Bruce Wins Thrilling NCRA/ASCS Dodge City Feature!

rebelracewriter

Bruce Wins Thrilling NCRA/ASCS Dodge City Feature!

Dodge City, Kansas June 27, 2015 - Tony Bruce, Jr. made his first trip to victory lane in National Championship Racing Association of Park City, Kansas presented by Precise Racing Products sprint car competition since 2009 as he claimed the exciting Steve King Memorial feature finale at Dodge City Raceway Park in Dodge City, Kansas on Saturday night in a co-sanctioned event with the American Bank of Oklahoma American Sprint Car Series Red River region.

Jeff Stasa and current NCRA point leader C.J. Johnson started on the front row for the twenty-five lap feature with Stasa taking the lead as the green flag fell. Third starting Bruce, aboard the familiar Ochs Brothers MAP Inc./Heefe Farms #1x sprinter, settled into the runner up position with Johnson and Jake Martens the top four after one lap was complete.

Stasa held a five car length lead utilizing the top of the three-eighths mile oval while Bruce stayed glued to his rear bumper. Then on lap eight, Bruce drove underneath Stasa entering turns one and two to take the lead heading down the back stretch.

One lap later, Johnson passed Stasa for the runner up position and set his sights on the leader and on lap eleven, executed a slide job entering turns one and two and took the lead as the leaders had their first encounter with slower the back of the field.

That seemed to wake the former Liberal resident, now calling Owasso, Oklahoma home, as he returned the same pass for the lead entering turns one and two one lap later.

Bruce would open a half stretch lead over Johnson with ten laps to go and as the leader came upon more slower cars, Johnson made things interesting with seven laps to go, pulling up to the rear of the #1x sprinter.

But Bruce kept the pace out front and would hold off Johnson the final laps to claim the caution free feature by a mere three car lengths.

C.J. showed me where I needed to be when he got by me, said an elated Bruce. I was able to get back by him there in one and two and just kept running where I had been as I never saw his front bumper again. It was a fitting victory for Bruce as his TBJ Promotions promoted the Steve King Memorial from 2009-2013 at the Jetmore Motorplex before the event moved to Dodge City Raceway Park last year.

Johnson held on to second for his fourth consecutive top five finish of the season and had to hold off a hard charging Jake Bubak, who was just one car length behind the defending series champion at the finish line.

Martens settled for fourth while Stasa held on for a fifth place finish.

The three, eight lap heat races for the 26 car field were won by Johnson, Stasa and Bruce while Joe Wood, Jr. claimed the twelve lap B feature.

In B feature action, current series rookie of the year contender Josh Fairbank encountered the front stretch wall and executed a series of flips down the front stretch. Fairbank was uninjured and done for the night.

The NCRA and ASCS Red River region will be back in action tonight (Sunday) at 81 Speedway in Park City with race time slated for a 7:00 PM start time.

NCRA/ASCS Sprints

Dodge City Raceway Park/Dodge City, Kansas

June 27, 2015

26 Cars

1st Heat: 1) 45x-C.J. Johnson, 2) 48-Jake Martens, 3) 8-J.D. Johnson, 4) 5x-Jason Martin, 5) 8m-Kade Morton, 6) 11-Joe Wood, Jr., 7) 8x-Alex Sewell, 8) 26-Fred Mattox, 9) 72-Ray Seemann.

2nd Heat: 1) 91-Jeff Stasa, 2) 9x-Jake Bubak, 3) 20-Luke Cranston, 4) 10c-Jeremy Campbell, 5) 81-Jon Freeman, 6) 05m-Charles McManus, 7) 6-Kaden Taylor, 8) E85-Billy Alley. DNS: 20g-Jake Greider.

3rd Heat: 1) 1x-Tony Bruce, Jr., 2) 2-Mickey Walker, 3) 5-Ty Williams, 4) 4x-Shawn Petersen, 5) 51-Josh Fairbank, 6) 21x-Taylor Velasquez, 7) 7-Michelle Decker, 8) 33-Koby Walters.

B Feature: 1) 11-Joe Wood, Jr., 2) 21x-Taylor Velasquez, 3) 8x-Alex Sewell, 4) 26m-Fred Mattox, 5) 7-Michelle Decker, 6) 72-Ray Seemann, 7) 33-Koby Walters, 8) 05m-Charles McManus, 9) 6-Kaden Taylor, 10) E85-Billy Alley, 11) 51-Josh Fairbank. DNS: 20g-Jake Greider.

A Feature: 1) 1x-Tony Bruce, Jr., 2) 45x-C.J. Johnson, 3) 9x-Jake Bubak, 4) 48-Jake Martens, 5) 91-Jeff Stasa, 6) 4x-Shawn Petersen, 7) 2-Mickey Walker, 8) 20-Luke Cranston, 9) 10c-Jeremy Campbell, 10) 5x-Jason Martin, 11) 5-Ty Williams, 12) 8-J.D. Johnson, 13) 11-Joe Wood, Jr., 14) 8m-Kade Morton, 15) 81-Jon Freeman, 16) 72-Ray Seemann, 17) 8x-Alex Sewell, 18) 7-Michelle Decker, 19) 21x-Taylor Velasquez, 20) 26m-Fred Mattox.

Archived