Altercation at SAS, 5/10/03

NickHolt

Missed the action Sat. night. If you can describe what happened, without being too explecit, sure would like to know. And are there any suspensions or penalties that might have been accessed? I know both of these racers and know they both are good racers. Could it have been just a "racin deal"?

Mel

Unfortunately I was in the middle of turn 1 and 2 changing lenses when the track went yellow. Depending on who's story u go by the rest is kinda up in the air. The yellow came out apparently from a spin with Larry Bendele and Ronnie Smith. During that lap appaently Damon and Jeff were bangin around the race track even under yellow. Well while coming across the Start finish line under yellow, Damon and Jeff were still bangin Jeff apparently hit Damon pretty hard one last time and using another drivers words Damon 'Cole Trickle'd' him. I saw the aftermath of the hit from my spot in 1 and 2 when as I started walking to the start finish line I saw Damon plow into the passenger side of Jeffs car sending Damon's car almost on its roof. Just to give you an idea on how far Damon was up in the air I could clearly see all of Damon's roof from 1 and 2. After that happened Damon and Jeff got out of thier cars and the action really started. I wasn't close enough to see the particulars although as Damon was led away from the action he pumped both fists in the air like he just won Daytona or something.... As far as suspensions go due to the severity of the altercation Damon and Jeff could be suspended for a rater long time maybe even for the year. If anyone has video of the who event I am sure Mr. Sepich would like to see it for that very purpose to determine what road to take.... O since I was nowhere close to the pits when this happened plus how fast things escalated I was not able to get pictures of that at all.....

:angry: that sort of on track action just makes me absolutely sick to my stomach, I would almost kill somebody to have the opportunity to be out on the track racing but I don't, I am stuck at home doing a little online racing and catching the local races whenever I can, dreaming one day of being out on the track racing with some of you guys, then these people go out and disrespect the sport of racing like that :angry:

From what I saw, Damon got a good run out of turn four on Jeff, but he drove Jeff straight into the front stretch wall and looked as if he kept him there all the way past the start/finish line. When I've seen similar situations, the inside car usually gives the other driver plenty of room and avoids from having an accident. I'm not too sure what Damon was thinking, but maybe he thought there was a lot more track. The guy I saw Damon fighting with was wearing shorts, if that was Jeff, he sure changed pretty quick. They stopped the first altercation, and just when I thoght it was over as Damon started walking back to his pitting area, he came charging back at the guy in shorts again and they both went to the floor. This will definetly hurt the car count in the late model class.

I'm not sure if the rule is in effect at SAS, but most local and regional racing organizatons hold the driver directly responsible for his/her crew's conduct. This leaves Mike Sepich with a difficult decision to make. Suspend both drivers and lose two cars? Suspend one but not the other and face whatever consequences would stem from that? Ignore the situation and hope it just goes away?

In my opinion, drivers intentionally ramming each other endanger everyone, not just the two going at it. If both did it, then both should be suspended. Period. And fighting has NO place in the sport. That's what hockey matches are for.

Nick Holt

I totally agree with sfrebel and Nick (there's a shock; Nick and I NEVER agree on anything!)

It's very frustrating to see drivers conduct themselves in this type of manner...however, I have never been a driver at a local race track, so I can't "speak from experience."

And, Nick is right on the money, in my opinion---the conduct of each drivers' crew is the responsibility of each driver, and drivers who ram each one intentionally puts EVERYONE at the track at risk. Hand down a suspension and have them learn their lesson the hard way.

I agree with sfrebel 100%. It just makes me sick to see that happen. Some guy thinks he won the Daytona 500 by waving his fist in the air because he ran over someone. That is why people like that will never make it in racing or anything else. He should be suspended at least for the rest of the season.

Although, I don’t condone the action on Saturday night. The track needs to be fair to both drivers. Who hit who under yellow, first? Wouldn’t that kind of be like throwing the 1st punch? Or entering someone else’s pit to start a argument. And what has the track done in the past? Think back to the Horelka/Smith altercation last year , what happened to them? Maybe you just have two very frustrated guys and maybe someone should have a meeting with them before passing judgment.

We’ll just have to wait and see!

chadden24,

Calling a driver or other person a derogatory name on this board is not allowed, even if it is the truth from your personal perspective. As you know, we have vowed to keep name calling and rudeness off this board.

I am well aware that there are other racing forums where bashing and name calling is perfectly acceptable. However, this is not the case here.

If you feel the need to discuss this further, please feel free to PM me or email me at cnholt@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Nick Holt

I say put the two drivers in question on the front strait and move everyone else to the pit area,and have a two car demolition derby,after the two (edited by Nick Holt, 5-14-03) are done tearing up what most of us cant afford,they can look at how much money it will take for thier stupid and childish actions to fix those high dollor play toys.Fans just love a good demo derby. :rolleyes::P

People with more money than cents$$$$$$$$

Nick,

The difference between Horelka and Smith was they went toe to toe in the pit after the race. One driver here tried to run over, bash or whatever a sitting duck with his car. HUGE difference. He could have seriously hurt someone. I am sure his sponsors/potential sponsors really loved that as well as his crew who works on the car. I agree with Boerne, however, take security the crowd and all of their buddies away and they would probably be shaking hands instead of trying to be like Mike (Tyson).

YOU SAID IT ALL GASMAN. EVERY DRIVER OUT AT THE TRACK HAS GOTTEN A LITTLE HOT UNDER THE COLLAR AT SOME POINT OR ANOTHER. THAT'S RACING. IT'S NORMAL TO SEE A DRIVER GIVE ANOTHER DRIVER THE ONE FINGER SALUTE OR EVEN A LITTLE BUMP DOWN THE BACK STRAIGHT AWAY JUST TO LET HIM KNOW HE WAS STILL THERE. WHAT HAPPENED SATURDAY NIGHT SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED BY TRACK OFFICIALS. THEY SHOULD DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO MAKE SURE A DRIVER THINKS TWICE BEFORE ATTEMPTING SUCH A WRECKLESS AND COWARDLY ACT.

HORSE POWER, THE SALAZAR RACING TEAM CHOSE TO SIT OUT THE REMAINDER OF THE RACING SEASON DUE TO A BAD CALL MADE BY THE OFFICIALS. WE WERE IN A POINTS RACE AND WERE DQ'ED BECAUSE A MIRROR DRIVER CHOSE TO SPIN HIMSELF OUT WITH OUR RIGHT FRONT FENDER. I HAVE IT ALL ON VIDEO IF ANYONE THINKS DIFFERENT. WE WERE NOT SUSPENDED OR FINED AS WAS THE OTHER PARTY.

JOHN SALAZAR CREW CHIEF LATEMODEL #18

crank-e i know you're view is slightly obscured because of your connection to the 18 but i was in the stands that night and know neither one of the cars and from what i saw you're driver came up into the 4 car and it also looked intentional. so then were the other 5 cars that the 18 car had wrecked throughout the year mirror driving? looks to me that there was a trend with 1 certain car (#18) being in wrecks with people and i hadnt seen the other car drive up into people all year causing them to wreck. but thats just my 2 cents.

WELL FIRST OF ALL WE WERE TALKING OF ONE PARTICULAR INCIDENT, AND AS I STATED, I HAVE VIDEO TO PROVE IT. BUT, IF YOU NEED MORE THAN MY OPINION, VIDEO, JUST ASK KEVIN BENDELE WHO WAS ALMOST TAKEN OUT OF THAT SAME RACE BY THAT SAME DRIVER FOUR LAPS EARLIER. AS FAR AS TAKING OUT FIVE OTHER DRIVERS, I THINK YOUR OPINION IS SLIGHTLY EXAGGERATED, BUT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION. LAST YEAR WE HAD A VERY FAST CAR, AND A ROOKIE DRIVER WITH LITTLE PATIENCE, BUT IT WAS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE. WE ARE NOW "ROOKIES" TO THIS LATE MODEL CLASS, AND I GUARANTEE YOU MISTAKES WILL BE MADE. BUT IT IS ONLY THROUGH LEARNING FROM OUR MISTAKES THAT WE CAN CONTINUE TO BETTER OURSELVES.

From what I remember, I think there was a wreck with some slower cars just ahead of the bunch, so maybe Alexander try to cut to the inside to avoid the wreck, so it wasn't intentional by either driver. Wrecks will happen, but for a racer to go after another after the race was over, it was probably more than 15 minutes form the time of the accident, he should have had enough time to calm himself down. I think ROMCO raced right b4 them and Chris was getting into it with Hooks or someone in the pits.

Archived