Thomas enthused for Late Model Pro 50 lapper at New Smyrna Speedway

Tyler Thomas enthused for Late Model Pro 50 lapper at New Smyrna Speedway

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. (Oct. 13, 2014)Tyler Thomas of Collinsville, Okla., prefers 50-lap features over the 25 lappers in the Late Model Pro division at New Smyrna Speedway for two reasons: the longer distance provides double the racing experience and the starting field is set by qualifying rather than the luck of the draw.

The 18-year-old stock car and pavement rookie will run his third 50-lapper Saturday night on the half-mile oval. He finished third on May 17 and second on July 19 in his previous 50s. Thomas qualified eighth for both. They were the first and third late model races of his career.

I like the 50 lappers, Thomas said. They give me more valuable experience and the best way to learn is to race these guys. Theyre not so chaotic as the 25 lappers. Theyre so short, guys drive so much more intensely. They go for it from lap one and you are doing well just to stay out of trouble and get to the checkered flag in one piece.

Im also excited about qualifying. Ive qualified eighth for the previous 50 lappers. I made a mistake the last time and I know I can do better than Ive done.

Thomas has a win on June 21, a second place on Aug. 9 and was fourth last Saturday night in his third 25-lap feature. He drew ninth starting position.

We got go up to third right off the bat, Thomas said. We had a little racing luck with cars falling out at the beginning. We had a caution and restarted third and were passing for the lead when the red flag came out for another crash. After the restart, our car got really tight and we went back to fourth and maintained it. The car finished in one piece. I thought starting on the inside for the second restart hurt me. The competition is so close, its really difficult to pass.

Thomas fourth-place finish was his first in a late model out of the top three.

I knew the race would come when the top-three streak wasnt going to stay alive, he said. Fourth isnt too bad. Im really looking forward to two 50 lappers in the next three weeks.

Thomas closes out the late-model portion of his 2014 schedule at New Smyrna on Nov. 1. Hell return to his Midget later in November in Arizona and California and in December in Illinois.

For further information, go to www.tylerthomasmotorsports.com

Archived