30 girls from grandmas 6-630 and this takes both of us not one so we usely able to do our personal things after 7.

3.Football in these areas are year round need to get off it will get better now track baseball soccer and all select leagues run year round not gonna happen..TOO MANY parents want kids to be superstar athletes so sports will come first...all these sports practice or plays on friday evenings...

4.I think past races has set standard of spectator count yes could get better but to get 350 in stands on friday night afraid it wont happen...wish it does ..This is special number to keep track going in right direction financially..

I think that an open forum with drivers and spectators opinion needs to take place on here to and give opinion and listen....

i can go on and on but gonna keep it short...

As long as the discussions remain positive, constructive and positive for the track, I'm all in. However, if this turns into a bitch sessions, you better believe I'll be doing some overtime on here.

Personally, I have seen Friday night tracks work very well. Back in the day the Austin track (Friday) and the San Antonio track (Saturday) pulled it off with packed stands both nights. I was co-owner of a San Antonio car, was working full time and still made the trip to Austin every Friday to race. Then raced San Antonio the next night unless we had too much damage or something.

Nick

NICK you also living in past lol! Back in the day men ruled the roost and was mostly only one who worked... Your talking 40-50 years ago!!!! im living today not past most ladies work now and will tell husbands how it is and when money tight you better believe they are gonna cackle like a hen and them men are going to stay their ass home and not go, back then like my father if he wanted to go to rodeo or shoot pool or whatever he went didnt care if divorce was in hand but things have changed.one last thing( fact )most race car drivers in your day had several wives or on 2nd or 3rd today most are still on #1 and i think most know these days that its cheeper to get along then do what u want if wife says husbands arent going... they dont go ECONOMY IF TUFF....LMAO THIS IS 2000 NICK

Even though I'm an old fart and out of touch with reality, I believe Friday night racing can succeed. But it won't if the racers don't want it to.

In my opinion, racers either want to race or don't want to race. Those that want to race find a way and those that don't find an excuse.

Why not help the track make it work instead of looking for all the reasons why it won't work?

Nick

In the old days drivers wives and kids didn't get into the pits. They do now and so the stands appear less full. Maybe the question isn't how do we fill the stands but how do we get more people to the track.

If pit passes and grandstand tickets cost the same I doubt there would be many people in the stands. I think you will get more people to the track if you make it more affordable for a family to get into the pits. Reduce standard pit pass to $15, let kids 12 and under in for $5. 13-17 get in for $10. $30 for car and driver. Consider travel expense to SOS for the average family. They have to.

Your looking for people/families who will show up week to week. Your target cost per family needs to match their weekly budgets.

Another way to add to the head count is more cars. Problem is SOS is pretty far from most racers. You have to pay enough, and far enough back for the struggling racers to be able to afford to finish 5-7 and break even. Travel fuel, race fuel, entry fee The wealthy racers will show up anyway. More cars = more people.

Don't make it hard for someone already at the track to spend their money. Long lines at pit gate or concession stand when you are needing more revenue doesn't make sense. I have walked away from concessions and seen others do it also when lines are too long. Their money stayed in their pocket even though they wanted to buy something. I would buy a SOS T-shirt in a heartbeat. My kids would want one too.

If you want to fill the grandstands have a low, flat rate for a family. Any size family, same low price. Most fan-families will be traveling to come to your show and spending their entire "fun" money for the week. Have bargains like a $3-5 kid meal for kids under a given height.

Have more ceremony. Monthly trophies for best looking car in a class. Hard charger awards ($) for racer that passes most cars in the feature race or put on the best show. Trophy dash and grudge races. Rookie battles when appropriate and Spotlight young drivers. Longer features on holiday and special events with Trophies given at finish line.
In addition to Friday racing, try some Sunday afternoon daytime races.

Keep throwing out the ideas, great thread and those making decisions we are reading. Please continue.

Reconsider the IMCA track venture, it appears only local drivers are coming and having to use those rules.

Pass out free arm bands at the Goliad high school or other schools and get the young crowd interested

Even though I'm an old fart and out of touch with reality, I believe Friday night racing can succeed. But it won't if the racers don't want it to.

In my opinion, racers either want to race or don't want to race. Those that want to race find a way and those that don't find an excuse.

Why not help the track make it work instead of looking for all the reasons why it won't work?

Nick

I understand nick but i guess im one who finds excuse because i have children and i for one dont ask no one for assistance on rasing them..$$$$I have a duty as a parent to support them and give them a better life than i had so by saying that i will stay at work on fridays and after work i will go look at jobs and get several jobs when my competition is out spending money on friday nights. I WILL KEEP building a small fortune for my last three kids to have a reliable car to drive to school and have money for their continuing education after high school...So i will just keep working my work day on friday and when i am able i will come race and if not i will go race on saturday....

1. I drive through a lot of small towns on the way down the track from San Antonio (Stockdale, Yorktown, exc) and stop at several different gas stations / truck stops and see poster for the local event (concert, or fundraiser, exc) and usually stop to read them cause they catch my attention. SOS could easily make some posters and I bet most truck stops and gas stations/ Dairy Queens would allow you to post them. Also give the manager/owner of the establishment a say 10 Grand stands tickets to give out. That would bring alot of people in the gates. Also advertise 18 wheeler parking, theirs plenty of truck drivers looking for something to do on a Friday night.

Also you could print out some poster advertising the next event and give it to the drivers (at the drivers meeting) that want to put them up at our work, or may know the local auto parts store manager and ask it we could put it up.

2. I think a major problem that SOS has is when the action is not happening (durring caution, or between races) the fans get board!! They need to be entertained, Hire an entertaining announcer that keep the fans interested in the racing action and make them want to come back! Some one like Jonathan Sanford Cotton Bowls former announcer.

This really works! I took a date, who has never been a race track ever, to Central texas speedway and they have some a great announcer that talked the whole race and during cautions kept the crowd entertained. After the races they made a comment about how fun it was cause quality of the announcer!

There's alot of thing going right at SOS on Friday nights. Races being ran fairly fast

1. I drive through a lot of small towns on the way down the track from San Antonio (Stockdale, Yorktown, exc) and stop at several different gas stations / truck stops and see poster for the local event (concert, or fundraiser, exc) and usually stop to read them cause they catch my attention. SOS could easily make some posters and I bet most truck stops and gas stations/ Dairy Queens would allow you to post them. Also give the manager/owner of the establishment a say 10 Grand stands tickets to give out. That would bring alot of people in the gates. Also advertise 18 wheeler parking, theirs plenty of truck drivers looking for something to do on a Friday night.

Also you could print out some poster advertising the next event and give it to the drivers (at the drivers meeting) that want to put them up at our work, or may know the local auto parts store manager and ask it we could put it up.

2. I think a major problem that SOS has is when the action is not happening (durring caution, or between races) the fans get board!! They need to be entertained, Hire an entertaining announcer that keep the fans interested in the racing action and make them want to come back! Some one like Jonathan Sanford Cotton Bowls former announcer.

This really works! I took a date, who has never been a race track ever, to Central texas speedway and they have some a great announcer that talked the whole race and during cautions kept the crowd entertained. After the races they made a comment about how fun it was cause quality of the announcer!

There's alot of thing going right at SOS on Friday nights. Races being ran fairly fast

agree i heard this also

kids footrace at intermission this was crowds favorite i sound like broken record been saying this for years....have a little purse for them....

Foot race is good. Do it every time. And give a 10 dollar trophy to the winner. They used to do a class shorter than the flag, and a class taller than the flag.

Is the school bus still out there and capable of making laps?

Bring drivers over for autographs at intermission or ???(have to work around race schedule to make sure you leave them time to get ready for feature, maybe have that class run early, and come over after).

Get the kids involves and having fun, and they'll be your advertisement.

Friday/Saturday has little to do with it. If they want to be there, they will be. Some may miss the first couple of heat races, but they'll still show up.

Maybe do a pick 'em card. Pick all the feature winners and turn in at intermission. Get all right and win a hot dog, bag of chips, and soda next time out.

Maybe do a pick 'em card. Pick all the feature winners and turn in at intermission. Get all right and win a hot dog, bag of chips, and soda next time out.

This really gets fans involved... I talked to a few gentlemen at cotton bowl in the stands and they were making $5 bets on each class and just having a ball!

the track could have a little card fans fill out and had in and the people the pick the winner get something free!

Trophies would help kids activities foot races bike races maybe a live singer during intermission take cars to did places on sat or Sun before races hand out fliers then and maybe give away some free tickets as a door prize for that Fri race talk to the radio stations about free air time

kids footrace at intermission this was crowds favorite i sound like broken record been saying this for years....have a little purse for them....

yep i know it kept me there and several others and was pissed off if i couldnt make it...hell ill even provie my old trophies again if its what it take...have them every weekend!!!!

Got to get the show over by 10:30! Spouse and kids get tired! Bike and foot races are HUGH! Give winners cash! It will go right back to consession stand! (Free entertainment and fun for the kids). A few free tickets around local towns doesn't hurt! Beer specials and $1 hot dogs.

Archived