1995 Mercury idles rough

I have a '95 mercury grand marquis w/ 4.6 L V8 that has been in the family since new...no major work ever done on it. Its got around 114,000 miles on it, and I recently replaced the plugs and plug wires (first time since new), and the problem persists. The plugs just looked like they'd been in too long, which they had, but no other hints as to detination or whatever. I'm a poor college student whos got no money for a real mechanic to look at, and I only work on lawn mowers so I'm no expert. Figured someone here might know something about this.

Does it have a misfire?

A way to check is to take a peice of paper to the muffler and if it makes a popping noise than a misfire is evident.

When does the rough idle occur?

Try testing the TPS sensor first. (throttle position sensor) sensor is located on the back of the Throttle body.

Let me know

sean B)

Smokin, My field of expertise is mostly limited to SBCs and 14K RPM Honda Bikes but I’ve had the problem you describe with SBCs, Honda Bike motors and a number of other older cars I’ve worked on and its always seems to come down to a vacuum line. I’ve seen vacuum lines that looked fine at first glance that when bent showed to be cracked, I’d look over all the lines and especially the line ends very closely and if any of them look marginal replace them.

James Higdon

Archived