TMS engine horsepower?

KrisFrost

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I didnt say it clearly but I dont know much about that stuff but I would have figured more in the 400 500 hp range... Guess when you get up to 160 to 180 it dont matter what kind of Hp you have... What kind of Hp do those motors produce without the restrictor plate...

Here is another good question. I learned from an engine builder from Mission whom builds most of the motors for Brandon Bendele I say most because Longs is doing his TMS motor only... Any idea why he went with Longs for TMS instead of Mission? Just Curious....

Marc

I heard from a little birdie that Wade's motor made 600+ last year, along with donnie wilson and doug lege'. Im sure the good westside motors are really close to that if not making more this year. I also heard that one motor combo made around 630, but wasnt real reliable, 10 laps i think. Then it blew up on the dyno the second time so they backed off a little.

Big John

Last year the fast guys were going around 152-155mph. The rest were around 140-145 during the race. This year the speeds were down at the tire tests because of the carb spacer/ intake manifold rule changes. I'm guessing the speed will be in the high 140s.

That dyno reading above makes me feel better about our 245ish corrected flywheel hp with a homemade plate that was a little smaller than 3/4" (we found out afterwards). I thought we were way off since that number was so small.

Kris

I'll try to answer the question without stepping on any toes. In plain terms there are two types of engine dynos.

One that does only the motor hooked up to a tranny and has simulated pedal power through the use of a computer. The computer is pre-programmed to get maximum HP from the motor at optimun operating RPM.

The other is the type were the whole car is put up on what is basicly a giant roller. As the car gets up to speed the rollers turns and that info is tranfered into a computer program to determine the actual HP.

I know that this may not be perfect, forgive me If I'm wrong but I was only trying to help.

I'll try to answer the question without stepping on any toes. In plain terms there are two types of engine dynos.

One that does only the motor hooked up to a tranny and has simulated pedal power through the use of a computer. The computer is pre-programmed to get maximum HP from the motor at optimun operating RPM.

The other is the type were the whole car is put up on what is basicly a giant roller. As the car gets up to speed the rollers turns and that info is tranfered into a computer program to determine the actual HP.

I know that this may not be perfect, forgive me If I'm wrong but I was only trying to help.

Ok, my turn... hahaha! :D

Dyno is short for dynamometer, a device that measures torque and can therefore calculate Horse Power.

The two main types of dynos are an engine dyno and a chassis dyno. An engine dyno is where your engine is out of the car and connected to a water brake which measures torque and therefore horse power.

A chassis dyno is two large rollers which your cars tires rest on, strapped down, and actually driven. The rollers also measure torque and horsepower. The chassis dyno is a great way to find out how much power your car is making.

Neither a chassis dyno nor an engine dyno alone can give you all the necessary information. Each is designed to test different things and are best used in conjunction with one another. Horseposer at the flywheel, as measured by an engine dyno is far and away the most accurate tool for tuning an engine and trying different combinations of internal and external parts to maximize the horsepower and torque curves for a given application. Once that number is achieved it is very useful to install the engine in the vehicle and measure rear wheel horsepower on a chassis dyno. Obviously this number is significantly less than that measured at the flywheel. The goal is then to minimize the loss measured at the rear wheels as opposed to that measured at the flywheel. As the name implies, chassis dynos are typically used to measure horsepower differences by items that are chassis specific such as exhuast systems and driveline components. I think that alot of us would be surprised at just how much rear wheel horsepower could be maximized far less expensively than by buying the latest "go fast bolt on goody" if we spent a little time on a chassis dyno and tuned our intake, exhaust and drivetrain with even half the zeal we do just the engine. JP

Archived