Driver Makes Most of Second Chance at Super Chevy Show‏

For Immediate Release

Driver Makes Most of Second Chance
Annual Super Chevy Show wraps up with winners in racing, car show

MILLINGTON, Tenn. (April 13) - Chance Lykens took some lumps at his first Super Chevy Show last year.

As an 18-year-old, the Lamar, Miss., native made a quick exit from Duracell.com Bracket 1.

"We didn't even win a round last year," Lykens said. "Lost, bought back and lost again."

Sunday was a completely different story for Lykens. As a grizzled veteran of 19, Lykens battled his way through some of the toughest cars that Duracell.com Bracket 1 of the Super Chevy Show had to offer.

Chance Lykens won the Duracell.com Bracket 1 class in just his second Super Chevy Show. For drag race results Click Here. For Car Show results, Click Here.
When the smoke cleared, Lykens had the winner's plaque, a nice fat check and a smile on his face that might not ever go away.

"This is so amazing, I can't even explain it," Lykens. "My grandpa has been my help and the reason why I'm racing. My dad died when I was 14 years old. My grandpa put me in a race car soon after that because he said I was too depressed and I needed something better, I needed a place to get away from everything."

Sunday night, Lykens was quick and consistent enough that no one could catch him.

Lykens wasn't the only winner at Super Chevy Show as all the bracket categories and the Promodifieds.us Southern Shootout were decided as well as all the class awards - including Best of Show - were handed out in the car show area.

In the Duracell.com Bracket 1 finals, Lykens went up against veteran bracket racer from Southaven, Miss., Rusty Ashmore. Lykens ran just about a picture perfect a final as you can get. He was off the line quicker than Ashmore then ran a 5.943 second pass at 109.67 mph on a 5.94 index. Ashmore's 6.860 at 99.97 on a 6.84 dial was good, but it was just Lykens' day.

"It's hard to race against all these experienced guys," Lykens said. "I get less nervous every round I go. I've raced against Rusty before and we've beat each other. But it's good to be able to race somebody like they're your buddy."

In addition to the plaque and prize money, Lykens - and the rest of the Super Chevy Show champions - took home the official awards jacket available exclusively to winners.

Todd Berry of Tuscumbia, Ala., drove his 1955 Chevy truck to victory in Bracket 2 over Memphis' Alex Hubbard. Berry ran a 6.851 at 99.45 mph on a 6.82 dial to Hubbard's breakout run of 5.802 at 125.97 mph on a 5.81 index.

"This is my fourth year in a row of being in the finals of Super Chevy," Berry said. "Sometimes it's your day and it's worked out for me at this race. There's a lot of good racers up here. I race (at MIR) and the locals here are tough. You add that to some hitters from other places and it's no piece of cake to win here."

Richard Holt of Giddens, Texas was the winner of the Promodifieds.us Southern Shootout over Randy Adler of Tinley Park, Ill. Adler jumped the gun by .004 seconds to foul out, making Holt's pass of 3.873 seconds at 197.42 stand a quite the quick victory lap.

Chad Pagan was the DOT Street winner with a 10.927 second lap at 117.18 mph on a 10.86 over Jimmy Ray's 10.652 second pass at 123.68 mph on a 10.59 dial.

Lawson Roberts won the Junior Dragster competition by beating Nicole Leo when she fouled out by 0.16 seconds. Roberts' pass was in 7.979 seconds at 81.08 mph on a 7.95 dial.

Over on the car show side of MIR, John Bedenbender of Mt. Vernon, Texas brought in a sleek 1962 Impala and drove out with the Best of Show award.

"I've been doing these shows for 20 years and this is the third car I've brought to Super Chevy that's won Best of Show," he said. "When we got married, I told my wife that maybe I can build one car every 10 years. We've been married almost 50 years and I've done five, so it's worked out. I've still got all five cars and the same wife, I'd say it's worked out."

For more information about upcoming events at Memphis International Raceway please go to racemir.com or call 901-WOW-RACE.

Archived