Thomas to race in three events in ASCS Natl Sprint Cars, one in USAC

rebelracewriter

Versatile Tyler Thomas to race in three events in ASCS National Sprint Cars, one in USAC National Midgets this week

June 16, 2015 - Versatile Tyler Thomas of Collinsville, Okla., will shift his attention to the Lucas Oil American Sprint Car Racing National Series this week, racing at Lawton (Okla.) Speedway on Wednesday, Creek County Speedway in Sapulpa, Okla., on Thursday and Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Mo., on Saturday.

Im especially excited to race at home, the 19-year-old American Racing Custom Wheels-backed driver said. We could have a couple of good runs ahead that could take us into the top five and to the next level.

Thomas will be driving the Jeff Smith-owned Maxim 360. Thomas finished fourth in his debut with Smith at Lucas Oil Speedway on May 2 in an ASCS Warrior Division race, his 11th in a winged sprint car.

Im very happy to race with Jeff Smith again, Thomas said. Im getting more and more comfortable each time Im in the winged cars and working with Jeff helps me learn more and more.

Thomas will complete Indiana Midget Week, part of the Honda USAC National Championship, on Sunday at Kokomo Speedway. The event was rescheduled because of rain and wet grounds last Sunday.

Thomas has been strong in the four Indiana Midget Week events, a USAC National Midget career-best second at Lawrenceburg on June 13, seventh at both Bloomington (June 12) and Lincoln Park in Putnamville (June 11) and eighth at Gas City I-69 Speedway on June 10. Thomas has finished in the top eight in all six USAC National Midget events and is tied for second with Kevin Thomas Jr. of Cullman, Ala., with 295 points. Tracy Hines of New Castle, Ind., is the leader with 304.

Its pretty cool to be up in the USAC National points, Thomas said. It doesnt feel like its that great of a season so far, but hopefully we can keep it up and be in contention for the championship at the end of he season. That would be awesome. Indiana Midget Week has been great. If we could just start qualifying better, we might be able to win one. We cant seem to get it free enough for qualifying. Weve had a great car to work with every night.

Thomas drove his Spike-Esslinger from 15th starting position to second in the 30-lap feature at Lawrenceburg.

It took us about 20 laps before we got into the top five, Thomas said. We were third on a restart behind Rico Abreu and Bryan Clauson with three laps to go. I passed Bryan for second, but we had another caution and a green-white-checkered restart. Kevin Thomas slid me on the restart and I had to cross over to defend second. By the time I did that, Rico was long gone.

Thomas is also third in the Indiana Midget Week points with 202. Abreu is the leader with 257 and Clauson is second with 256.

Tyler Thomas will race in the American Racing Custom Wheels Spike-Esslinger on Sunday in the Indiana Midget Week finale at Kokomo Speedway.

Archived