Tyler Thomas returns to midgets in USAC Western Worlds

rebelracewriter

Tyler Thomas returns to midgets in USAC Western Worlds after four-event stint in sprint cars

PEORIA, Ariz. (Nov. 18, 2014)Tyler Thomas of Collinsville, Okla., will climb into his midget for the first time since Sept. 13 when he drives in the three-event 47th annual Sands Chevrolet USAC Western World Championships on Thursday, Friday and Saturday at Canyon Speedway Park.

Thomas raced in the Western Worlds, part of USACs Honda National and Western Midget championships, a year ago and finished seventh in the Saturday feature. The 18-year-old has attained veteran status in midgets with four seasons in the POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series and also has raced in USAC. Thomas has four victories in POWRi, including one this season when he finished sixth in the championship even though he missed several events due to his seven-event stock car commitment at New Smyrna Beach, Fla.

We ran well at the Western Worlds last year, Thomas said. We had a top-five run and I made a mistake near the end and we finished seventh. I think our cars are betterweve figured out a lot on our cars this year--and Ive gotten better and we like the (three-eighths mile) track. Im excited about it. Our consistency has been there all year and we always find our way into the top five. I think well be competing for a win.

Thomas has had a strong season when racing with the USAC national series in co-sanctioned events with POWRi. He was third in the feature at Angell Park Speedway in Sun Prairie, Wis., on Aug. 17 and fifth at Kokomo, Ind., on April 12.

Thomas has spent the past two weekends racing in four American Sprint Car Series National events. Driving for car owner Robert Miller of El Paso, Texas, Thomas finished sixth in the feature at Southern New Mexico Speedway in Las Cruces on Nov. 8, was 12th at Cocopah Speedway in Somerton, Ariz., on Nov. 14 and 15th at El Paso Speedway Park on Nov. 7. He missed the feature by one position, finishing sixth in his heat and the B main, at Cocopah on Nov. 14.

We should have had better finishes, Thomas said. I expected to make the shows (features), but we had some bad luck and made a few mistakes and we didnt get the results we wanted. Overall, we had a good run and after being in four races at three different tracks, I feel a lot better about myself as a sprint car driver.

Thomas had limited experience in the 360-cubic-inch powered ASCS Sprint Cars, which also feature wings. He had raced in two ASCS events, in the Gulf South division, in early May previously this year. Thomas expects a more extensive schedule in ASCS next season.

Well be running some more ASCS races next year and I think we can win some races, Thomas said.

Thomas will be racing for his family-owned team led by crew chief father Brian in the Western Worlds and at the famed USAC Turkey Night Grand Prix at Perris (Calif.) Auto Speedway on Nov. 27.

We havent been in the midget for a pretty long time, Thomas said. Im looking forward to it.

For further information, go to www.tylerthomasmotorsports.com.

Archived